Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using a Heil Proset Plus Headset with a Flex 6400M

Jay W5IB
Jay W5IB Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Hi everyone. I just received my Flex 6400M on March 13, 2018.
I have been using Flex radios for 10 years and have always used a Heil headset with dynamic cartridge. So it was no surprise that I wanted to use my Heil ProSet Plus on my new 6400M.
I looked at the schematic and saw that I would need to make or buy an adapter to make my headset work. I found one on line that would isolate the tip and ring and bought it. When my new radio arrived, I had a hunch that I would not need the adapter, so I went into the menu and made sure the Mic bias was turned off. I plugged the mono 3.5mm plug into the mic jack on the 6400M, and just like magic, it worked !!! 

NO ADAPTER WAS REQUIRED !!!!!!

I just plugged the heil into the mic jack on the radio and away we went.

Let me know your experience.

Comments

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Until you posted this I hadn't even considered trying my Heil Proset since I had setup the HM-12 mic after purchasing the adapter. I plugged the phones in and then plugged the mic in for the Heil Proset with the following settings:

Bias-Off

+20db

Mic Gain I ended up reducing from 68 I was using on the HM-12 since I was further away from it when I spoke to 54 on the headset where the mic is right there at my mouth.

Did a quick check, seems to work fine but then I tried it at 3am this morning and only had about 10 minutes or so to check it out. I created a new mic profile and only updated 1 of the Global profiles with it till I can test it out further. It really seems to work great!

Put my HM-12 back on the Flex 3000 cable now for use with it again, where I just detached the mic from that cable and plugged it into the 6400M using the cable purchased. Now that adapter cable gets tossed in the file drawer with all the other items I buy collect but don't use.

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited April 2020
    I would be interested in that adapter for my Pro Set and my 6300.
  • Chris H
    Chris H Member
    edited March 2018
    Ok so far this is the most straight forward answer I’ve found. So just to clairify and get it straight in my head, your able to satisfy the need for the 5v “phantom power” that paperwork for the headset states that it need to operate. I’m a new ham and i haven’t got my 6400 and it’s been hard to decipher if that condenser mic that needs phantom power will work. Thanks and congrats
  • Jay W5IB
    Jay W5IB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The 6300 uses the Heil AD-1Y headset adapter that has a 8 pin foster connector on it.
    You can buy this at most good ham stores.image
  • Jay W5IB
    Jay W5IB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The Heil ProSet Plus has HC-4 nd HC-5 elements that do not need phantom voltage to operate.

The "IC" version for Icom radios DOES require phantom voltage.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Also the Heil Proset that has the HC-6 element which I have also does not need phantom voltage to operate, but the "IC" version does for icom.
  • Chris H
    Chris H Member
    edited April 2020
    So the IC won’t work on the flex? Ok gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Have fun in your new flex. I can’t wait to get mine.
  • Jay W5IB
    Jay W5IB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm not sure what plug is on the "IC", I've never owned one, but if it is a 3.5mm stereo plug, then turn on the bias and plug it in direct.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The IC version will work..  You just need to turn the Flex Mic Bias on.
  • Chris H
    Chris H Member
    edited March 2018
    Wait what????? Don’t mess with me man. Really? I’ve been obsessing all day about selling the darn headset, now your giving me hope. :). Please forgive me but are you SURE?? :). Thanks for the response.
  • Jay W5IB
    Jay W5IB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am using it as the only mic for my Flex 6400M and it works wonderful!!!
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The above adapter was on Flex's site when they sold the 6300 but it is not there now. Yes you will need 2 adapters. This one:  8 Pin foster to 1/8in (3.5mm) TRS and RCA for FLEX-6400(M) or FLEX-6600(M) and the one pictured above.
  • Paul_M0AIA
    Paul_M0AIA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Apologies as this is an old post but I'm just in the process of going through the same mic connection solutions.

Plugging a Heil headset 'Mono' 1/8in (3.5mm) into the Flex Radio 'Stereo' TRS socket would short the Negative mic (-) with Ground/Shield connection circuits

Would that not remove the benefits of an isolated mic (-) circuit and by joining it to ground possibly introduce earth looping causing noise on the mic input

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.