v1.8 Update? Safe to upgrade on 6300 without Maestro?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I do not own a Maestro.  Can I upgrade to v1.8?  Can I download and install it>

The only comments I see are about Maestro.

Joe K0BX
Photo of Joe Duerbusch

Joe Duerbusch

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
YES you can and it works very well. It is recommended that you DO NOT upgrade if you also own a Maestro and want to use it with your radio.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
If it is a problem, don't use it. If it isn't a problem, go for it. You won't know if you don't try.
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
I'm using an amp.. no issue here
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes

@Gary H

You mean the power fold back issue NOT seen by any on the Alpha Testers that only seems to affect a very small minority of users with older Tube based amplifiers such as the ALS-600 and ONLY when using the TUNE function but not when using SSB

Like Ken said. go for it.. if your system does not have foldback issues, the extra protection for your finals is worth it...

BTW.. I am using an AMP.. absolutely no problem whatsoever here with all sorts of drive levels and all sorts of different use cases...

(Edited)
Photo of Dave WB9WHG

Dave WB9WHG

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have an Amp, but whether or not I use it (I only use it for SSB), the power fold-back is a problem. I use CW most of the time, without the Amp turned on, and the power output, at any level above 24 Watts, folds back.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 533 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Isn't the ALS-600 a solid state amp?
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Don't feed the troll guys, Gary H only posts to try to get a reaction, never any value or insight in any of his posts. Best to ignore him/her/it.
Photo of Joe Duerbusch

Joe Duerbusch

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you Salvador.  I guess I did not make myself clear.  If v1.8 available for download off the Flex Radio server?
Joe K0BX
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes

Did you look at the reverse power on your antenna.. Use the FlexMeter - it will show you the reflected power levels...

Likely you have RF ingress somewhere in your system

Photo of Mike W9OJ

Mike W9OJ

• 104 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
What kind of tubes are in an ALS-600?
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 91 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
No tubes -- four TMOS RF power FET finals

Larry KB1VFU
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
@Howard, I don't have an issue with 1.8 even with the amp (KPA500).. my comment was to the original poster ... i.e. (Yes it is safe to upgrade without the maestro)
Photo of Dave WB9WHG

Dave WB9WHG

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wellll, I have my Amp bypassed, my antenna has 1.25:1 SWR, and even into my station dummy load, on CW power levels > 24W, it folds back. My Kenwood TS-570 works great. I'll call in and open a ticket. No more missing dits, however!
Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 26 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yes I see the same results here too.  I understand they are looking into the cause and cure
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3891 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
In yet so many see no fold back at all,,strange...
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3891 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Interesting? I didn't blame the end user, pointing out it is strange that many have no problems. it looks like as Tim mentioned certain amps will cause Flex problems with  this feature till fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
The short answer is yes.  There is an issue with the new SWR foldback feature that is affecting a small percentage of users with certain amps and autotuners.  We are actively testing a fix to the SWR foldback issue.  Initial testing is showing promising results and the fix should be included in the next release of SmartSDR for Windows.

If this issue affects you, as previously noted, reverting back to the previous version of SmartSDR is the recommended course of action until we have the issue resolved.
Photo of K4MT

K4MT

• 26 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thank you for the update.  
Photo of Bill N5TU

Bill N5TU

• 50 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
So, are we still in a holding pattern for updating Maestri (Italian plural) to 1.8?

VY 73, Bill, N5TU
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Yes. The situation is status quo (Latin).  If you successfully upgraded to 1.8.3, do not downgrade to a lower version.  If you have not downloaded 1.8.3, you still will not be able to do it, receiving the file not available, download error (or something to that effect).

Once the next version of SmartSDR (for Windows and Maestro) is released, then everyone will be able to upgrade.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.