V 3.0 breakthrough for me!

• Praise
  • Updated 5 months ago
I had been a little discouraged that V3.0 wasn't going to have my big wish for using the Maestro as a control surface along with SSDR here on the desk so I was actually thinking of sitting out this upgrade...   then, I got it through my thick head last night that the Multi-client feature had some real use to me.  From my work prior to retiring I always have had the habit of keeping two desk tops going here for some convenience and security.  I sometimes use one for the 5000 and the other for the 6000.  With the 3.0 feature I believe I can keep two sessions going on the 6500, one on each machine with its own mode and logging, without as much confusion as I sometimes get into when trying to do that with separate rx or slices on the same PC.

I'm in! new toy, bring out the V.3!   next week would work for me  :-)  Mike W1BFA

begs the next question though...  Will SmartSDR for the Ipad  work in the multi client scenario as is or will it require changes?  I already use its control surface capabilities now occasionally which are really smooth.
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 484 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Mike,

You are exactly correct that your usage scenario will work perfectly with 3.0. I've been testing it with two Maestros, two PC's, or some combination of the two. 

Marcus, the author of the iOS software is hard at work on updates to allow 3.0 integration so it shouldn't be too long.

Who knows, the Maestro as a control surface could be a 3.1 feature for a subsequent release. Flex knows it's desired. 

3.0 will give opportunities for lots of input on desired features to enhance using multiple clients with the same radio.

You'll love the software when it is released very soon. And yes, for others reading the list there will be a 2.5 update as well. 

FlexRadio has once again provided a new capability that is unavailable in any other amateur radio. It's up to us to figure out all the use new use cases.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 797 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
V3 won't allow the Maestro and SSDR on a PC to work at the same time?
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 942 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Yes it absolutely will.  but sessions (or slices/panadapers) on a Maestro and SSDR for windows on a PC are separate.   
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I believe it will but only to control a separate session at this point.
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 484 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Yes, you can definitely use a SSDR on Windows and a Maestro at the same time. I use that config almost daily.

Mack
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 158 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Looking forward to V3. Today ordered a new Maestro, my second. As well as my second Flexcontrol. Will set-up two PC, each having it's own Maestro/Flexcontrol as Op position one and two.  Can't wait to for Flex to release V3. This will be the starting point to be running serious Multi-One at SE3X with my Flex 6700.
(Edited)

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 942 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Johan, Multi 1/2 and Expansion and reduction of hardware of a M/M shack are some of the top features that will be released out the gate for version 3.  It opens up the possibility for sharing your station in radiosport to many who otherwise could not do it before.. 
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 158 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Yes Chris, this is really exiting and I will have to start looking seriously on improving station filtering as well. We are adding coax filters after amplifier today when doing multi. But will need to improve betwen radio and amplifier as well. This will be really really fun to be part of!
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Multi capability is probably of little use to me as a non-contester with a 6500. You have to share one antenna, which would limit your band choices, moreso if you're using a beam. Worse, you may need to wait to Tx, and the Rx would blank when the other guy is Txing. (Right?) With 2 SCUs (6600 or 6700), you have more options, but simultaneous Rx and Tx is likely to be a challenge.

I suppose contesting is a big market for Flex, but it's a liitle disappointing that a major SSDR release is dedicated to one operating style. I may skip v3 and wait a year (?) for whatever v4 might offer.

73 Martin AA6E
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3893 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Martin, If your antenna can work more then one band it will work. My antenna will work 40M and 80M...perfect for this. they can have one slice and I can have the other.

I am using a 6500 as well.
what I like, is being able to have someone using my 6500 when I am as well. Before V3 when someone uses my radio and they do once a week, I can't use it while they are on it. V3 changes that.
(Edited)

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 942 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
@martin Ewing AA6E
Well thats certainly an option available and one of the great things about the platform.. if what you have works and you dont see a lot of value, stick with it.  I will mention that as a flex contest functionality champion/advisor, thats my primary focus in the community personally, and this represents a revolutionary change to the platform in this regard, but the team at FRS have taken other use cases into account, such as sharing 1 station between users, ham clubs co-ordinating shared club stations with multiple users and more.  If it has value to you, go for it.. if not.. what you have works and will get some additional tweaks in the near future. 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3893 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Chris, I'm not sure if I am correct. on a 6500, what are the guid lines in V3?  If I turn on FDX will the receiver blank out when the other party is transmitting. If we are on the same band or the antenna will work the other band as well? If so then V3 has no advantage on a 6500.
(Edited)

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 942 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Thats a very good question Bill.  With a simple answer, as well as a complicated one.  The simple answer is yes... 
.....but....  now the complication

it will require the use of a listening antenna, separate from your transmit antenna.  without the dual scu, you cant really do the whole dual cq thing, but you can do FDX  here is a short video by W9OY, another community regular, demonstrating this process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_CJ9bvi30