Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using Diversity reception and SDR?

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
So I read the manual, read through myriad posts up here but no one has clearly answered the following questions:

First, when using Diversity reception, so, two antennas hooked up to the 6700, during transmit does the second antenna get grounded so as not to damage the 6700 or do I need a filter on that antenna to protect the radio?  I would think that using full duplex would demand filter protection for the second antenna port into the radio. 

Secondly, during SO2R operation AND during transmission, does the PGXL pass the RF from the now receiving antenna port to the 6700?  Under this circumstance I'm sure you either need antennas isolated either geographically or with low power filters between the amp and 6700?

Thanks
Peter

Answers

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    regarding Diversity reception...
    YES antennas are grounded and your are NOT operating Full Duplex

as for the second  SO2R operation,
    i have no experience with PGXL
    but
    would gladly like to try it if you sent me one ;-))

BUT one thing i can say about using a 6600M with one slice on ANT1 and the second slice on ANT2 (aka SO2R kinda operations). If the radio detects TOO MUCH RF on an antenna input it does two things. One it cuts off transmit output power and it grounds  all SCU antenna inputs.

My experience with this happening is when i pointed my beam at my ocf and transmitted a 100 watts cw signal. The ocf is 50ft away from the beam. the 6600m went into protect mode and did indeed cutoff cw transmit power and grounded both SCU antenna inputs.

It also popped up an error message indicating that is what is happening.

it took me a few minutes ( kinda slow sometimes here) realize what was happening.

at first, i thought i broke the radio when i saw no RF output ...
    BUT
    then saw the error message.... another DUH moment with my 6600M ....

i was able to confirm that too much rf to the ocf by switch to a 43ft vertcial which is 200ft away from the beam....no problem there with too much RF.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks that is what I thought might be the case.  How did you reset your radio?  Did you simply clear the error and all was well? I ask because I suspect the 6700 does the same thing.
    Peter

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    IT clears itself once the high RF condition went away..

ONCE i recognized what was happening and i switched to different antenna everything operated just fine.

i do believe the 6700 will operate the same way due to two SCU's

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm still puzzling over what to do for filters and where to put them.  I THINK I need two sets of band pass filters, one for each antenna port on the back of the 6700 just don't see a way around it.  The other problem is using the Array Solutions autofilter gadget, the band data from the 6700 will only be passed to the active slice.  No way I can see to pass the unique band data from each slice to each autofilter.  Anyone else have any ideas?

You see the problems ya get with a superb radio!!
    Peter
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Well I've been looking at using  RX 1 & RX 2 with home brew blocking similar to the Array & DX units with tuned stubs also on the RX antennas...For  SO2R ..    Still scratching head..  LOL
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Connecting two antennas to the 6700 for the Diversity function, no problem-o.  What I've been ponder is, what happens if you want to use both those antennas for high power transmit (as well as Diversity reception) and the PG-XL Amp is inserted in line.  The PG-XL amp only allows for one through-connection at a time.  (Or am I overlooking something?)
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member ✭✭

The PGXL is a full SO2R amp. There is an "A" section and a "B" section each with their own input and output connectors. It is just like two amps in one box. You just can't transmit on both at the same time. There is some confusion in this thread between SO2R and full diversity reception. Diversity reception is (basically) receiving one signal on two antennas with two receivers. The advantages are helping to reduce fading and noise cancellation. SO2R is receiving on one band while transmitting on another band. The PGXL with the 6700 can do this. Filters are used on each band to reduce power into the front end of the 6700 from the transmissions on the other band.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.