Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using HRD-VI with Smart SDR...

W3DCB
W3DCB Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
Hi everyone...I thought that I would share my experiences with Ham Radio Deluxe VI and Smart SDR. When using HRD-VI with CAT-64 in Smart SDR, I have found HRD VI to be very unstable and often would not read frequency and start...Even after running the "Test" option in the CAT-64 Virtual Port installer and confirming that the CAT Virtual Port was operational and working by running some test commands, I still could not get HRD-VI to connect through the very same Virtual Port which was just tested via CAT-64. I would have to re-boot the computer; shut down the 6700; and restart everything; and it still would not reliably run. On a whim, I tried HRD-IV and it runs just fine...DM-780 from the HRD-6 package runs just fine with HRD-IV as it connects via Port 7809 (I think...Well, one of those ports which I can't remember for sure right now. I would like to know how HRD-VI is running for others? Thanks in advance...Daniel W3DCB

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    CAT-64? That was an alpha version of SmartSDR CAT. You should be using SmartSDR CAT v1.1.5 that was included in SmartSDR v0.15.13
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I miss typed...I did not mean CAT-64...Of course, I always use the latest version...The fingers are faster than the brain sometimes...Never-the-less, am I the only one having this problem? Daniel
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    OK. That helps a lot. I am not sure what is going on with HRD. It has always been a bit of a challenge with virtual com ports.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm using DM-780 supplied with the latest HRD. However, I'm running DM-780 without HRD pending delivery of SmartSDR 1.0. It works well with a SignaLink USB connected through the ACC port on the 7600. I would appreciate hearing from anyone successfully using HRD, latest version. Thanks, Jim -- W5HFS
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Jim: During the last several months, I have been running The latest Version of HRD + DM780 (v6.1.2.181 Release 6.1.2). HRD is running on a networked Computer and the Sound card from the Navigator. The Navigator is connected to the FLEX 6000 with the interface cable purchased from Navigator folks. HRD is working on Digital and RTTY through my 1Gig router. My only issue is that DM780 often looses the Radio connection and the waterfall frequency toolbar indicates "CLOSED" vice the Radio Frequency. If I click on the HRD screen display, DM-780 will reconnect and show the correct FLEX frequency. When the Waterfall indicates "CLOSED" the water fall stops. My computer is a 64Bit Win8 running on a 1Gig Home network. It interfaces to all other network devices through a 1Gig Hub and VIOS 1Gig router. If I could determine why the DM-780 drops the FLEX connection, I would give this setup a 100% Satisfaction.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Last night I decided to go back to HRD ver. 6 to work with the F6.7K radio. First, since I sold all my other Flex radios I deleted all related software. Uploaded new version of DDUtil and VSPManager and made sure I had the latest version of HRD. YES HRD has many hoops to go through to get it working. However, after a few hours I had it going working well using DM780. Clicking on the DX Spider Cluster fills my logbook information and changes the F6.7K frequency; and rotates my antennas. It also upload my QSO to LoTW, eQSL and HRD logbook: and many other functions. I will document this with photos so other can duplicate the setup with minimum hazel and time waste. Now just waiting for DAX so I can work the digital modes...
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Ernest: I do not have any type of external antenna controllers. Only running the FLEX with the Navigator. Is there a need for installing the DDUtil application? I have noticed that the DM780 maintains connection to HRD and the FLEX when it is operating on 10 Meters. When I switch back to 20 Meters, DM-780 will often loose the connection to HRD and the Radio. Is there a possibility that the Computer is generating some type of 14 Mhz signal??
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    HRD works unstable with SSDR CAT, better to use DDUtill with HRD server started, and separately start HRD logbook DM etc without main HRD console. My setup is: iMac27 with Parallells and WIN7, SSDR->DDutil->HRD, 2K-FA as passive listener via DDutil(a bit delay with freq from DDutil)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.