Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using N1MM with 6500 for Field Day

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I want to operate my 6500 next weekend for Field Day. We are using N1MM software for logging. I will be using a router to link my computer to the radio instead of direct. I want to use a separate computer to operate the N1MM for logging but was wondering if it is possible to have the N1MM software connect to the 6500 ?

Bill
VA3QB  

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Yes.  CAT is a separate standalone application that can run on any computer that can "see" the radio.  The logging PC must be on the same LAN subnet as the radio and the PC running SmartSDR.  Load SmartSDR on logging PC in order to install SmartSDR CAT on it.  You do not need (or can for that matter) to run SmartSDR on the logging PC.

Then on the main PC running SmartSDR, shut down CAT when it auto starts to reduce network traffic.  Load up N1MM and use the CAT application on the logging PC to connect to the radio.

I recommend testing this configuration before FD so you have a good feel on how it all plays together.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Tim

Will give it a try.

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It works.  I do this all the time where I run digital mode programs on a different PC than SmarSDR for Windows is running; using just CAT and DAX on the other PC.  I have to run it that way because running 2 instances of Fldigi and 4 instances of CW Skimmer at the same time can max out a 6 core AMD CPU.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I never realized that DAX and CAT could be run on a different computer from SSDR. Do virtual serial ports work. My understanding was that the only work when SSDR is running. Second, are there DAX and CAT clients for other OS's (OSX / Linux)? Probably not from Flex, but maybe in the community?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    A radio has to be connected to CAT in order to create virtual com port pairs. Once created, they will initialize, in the absence of a radio.

CAT and DAX are Windows only applications.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.