V 3 Release

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Is V3 still gonna be released the end of March . . . Getting awfully close to the end here.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 794 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1556 Posts
  • 769 Reply Likes
End on March? - I got my first copy a while back.

Actually that was the first of a number of paid/for Alpha releases of version 3.

FRS has done a run up of PR and sometimes releases documentation when they are ready to release.

So watch the community. And no it isn’t soup just yet, from what they put on the community.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 795 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I'm thankful all the Alpha testers don't feel the need to gloat.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
I would not call it gloating.. V3.0.1 Alpha totally bricked my 6700 which required a new internal SD Card with firmware to get working again... SO rather you should thank the Alphas for pain and suffering they go thru so you wont have the same issues...
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 787 Posts
  • 162 Reply Likes
Don't want to start something here BUT try to keep the flames down until you think about this. 

Not being a Alpha tester for V3 here I take my hat off to them because these guys's volunteer their time and work very hard to make sure that when V3 does come out it is as bug free as possible, Could you imagine how you would fill buying something at Best buy for $200 and get it home and it is full of Bugs and won't work for you? you would box it up and take it back to get a refund right. 

I bought a Kenwood TS570S for a RV install and 2 months later they came out with the newer updated TS570SG (a far better radio) to bad I couldn't just spend $200.00 to update the one I just bought to the SG model.

So please give them a break and be patent with them, when V3 does arrive it will be worth the $200 most of us will be happy to pay for a major radio upgrade that hopefully won't be broken some how. 

73's guys and have a wonderful day
WX7Y
Bret
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1556 Posts
  • 769 Reply Likes
@ Ralph KF4HR

You do bring up a good point - should the Alphas ignore the community and never post letting FRS be the one sole spokesman for that group?

Or should they post, respectful of their NDAs with FRS, fully knowing that they will almost always offend someone with a bad case of envy?

There isn' t a winning position.

Personally if I moderated the community I would close down these repeated "is it soup yet" threads every time the pop up, and similarly moderate "personal issue posts" that do not intend to further the discussion but rather are veiled "forum talk" calling each other low down while not crossing the line.

I'd also send back to posters undated and incomplete posts - you have a problem then tell the world when you had the problem and what your hardware/software/network (including version numbers) are.  

We've a change to become much more courteous to each other and better both the community and the product that way.

As it is any Alpha who seems like they are not just going to be a doormat to those who imagine themselves as forum policemen are a-okay in my book.  They have earned it.

Many of the Alphas neither mention they are Alphas when posting on the community or simply rarely post on the community at all because of the caustic disrespect they feel from the very group they are investing their time & talent helping.

All interesting things to ponder - and like being on the air you can always tune to a different frequency if you don't like a QSO, but you aren't going to shut down the other station be disapproving of them.

It's all about dialogue.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 152 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Can we have an alpha tester that knows something about cw contesting i.e. no full break-in, delay set to 0 and allow software to ptt. Oh look, that doesn’t work... how have people put up with this for 4 years? Answer : they haven’t, they have all left in disgust.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 794 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Nobody is gloating. I asked a simple question. If you dont like it don’t respond. I also did not say anything derogatory about Alpha testers. You people need to get off your high horse and not critisize every question someone makes
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1556 Posts
  • 769 Reply Likes
@ Steve WW1SS

Do you under the "@" sign?  @@@ .--.-.   .--.-.  .--.-.

Very simple Steve.  

But then again I think the comment about hitting a higher standard does apply regardless of the @ qualification.

I think we all can rise to a higher standard.

And I prefer wear the white hat to riding the high horse BTW.

Steve
K9ZW

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 421 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
The SSDR Version 3 FAQ has been updated.  SmartSDR v3.0 is expected to be available by mid April 2019.  
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
Thanks Zack
Photo of Sergey Abrikosov

Sergey Abrikosov

• 268 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 670 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
SmartSDR v3.0 is expected to be available by mid April 2019.
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 152 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
No, another unrealistic target
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1049 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Based on what information?
Unless you are an employee of FRS( one of their developers for instance) you have no way to know if that statement is true.
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 152 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Based on the date
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1049 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Stated time frame was changed to mid April.
Come May, and it's not out, then we can whine.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
I AGREE

NO WHINING BEFORE DAYTON
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1241 Posts
  • 480 Reply Likes
When I used to fix TV's and computers and would tell customers it would be ready much later than I thought it would and if for some reason I was wrong I would call them BEFORE the date promised. It's called customer relations. 
Some have waited 2 years for an amplifier they paid a deposit of $1000. The least that could be done is payment of interest.
 If I were Flex and I thought I could have something ready by the end of March I would have said June. I get that things happen but if I make an error of judgment I pay for it, not the other guy.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3891 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
It really does not matter. Who cares when the release is. And for putting a down payment down for something being developed? Anyone can opt out and ask for the down paymwnt back. I see no reason for complaining here at all.
Photo of Douglas Maxwell

Douglas Maxwell

• 152 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I’ll whine when it finally does come out and they still haven’t fixed the ptt in CW bug that has been reported since V1.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
For those who are veterans of this community you should already know that FRS will release an update only when they feel it is ready for release and not because of any public pressure.

For those who are new users to this community and FlexRadio, please understand the process of testing a software update is intense done by teams of very dedicated employees and users. It is in this stage they perhaps discover somethings that needs more work, then after that work is done the testing begins again. At some juncture they will get point where they are satisfied with the software and lock it down and prepare for the actual release. It will be released ONLY when it is deemed ready for release.

For FRS to give a target date is quite telling. It is really in the final stages and short weeks away rather than months.

My final thoughts, last I checked the only thing certain in life be it a hobby like this or real life, is death.

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3891 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Lol,,I would have used,,,,taxes....
Photo of Zack Schindler - N8FNR

Zack Schindler - N8FNR

• 152 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
To paraphrase Orson Wells speaking for Paul Masson wines "we shall sell no software before its time": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs6DcA6dFI

(Edited)