Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v1.10.15 once lost network connection and locked up during transmit

Frederic HB9CQK
Frederic HB9CQK Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I previously reported that the network connection loss problem is still existing with 1.10.15 beta. It is a lot less frequent than with the previous version. Running 24/7 in RX I had it once every day or second day before and with the current beta it is more like once a week. Not a big deal so far. However, this time it became more serious. Yesterday I was running my 6700 with 8 slice receivers running and 4 of them receiving data through DAX to JTDX. One slice receiver was used to send WSPR signals with 2W of power on 40m. All of a sudden SmartSDR crashed while the 6700 was transmitting the WSPR signal. I could not stop it transmitting other than pressing the power button for a long time. Fortunately I was sitting at the station when this happened, but I am not always so close when running WSPR. I was wondering if the 6700 has a watchdog of some sort, or would it transmit forever in such a situation?

Thank you very much for your support and good DX!

73, Frédéric, HB9CQK

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

My guess, a watchdog timer would need an extra piece of hardware that would time out if it failed to receive an acknowledgment at regular intervals from the firmware. This might be an oversight of the original design and would require an expensive factory update.

Jim, K6QE

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I agree we need somekind of auto tx shut off. This happened to med also in regular CE with 1 kW output when working remote. Luckely I was able to shut off over Remote ON.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This would never harm the radio, but not so good for the amp
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    There is such a watchdog in the radio settings.
  • Frederic HB9CQK
    edited February 2017
    Thanks George, I will check that out tonight. As Jim stated it needs to be separated from the firmware, since the firmware is locked up in the case I described.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@Frederic - the Watchdog tmeout setting configures the embedded code in the radio itself, which I think is what you were pointing out as the right solution.

I think it is called "PTT Timeout" in FRS's documentation, and is in the Transmit Profile.  Looks like it is configurable for every band and every TX Profile.

There are also some configurations for a Watchdog Timer in DDUTIL that may need to be reviewed as well.  Location I think is in the Misc. tab (form?) and a "W" bottom right of all the settings.

Steve K9ZW

• Frederic HB9CQK
    edited February 2017
    Dear Steve, thank you very much for your help! I found the "Timeout(min)" setting in the "TX" tab of "Settings". I set it to 3 minutes, because the WSPR TX cycle is 2 minutes. This is a general setting, not band specific. I am not using DDutil. Testing for success will be difficult, because I cannot simulate the lockup of the 6700. I still have my doubts that this will work because I think the firmware has to be operational for this to have an effect. Anyway, it is the best I can do for the time being. Thanks again and 73, Frédéric

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.