Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v 1.4.0 Initial Remote Audio Defaults Invalid

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

First this problem appeared only on one machine that was challenging for other reasons, and the other v 1.4.0 installs went fine.

Did an initial 1.4.0 upgrade on my Neal-Machine Win7 monster, including the updates to the 6300 (as it was in the operative position and I didn't want to waste time switching to the 6700).  Everything worked awesome.

Where I confused the configurations at SmartSDR v1.4.0 was on the iMac running Parallels v9 & Win7.1 as the initial audio devices after install was invalid.  They were pointing to DAX reserved channel 8, which is of course invalid for any use with a 6300.  DAX and SmartSDR both hung, stuttered and froze alternatingly as a result, with full crash followings.  Entire Virtual Machine needed a reboot to clear.

Took a couple runs at reconfiguring the Windows Sound Devices Defaults until the USB dongle to an extra set of David Clark headsets came alive.  Everything rock solid after that was done.

Thinking out loud some of the settings could have been legacy from prior versions of SmartSDR running the 6700, or something in the "user error" category, but it would be useful to include some setup notes for anyone whose install doesn't given them clear clean I/o audio routing.  The User Manual was offline so perhaps it is already there?

Steve

K9ZW

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I had the same issue when I installed on the laptop after I had succesfully installed in the main PC in the radio shack.
    In my case I had left SmartSDR 1.4, DAX and CAT running on the main PC when I installed in the laptop. I also uninstalled 1.3.8 in the laptop which I didn't do on the main PC.

I had to manually select speaker and mic as default and restart the laptop in order for SmartSDR 1.4 to work properly in the REMOTE laptop.

I am getting really bad performance out of the WiFi, but it my be on my end. SmartSDR reads only 1 bar (red) on the laptop.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This is a Windows issue and we have no programmatic control of how the operating system assigns the default windows sound devices.  This is not a problem we can fix as it is unique to your own PC configuration.  We have provided the ability to view the current windows default sound device state by placing your mouse cursor over the REMOTE button.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Once you know what to look for it is fairly easy to fix.
    Thanks Tim (How many posts have you made in the last 15 hours??)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    More than I can count...
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Makes sense and perhaps simply mentioning in the installation/setup checklist or troubleshooting guide (with likely solutions) is the thing to do?

The hover-over box truncated the information, but it wasn't too hard figure out things were not pointing to the right devices. 

I'd certainly consider the problem resolved, and really my suggestion is more about inclusion in troubleshooting tips.

BTW once corrected despite being wireless I have the same performance as the computer & radio wired to same router instance.  Impressive!!

Thank you and 73

Steve

K9ZW

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    LOL, you will need a new keyboard by the end of the week.
    Doing a great job! Thanks for the support!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    For which we thank you and the FRS team!  73 de Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.