Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V2 and windows 10 update DAX issues.

Andy M5ZAP
Andy M5ZAP Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi,

I am running V2 Smart SDR on windows 10

I have never previously had an issue with any Windows 10 updates but last night I applied the latest windows 10 update (Quite a major one) and on reboot my DAX control panel reported a problem.

I know other people had DAX driver issues previously when updating windows.

On investigation in the windows device manager DAX IQ channels 1 and 4 had been renamed "DAX Audio RX1" & 4. Channels 2 and 3 remained working OK and were named "DAX IQ RX2" & 3

Uninstalling V2 and the DAX driver and reinstalling sorted the problem out.

Not sure if its a deficiency in windows or the Smart SDR DAX driver itself.

Also be careful to read the instructions during the uninstall, first time I didn't read them properly and when the yes or no buttons were offered with regards to the dax driver I clicked yes assuming it was asking if I wanted to uninstall the driver, in fact it was asking if I wanted to leave the driver on the system ;)

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    There is a lot to like about Win 10.  I have to work in it (coding) every day.  There is also a lot to be really frustrated by.  Twice now I've had my work computer decide it needed to update while I was away in a meeting.  Come back to find it updating away.

I have tried a number of things to prevent Windows updates but there are some that unless you are a true big enterprise organization seem to get through regardless.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The only reliable cure that I have found, so far, for this phenomenon is Windows 7.

When it comes to producing a reliable production operating system, Microsoft has lost their way.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I also never had any problems as any update was done while my 6500 was off. That "major" update also caused the same problem for me, thankfully just before v2.0 was released. It all presented itself with motivation to start clean. I'm wondering if anyone has discovered exactly what files get changed? Might it be possible to simply restore only those files from an incremented backup?
  • Dave - G3SBP
    Dave - G3SBP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I've just had the same problem but followed the instructions provided by FLEX under "How to manually re-install DAX Drivers" but of course changing the Folder to the new SmartSDR v2.0.17"

It's lengthy process but worked thank goodness!

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Windows 10 is the killer of drivers. It is apparently starting on video drivers as well as audio ones now. I haven't had that one.

I found that WSPR was killed by the latest update. Wasn't expecting that one.

But I have taken the approach of revolution deep uninstalling and reinstalling everything whenever I get an update. It then becomes something I just have to do as habit instead of getting angry at a superb radio on a poor Operating System.

As for whether it is Flex software's problem or Windows 10's problem, I can state with certainty that my Windows 7 installation on my ima wurring in Bootcamp has not failed once. People can draw their conclusions from that, but if I had to have reliability, I'd stick with 7.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    As best as we can tell, it is a Windows issue. Other drivers have issues with the Win10 updates, not just DAX.
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    To stop the Windows 10 update, I set the property of the connection to "metered", I just have to manage the updates properly after that...

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How is that done?
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I also was a victim today of the latest Win 10 update.
    Needed to uninstall and install the DAX drivers manually with success.

This is the second time I have had to recover DAX from a Win 10 update.

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Got me too on V1 so I guess the fix is to do a complete uninstall and then reinstall.

Is that correct?
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    I did a complete uninstall being careful when being asked if you want to leave the dax driver on the system you say no. Then you reinstall. All fixed! Messed my dxlab up as well. Which I'm still trying to fix!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Yes, same fix as it was with v1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.