Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

using multi flex on 6400

Options
KI4P
KI4P Member ✭✭
as i understand, when using multi flex, if you have for instance, a desktop and an ipad or iphone connected at same time you should see on screen the name of other device connected, or at least it showed it in the video that matt done at orlando. Not seeing any indication of there being 2 devices connected except on the slice button that is grayed out on my 6400. also have noticed that when both connected you can listen to two bands but you are restricted to 1 antenna for both devices. or in other words, if im listening to 20 and 40 and have 2 antennas connected, i cant select the receive antenna for each band. when i do go into transmit i do see the TX button change which is and indicator. still confused, looks to me like its not that beneficial on a 6400. maybe i just dont get it, how 2 can operate and the advantages of multiflex besides sharing one tx antenna, sorry for long post, dont misunderstand! i love my 6400 and dont regret buying ot, just dont fully understand the mulitflex part, maybe some one can do a good video in the near future. thanks!

Answers

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    You need a 6600 or 6700 to receive on 2 different bands with 2 different antennas.  The 6400 has only one SCU.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi,

When running SSDR (windows) or a Maestro the name you see is the name of YOUR station.  I have not yet run the iOS app but I believe it does the same.

In SSDR there is a MULTI-Flex menu under settings that shows you a multi-flex dashboard:

Here is where you can see the other connected MULTI-Flex client.  There is a similar menu item on the Maestro.  I am not sure where it is on iOS but I suspect it is on the left set of menus.

A 6400 only has 1 SCU so yes you are limited to receiving on 1 antenna.

With a 6400 MULTI-Flex could be used to say work 40m and have your iOS app looking at 20m.  Grated they are both using the same antenna so receive might not be optimal but it could be used for this purpose.   

Or, you could have one client on 40m CW the other up on 40m phone.  

So there are uses, I think think MULTI-Flex is so new each of us will need to figure out how it benefits us individually.

Mark - WS7M

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Here is when a multi-band antenna would be nice, like a trapped dipole or LP or multi-band beam; when using such an antenna you could run the 6500, 6400, 6300 on different bands using one SCU.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yep! Have a tribander beam that would work OK. Still want to visually see how the 2 op works as far as coordinating the use. I'm simple minded I guess,
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If both operaters are together it would be fairly easy because you can hear and see what the other op is doing. But if both are seperated it becomes tricky. Each client shows when the radio is in transmit but you don't know the details at the other op. For this reason some are thinking of using SKYPE to communicate with the other op. This is important in a contest as things tend to move at a faster pace.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Version 3 of frstack shows all slices and the frequency they are on local or remote/multiflex.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Never used that, have to give it a look
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I think multi-flex is a far less useful on a 6400 given the inherent restriction of 1 SCU / 1 RX antenna.  But, then again if you don't use the multi-flex feature (and many won't) a 6400 costs so much less $.  Now, if you were to decide to use multi-flex feature with say another operator friend / relative in another location, you would need to make an apriori  agreement with them as to which RX antenna will be used and when. The challenge is one operator may want to say operate on 80 meters and another on say 20 meters at the same time.  Yes, they can select different TX antennas and that is good, but they must share same RX antenna and also not switch it real-time while the other person is operating - as that could be disturbing.  And that RX antenna needs to be a multi-band antenna (eg. EFHW, Fan dipole or other multi-band) or a broadband active loop antenna - in order to accommodate adequate receiving requirements of both operators to the extent that is actually practical.  If I use the multi-flex feature at all, I plan is to use my 80-10 EFHW antenna or alternatively use my W6LVP active loop as the one and only RX antenna. Haven't decided yet.  And then make an agreement with operating friend to keep this RX antenna set and not change it.  Not optimal at all, but a workaround nonetheless. Or I may make an agreement with other operator to text me when they want to operate and I would forgo operating at the same time in order to have more RX antenna flexibility.  And more flexibility in other aspects of sharing a single radio simultaneously. We could even create a weekly schedule of who is using the radio and when.  Calendar with days and time slots for who can operate.  That may make more sense than dealing with the complexity and restrictions.  Regardless, I am not upgrading my 6400 until the next minor release is out and/or after 6 months of time has lapsed.  I am not an early adopter, as I prefer to let the bugs settle out and have a stable eco-system before upgrading.  73 dan
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yep, I am beginning to see the uses for it. But on a 6400 not as much as the upper end radios, but it was a free upgrade so. But regardless, still love my flex!
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yes, Mutli-Flex far more useful on a 6600 / 6700.   But then you have to pay much more $$$.  Fair tradeoff.  I love my Flex 6400 too.  But, v3 meh, don't absolutely need Multi-Flex feature and this new v3 presents too much disruption of the 3rd party eco-system which will take other SW vendors a while to catch up and have this all settle out.  I would prefer to sit this one out for like 6 months for things to stabilize.  I like stability. I was never an early adopter :)
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yeah me too. I pick stability every time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.