Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v2.0

Larry , W8LO
Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just sitting here wondering....  It seems the big deal on V2.0 is the remote capability.  As I do not have any interest in remote operation, does this mean my latest software (1.10.16) will be the last upgrade I will see until I fork over the $200 more or less for something I will never use?

Inquiring minds want to know....

W8LO
Larry

Answers

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Supposedly, there should be maintenance i.e. bug fixes releases. For instance, there is still the 1.10.16 lockup issues that needs to be resolved.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We have already been told there will be maintenance releases that will always be free, in other words not require to upgrade to v2.0. There is no reason to speculate and doubt otherwise.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Mike is correct.  There will be maintenance releases as necessary for 1.x and we are planning one right after 2.0 is released.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    1.x is feature complete. This means that no new features will be added to 1.x unless Flex makes an exception. As Mike said, there will be maintenance releases. So you won't see an "upgrade" per se, but you will see bug fixes. 
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I sure hope they make an exception. Otherwise, those still waiting for features and fixes originally promised in V1 are getting the short end of the stick! I have no issue with FRS charging for v2 (and remote access), but in all fairness, v1 still needs work to be considered complete by any means. IMO, V2 has more to offer than just remote access or long overdue bug fixes before the majority will bite. And that opinion is based on conversations with many 6000 series owners, on air and in person at hamfests & other ham functions.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Eric,

I don't recall seeing a list of what features/fixes that were promised in v1 when I purchased the 6000 this past January, is it available somewhere?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    As Ria has restated, 1.x is feature complete. Flex products are more than just flexible as the company name inspires. Every software release has potential of being something awesome, innovative and ground breaking. I am excited for a major new release v2.0 and what it will offer beyond SmartLink. Something the complainers should be reminded of that other so-called major brands just cannot do. So who is more left behind and getting the short end of the stick?

My Icom 7600 that is just over 2 years old is what it is and will never be anything more than the day it was manufactured. Period. Do I feel Icom has abandoned me and all it's other users. No, because I knew exactly what I was buying. Just as I knew what Flexradio would have to offer, a new radio with each release. Like I've said before a new release reminds me of when I was a kid and got just one present for Christmas, a Heathkit. Instead of wrapped box under the tree, now it's an .exe file from Flexradio. A major release is something even more special. I for one respect the amount of effort that goes into in planning, developing and releasing both hardware and software and commend the entire Flexradio team in advance of this new major release.

For those insist on venting there issues publicly here, try and restrain yourselves. I can understand disappointment for those expecting their feature wish gets put into v2.0 but to get all negative and critical is just plain, how can I say it nicely, counter productive.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I think people get confused with open discussions here and over time they come to think it has become a promise from developers.

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    No confusion here. Based on pre-purchase questions posed to the Flex sales team prior to purchase. I guess I should have recorded those conversations? I've met and spoke to other hams who recalled similar conversations prior to jumping from a 3000/5000/Anan to an SSDR radio. Oh, that image of the roadmap that was recently posted - I seem to recall a much more detailed version towards the end just prior to being done away with.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just curious as to what features you are waiting on for V1.  What did Flex tell you that would be added as features?
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    Key words - you knew what you were buying when you bought the 7600. And so did I when I bought my Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu radios.

Those who bought early 7600/7700/7800s even got more than they bargained for with the widely successful Icom v2.0 release. To top it off, they did it free of charge. Some early on bought the 6000 series radios based on promises and expectations. Some even on preorder.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    Audio scope, full recorder functionality, ability to change and customize panadapter screens, bw filter presets, many other functions available in PowerSDR.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I don't see where this was promised though. Availability in PowerSDR doesn't mean it will be available in 1.x. 
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I got more than I bargained for with my ICOM too - overshoot!   To their credit they fixed the problem – but long after it was released.    

Howard
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Oh wow, one software release big thrill but it was a pleasant surprise. Didn't do much for me, no features I wanted, they must have abandoned me and many other I spoke to. See how silly it sounds.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    What roadmap did Flex just publish, Eric? 

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sounds like your best bet is to buy that Icom, Eric. Then  you will have all of the suport you need, and you won't have to deal with a radio that you don't like.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    You are obviously don't read well. . I own them all. I never said I didn't like the Flex. I just don't have to like it when I am told one thing and receive another.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    Ria - there lies the issue. We were told these things pre-sale, or at the time of purchase early on.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited June 2017
    Mike - someone posted an image of an early roadmap earlier today. It may have.been in a similar v2 related post.
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited June 2017
    Mike, according to your first reply on this thread you are an official of this company....is that correct? If so, I certainly hope you are not connected to the sales or Cust. Service depts. IMO, your comments are actually hurting the FRS image. Tom, W4TMW 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    If I'm the Mike you're referring to Tom, I am not an official of Flexradio. I'm just a happy Flex user who just doesn't understand some of the unwarranted disrespect shown from time to time in this public forum. As not being an employee or representative at this point I do not have to be politically correct.

In my post "Oh wow, bla bla", I was obviously being sarcastic and repeating a similar comment of another poster referring to my Icom radio to demonstrate how silly it sounds to accuse manufacturer of abandoning their customers. If that offends anyone I apologize for pointing out the obvious. If others find it appropriate and humorous I double down on the comment.

current owner - 6700, 5000A RX2-ATU-VU5K, 2MLDPA, Antenna Genius & Maestro
    previous owner - 2nd 5000A, 6500
    future owner - Power Genius, Tuner Genius, who knows what else the future holds
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Everything published on the previous roadmap for 1.x is in the current v1.x  software.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.