Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using Fldigi & WSJT X with Flex 6500 and MacOS

I have a Flex 6500 and will going to use it with a 2017 MacBook Pro.

I already bought DogparkSDR and Maclogger DX and installed Xcat and Xdax, and I can make connection with the Flex.

But when I will going to use Fldigi & WSJT X then I can't get it working.

I also read somewhere that TX in Fldigi is only possible with vox.

I also have to install Loopback ( $ 128,00) or Soundsiphon ( $55,00) and it's true that Fldigi only working with Vox then for me it's not worth the extra money for 1 of these programs.

So is it possible to use Fldigi and WSJT X at the same way as it is in windows?

And if so is there someone who can help me how to set up everything because I have looked on the internet and don't see the exact way to setup.

Otherwise I have only 1 other option and that is to install Windows10 on my Mac and use the programs on windows, but therefor I didn't buy a Macbook,

Why I did buy a macbook, till now I don't know and have many regrets of it, but throwing it away is also drastic:-(

So if there is someone that's willing to help me, then you do me a big favor 

For now I am really desperate.

Answers

• wild bill
    wild bill Member
    edited January 2019
    Will be interested to follow this one.  Hope it works out for you.  Lots of Flex users are running on Windows on various flavors of Mac, with Parallels, etc.  MacLogger DX is the best program out there.  After 4 years of struggles using Mac with Flexradio, I went to a PC.....works much better, but can't use MacLogger, which is unfortunate.  If you are tech savvy, I bet you'll work it out.  The gang here will certainly have answers....if you can understand the techno lingo , LOL.   Flex is a fabulous radio.  MacLogger is the best....it's just working out the details.  
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Just search for "wsjt-x on Mac" or "Fldigi on Mac" here in the community - lots of help! And when you have more questions, just ask. Loopback works very well with xDax and any digital program. And I should add that xCat allows you to set up PTT - no VOX required!
  • szawrotny
    szawrotny Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Everything is easier on a Mac.... except amatuer radio  ;-(
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I have yet to have any of my audio or cat devices disturbed by an update, and I never spend time adjusting things after an update. That's not to say that there are no problems with any given O/S, but the Win 10 update problems I hear about are epic. And if you happen to choose a piece of amateur radio software that only runs under Windows, of course you will think MacOS is a bad choice - that's life. Write your own or run the O/S that you need for your software. I choose to run software that is cross-platform.
  • Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi, because the many problems to work with a Mac in amateur radio, I decided to not invest in more software voor the Mac
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Maurice - it’s actually very, very easy. Fldigi and Wsjtx are both Mac applications that work smoothly. xDAX and xCAT (both free) are superb replacements for the Windows versions of DAX and CAT. Dogpark Software does make the best (IMO) Mac client for Flex. There are some other options that are in various degrees of development, too. Yes, for digital modes it is helpful to have Loopback or SoundSiphon. Both are excellent and easy to use. I have been meaning to update my tutorial on them, but haven’t yet.

I have run my all my ham activity on a Mac exclusively for probably about 5 years. It really is the way to go.
    You don’t need a VM like Parallels to use your Flex and Mac. Edit: Loopback is USD 99, Sound Siphon USD 49. Both have free trials.
  • Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi George,

I have still the problem when working remote with the Mac on SSB, or maybe I see elephants on the road where there ar not one on the road.

Its no problem to buy Soundsiphon but then there is how to set it up to work digimodes.

And for contests there is no other program that works better then N1MM, but this is available on Mac.

So maybe when setup the Mac with Soundsiphon for digimodes then there is still a problem for the microphone and for contesting not to have N1MM.

But I hope to get more ideas about this, because I have the Mac and a have a NUCserver with available.

So pse do give me more ideas or inspiration about this and I have the trail version of Soundsiphon maybe there is someone that can help me to setup so that I can test it before buying.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Just set up two sound devices, with no options necessary. Name one “radio in” and the other “radio out.” Use them for the audio options in your digital software. In xDAX, assign “radio in” to DAX TX and “radio out” to whatever DAX RX slice you’re using.

True, no N1MM or CWSkimmer for Mac. They do run in a VM, though. MacLoggerDX is a great log for casual contest use. I have heard Skookum Logger is also good for more serious contesting. I think you can run N1MM on your NUC, and connect via your LAN, also.

For remote SSB, it works 100% in SmartLink. Have made many ssb and cw contacts from my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.
  • Maurice PC9T
    Maurice PC9T Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi there i'am back again with another attempt.

Yesterday i bought sound siphon and set it up see example.

So now and then I have sound with WSJT mostly with 2nd startup of dpSDR and Maclogger and WSJT. And when I do TX in WSJT I hear also the sound of FT8.

But in dpSDR in the output I only see 1 DB as output.

This is the setup in WSJT

There is no difference in the input or output.

Do I make here already a mistake in setting up in Sound siphon.
    Must 1 make 2 channels?

And when using sound siphon I don't need to use xCAT and xDAX.

Is this so difficult to set up with the 6500 or is this the same with for instance the new Yaesu FT101D.

Because someone will trade his FT101D with my Flex 6500 but I think working remote for example from my boat somewhere on the water is much easier with the Flex, still I have to solve to remote the use of my Alfaspid rotator, but that's for later.

First I have to solve the problem with my iMac, the laptop of my wife (windows) gives no problem.

i also see that when I use dpSDR and Maclogger and WSJT use on the battery of the Mac that the battery loses quickly power, I do believe that I can't use it long on the battery so that gives problem on the boat.

But first I have to sort out the output problem in WSJT.

So any ideas? for the output problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.