Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v2.0 SmartLink works Great !

Michael Aust
Michael Aust Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

V2.0 SmartLink works Great !

Found V2.0 to be much more enjoyable experience (faster, smoother operation) for Remote than the VPN Rasberry-Pi approach on my Slug Slow DSL line here with top upload speeds of 0.350Mbytse/sec. For now I do not have to pay those outrageous FIOS & Cable Internet providers for a slug slow DSL Copper Land Line Rural $14.95/month Internet

Can see the Waterfall and have One Pan-Adapter open at virtually any of the Coffee Shops in my Area, Peet's Coffee House, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Denny's and Hotel Wi-Fi's as long as I use the Low BW Connection and keep the frames & rates down, audio is excellent.

My BufferBloat Grade is an amazing F, so sometimes I get a few pops in the audio, but on Slow Slug Frontier/Verizon DSL, it is amazing ! With VPN approach had V1.10.xx crash most of the times unless I got lucky ! The new V2.0 SSDR with SmartLink will pay for itself in a short time  in a matter of months at this rate, well worth the $200 for the upgrade from FlexRadio Systems !!

Also using an Acer Switch 10 NetBook computer with Windows 10 I found at Costco, works great and for the first time !

set up the detachable windows in V2.0.17 SSDR to drive a Big 65 inch screen TV thru the Netbook's HDMI port, amazing to see it Panadapter and Waterfall with no Windows Clutteron the screen !

I think if I got a better BufferBloat grade some of that would go away, but I say there was a world of improvement between V1.10.xx and V2.0 with the ability to Select Low BW Connection. Think the Engineer's at Flex got it right !

Ben running V2.0 on 24Hrs/7days a week for almost 2 weeks, no freeze-up's, etc.

Had a few Hams test my system and they were amazed by working DX on 20meters thru my HexBeam, my remote Flex6700 and these local ham's were in HOA restricted condo's and now they are excited about the way things played so well.

Flex V2.0 SmartLink is amazing compared to the Elecraft ( No Remote Scope ) or limited Scope on the Kenwood. Gave up on the Icom IC-7300 with the RS-BA1, to complicated to get up and running.

Need I same more, FlexRadio got it right this time !

73 Mike

Comments

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    By using both UPnP Feature and Manual Forward Ports scheme with SmartLink, this is rock solid on my Remote System here with my Flex6700 !
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Why do you have to port forward the ports with UPnP?

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

I do Both just in case but I think as long as you get the Green Light, your good to go !

Guess I want to make sure there are ports are always open for the WAN !

Went I just do just Manual, thru the router, sometimes it was not responsive via WAN, so now I

do both, it works 100% of the time, maybe a Router thing, it work's, so I don't complain about it !

UPnP Procedure

PASS TCP

PASS UDP

and

Manual Forward Procedure on Router

PASS

PASS

So if I get All Four to say PASS, it works so I can not criticize it with success !

Like I said, my Router may be acting strange, so I do both, it works great !

73 Mike

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You really only need to do one or the other. In fact doing both exposes you to additional security risks.

But I am glad it's working for you. 
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Ria,

Between Port Forwarding versus UPnP, which do you prefer, which may be more secure ? Speed versus Security, etc, my Mac is on same Ethernet HUB switch behind my DSL router , so don't want to expose that computer to much danger ?

Mike

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    If I had to choose between the two I would do the manual port forwarding. 
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Thanks, will give that a try

Mike

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ria,

Well, after much experimenting, Even though I do Manual Port forwarding only in my
    Router, And the Router on 192.168.1.1, SmartLink does not recognize it.

But when I do UPnP and undo the Manual Port Forwarding in the Router, all is Green to Go with the SmartLink Test, so for now, I think I stuck with UPnP

I am glad something works, my DSL company was of no help when I 
    called about Port Forwarding for Port 4993 & 4994 on their Router !
    Third Party Blah ! Blah ! Blah ! We do not support it ! Blah ! 

The DSL Router said these were Forwarding but SmartLink did not recognize it and 
    was not connect thru WAN but only thru my LAN

Only when I use UPnP do things work !

Mike

• Timo - OH5KW
    Timo - OH5KW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    In my case manual port forwarding did not work with fixed IP in Flex.
    Instead I used DHCP to fetch IP from the router. Now manual port forwarding worked with that IP ok. Then I set that IP as reserved in the router. Whenever I switch on the Flex it will get the same IP from DHCP server. I think it is called also DHCP with manual IP.  Hope this helps.
    73, Timo OH5KW
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Timo,
      Thanks, we will give that a try, Flex should document this for others  with same issue.
    Mike

Possibly is this the same issue 
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/do-no-upgrade-to-1-9-7?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%...

>>
    In my case manual port forwarding did not work with fixed IP in Flex. 
    Instead I used DHCP to fetch IP from the router. Now manual port forwarding worked with that IP ok. Then I set that IP as reserved in the router. Whenever I switch on the Flex it will get the same IP from DHCP server. I think it is called also DHCP with manual IP.  Hope this helps.
    73, Timo OH5KW
    >>

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.