Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v1.6.17 not connecting to my DX4WIN logging program?

k0eoo
k0eoo Member ✭✭
edited October 2020 in Third-Party Software
I followed release notes for installing V1.16 and now cannot connect DX4WIN logging program to 6500.  I'm running W10 with all latest updates.  DX4WIN has worked flawlessly with my 6500 for the last 2 years.  This is the first time I have had issues....  Running "Kenwood 2000" interface in DX4WIN as before.  I have attached the log for CAT for com5:image

I'm using COM5 as to 3rd party programs.  All my real and virtual ports are correct after upgrade but I noticed the new CAT didn't create two shared ports, com10-20 and 11-21, is this normal?

Also, when I try to ADD a port in the CAT for OTRSP, PTT or Winkeyer I do not get the "Client COM and CAT COM" displays.  I get Client COM and Radio 1& 2 slice boxes??

I just tried V1.16.17 with N1MM+ and logger and radio seem to be talking to each other just fine.   So radio is working but something broke trying to communicate with DX4WIN....

All help appreciated as I'm dead in the water....

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Send me an email at nealk3nc@gmail.com and I will give you a hand!

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Were you able to get this working? A friend of mine here in town is having the same problem.
    Doug K4DSP

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Dennis and Doug,

I have been able to investigate this on my own computers. I buy licenses to all Ham logging programs, even though I own DXBase, primarily to support other software suppliers as well as provide a test bed when working on Flex customer problems.

Anyway, DX4WIN is querying on the comm port the status of "VFOa" and "VFOb", and, as you know, the new CAT system only deals with 1 slice at a time. If you enter a FT1; command that puts the radio in 'split' mode, the FB command does provide a proper response but normally it will only return a ?.

DX4WIN is obviously awaiting a proper reply to the second vfo query and timing out the whole connection when it doesn't receive it.  In comparison, DXBase awaits the second vfo info and after timing out just accepts that only 1 vfo is reporting.

I have written Paul about what I have seen (and heard back from Flex) so we will see where it goes.

• Javi LU5FF
    Javi LU5FF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have the same problem, I have not been able to solve

73s
    Javi LU5FF
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, Neal. I've never used DX4WIN, but my friend has been using it for years and was disappointed that it stopped working with v1.6. It appears that DX4WIN hasn't been updated in 5 years, so it seems unlikely that any updates are forthcoming.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have heard from the author and apparently we can change the behavior without programmatic changes.  I will take a look later tonight.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I think this radio definition will work for you, download it, unzip it and put the flexradioSSDR.rig file into the radios folder of your DX4WIN installation.
    http://abrohamnealsoftware.com/flexradioSSDR.zip

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, Neal, but I get a 404 when I try to download the file.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Neal and et al,

I clean forgot about the VFO A&B issue with DX4WIN.  Hope your fix does the trick.  Neal, the link you give for the fix gives a 404 error....

Thank you for the help!
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Neal,  the patch seems to be working.  Thank you! I will do some more testing and let you know if I find any issues.  So far I can click on a spot and radio jumps to correct frequency.  Thank you!
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have  uploaded a newfile that makes spots work correctly I believe. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.