Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V2 & Improved Dynamic Range for FLEX-6300

KS0CW
KS0CW Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Any one know the details related to the IMD dynamic range performance improvement the 6300 gets in SmartSDR V2?

Answers

• John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited July 2017
    I'd like to know too...
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Mee too!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    The details of what we did to improve the dynamic range w/o modifying the hardware is being treated as company IP (intellectual property), so we are not divulging the details.  Sorry.  I suspect our competitors would like to know how we did it also ;-)
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I think my question was misunderstood, not after how or what was done. As i didn't realize it was broke---:) Gerald, I'm trying to understand what this improved IMD will get me over what it was, sounds like it will give me better ears... Will what you did in v2 be included in the 1.11 maintenance release?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Yes, you will hear weak signals better with adjacent strong signals (improved IMD DR3) and the strong signal handling capabilities (overload level) have improved, minimizing distortion at high signal levels.  It got better all around.

• KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Tim, Gerald broke down what the "improved IMD" gets me over what i have today... will this fix be included in the 1.11 maintenance release?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Improved IMD may get you nothing or it may get you everything, it just depends on how harsh the RF environment  in which you find yourself.  I think the improved ADC overload may be as important as the IMD number I think both are impressive.  I have a 6300 and was considering a 6400 upgrade but since I almost never use the radio I may just go with a V 2 upgrade on the 6300 

73  W9OY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What is intersting is why something has improved on my 6500. I saw Dave W2OX on air a few days ago and his IMD or transmition went way down through the noise floor. Now today I was on 40M and many said I looked the same,  something changed for the better.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'm inclined to wait for the fix to be ported to 1.11 maintenance release as i'm not after any of the new features in v2.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yes it will be in 1.11.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good to know. Well this improvement be noticeable while running nb and wnb?
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Does it apply to 6300 only? 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    That applies to the 6300 only because of its lower sampling rate.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited July 2017
    You probably would not notice a thing unless you had the lab equipment to measure it. It's the difference between your car being able to top at at 140 vs 150 mph.
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks!

• KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Ria...
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited August 2017
    Bill, I believe you are observing the improved high pass filter cutoff on the digital transmitter filter passband.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You *might* notice it in a contest weekend, on a crowded band with many strong signals. Or you may not. However being a contest op myself, I'd say that being able to use your radio is far more important than what it's capable of...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.