Rui

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Other than the fact that such Tx would be Totally illegal in United States you can’t change a FlexRadio To TX I on 11 meters.
Photo of Rui

Rui

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here is legal I live in Europe Portugal
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
If you can Provide documentation such as legal in Portugal to Flex, Then they can send you a TURF File That will enable radio

uggestion called flex directly
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 811 Posts
  • 270 Reply Likes
You Can’t
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 320 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
http://radioaficion.com/HamNews/images/07-2011/PDFs/ECCDEC1103-20110715080905.PDF

ECC/DEC/(11)03  ---  CB QRP OK in Europe?

...in the frequency band 26.960 MHz to 27.410 MHz ... 12 Watts (measured as a peak envelope power) for SSB modulation...

Photo of Rui

Rui

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just would like to know if Flex is able to unlock my 6400
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Suggest you call Flex directly and ask them
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3976 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
This is not the best place to ask, As Howard said, try calling them,,or start a help ticket with your question...
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 886 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yes...  If , as Howard stated above, you can provide them with proof it is legal to do so in your Country.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1059 Posts
  • 302 Reply Likes
Tim has already told him on FRS's Facebook page that FRS will not open any Flex radio up for transmit on 11 meters.
Photo of Dwayne - NA6US

Dwayne - NA6US

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Makes sense. That article spoke to the fact that 11M had been opened up to unlicensed Citizens Band.
(Edited)
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
SmartSDR V2.1.33 and below allows you to work on 11 meters for transmission, regardless of whether the turf is installed or not, and it is completely unclear why in versions above 2.2.8 this range was closed for transmission. I am downgrading to V2.1.33 and even with Turf installed for Russia, I have the opportunity to work at 27 MHz.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1056 Posts
  • 314 Reply Likes
Office answer.

No regardless of where you are in the world.

If you need 11M operation, 11M radios are very inexpensive.  

Mike
Photo of Brent N9BC

Brent N9BC

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm no expert but, I believe you could technically use the XTVR port. I'm sure I will be corrected if that is not the case.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 912 Posts
  • 343 Reply Likes
Correct.  You can transmit at low power on the XVTR port without frequency restrictions.
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is all wonderful, but why not leave a full-fledged transmission in this range if such a possibility exists in previous versions of the program, especially since this range is not licensed at all and  i can work even without registration
Photo of John - AI4FR

John - AI4FR

• 203 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Simple, Flex would love to advertise and sell a radio that has all band transmit. They'd destroy the competition hands down. But government agencies and the laws of the land forbid them from doing so. Same hold true with any number of "100 watt" radios. The manufacturers know they could get more power out, say 130 watts while the competition is only doing 100 watts. But the distortion products which are regulated by govt. agencies and the life of the radio would suffer. Check your local laws and see if you as an end user can legally modify a radio for out of band transmit. If you can't then how can Flex?
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
It seems that I'm not writing in English))
I repeat once again: In the Flex Radio software version up to V2.28, it is possible to work on the 11 m band. In  USA, have the laws changed, or for what reason can I not use Flex to transmit to 27 MHz  with V3.0 as before?
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 840 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
I think that may have been a flaw in the software that has since been corrected. 
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 912 Posts
  • 343 Reply Likes
Nope, not a flaw.  The long and short of it is that we brought our region based frequency descriptions into line with the regional authority (IARU).  In region 1, there is no mention of 11m for amateur radio use (https://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php/spectrum-and-band-plans/hf).
(Edited)
Photo of Dwayne - NA6US

Dwayne - NA6US

• 94 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Same discussion going on reddit at the moment... CB radios are type certified, frequency and power limited. Flex is not type certified to use these bands.

For the life of me I don’t understand how anyone would want to use CB bands after investing money and time in licensing and equipment.
(Edited)
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Why should I buy additional equipment to work on 11 if I can use Flex Radio for this as before?

There are many hams who deliberately do not switch to version higher than 2.2.8 due to the inability to work in the 11 meter range for transmission.
Why not open this opportunity for those who are not forbidden to work at these frequencies, because for this you do not need to invent anything additionally, but do it as it was already done before. I like the stability and functionality of Flex Radio, but I absolutely do not understand the policy of limiting the rights and freedoms that they introduced with the new software.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3893 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Igor, time to move on,,it's not going to happen. Asking Flex to transmit out of band? NOPE!!
Photo of Erik Carling

Erik Carling

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If there really are "many hams (that) deliberately do not switch to version higher than 2.2.8", which I severely doubt, then they must be of unsound mind. For who would sacrifice the gains of upgrading excellent ham radio software just to work CB? Why should you buy additional equipment? That question was already adequately answered. How onerous is it, considering the cheap stuff available for CB, to acquire something separate? Not at all. Love your Flex for what it is and what it was promoted for - excellence in the field of HAM RADIO.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 916 Posts
  • 344 Reply Likes
Official Response
We took this request to official channels via the ARRL and the IARU.  They responded that the 11m band is not allocated for Amateur Radio use in that region.  We are all about ensuring rights and freedoms as this is core to who we are, but those rights and freedoms must be based in authoritative policy.  We appreciate your desire, but we respectfully are going to stick with the frequency allocations as designated by the appropriate authorities.  I am sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you will understand our position, even if you don't agree with it.
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 234 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Hope this puts an end to this post. CB? Really?
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

But what before version 2.2.8 did ARRL and the IARU allow work in the 11 meter range or did something change? ))) You can not answer.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 845 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Igor,

The ARRL is not an official agency or authority. It has absolutely no power to set or enforce rules.

Many hams seem to think that the ARRL governs ham radio. They do not. They are a private organization that promotes ham radio. That's all they are.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 916 Posts
  • 344 Reply Likes
Igor -- Actually, I can.  We are committed to keeping our frequency descriptions accurate and in line with authoritative allocations regardless of what ranges were available in earlier revisions.
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The aspirations to comply with the frequency distribution should not be to the detriment of previously installed in Flex devices, which did not violate regulatory documents in terms of Ham Radio communications and CB. Any amateur equipment can be disclosed for transmission in the CB range without problems and why this has become a problem with Flex is completely incomprehensible. All that is not forbidden is allowed!
(Edited)
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I would also like clarification on how ARRL regulates the use of radio frequencies in other countries. I would also like to understand how the IARU regulates the use of the CB band in other countries from this list http://radiochief.ru/radio/spisok-divizionov-si-bi-diapazona/ 
If I am not a member of ARRL, should I comply with the requirements of this organization outside of USA Or can I be guided by the rules of my country? )))

If this is of course only a problem in reconciling with IARU and ARRL or is the reason something else?

If my idea is difficult to understand, then can it remove modulation from Flex Radio and FM? Anyway, in competitions and on HF this is not used by ham radio It would be a joke if it were not so sad ...

(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 845 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Igor,

The ARRL does not regulate ham radio. It only promotes the hobby. It is not an official organization.
Photo of Tim VE6SH

Tim VE6SH

• 295 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
The ITU International Radio Regulations (IRR) govern the use of the radio spectrum. Article 25 of the IRRs define and regulate the Amateur Radio Services. The IRR Table of Frequency Allocations defines the portions of the spectrum allocated to the Amateur Radio Services on a primary and secondary basis. The 11m band is not allocated to the Amateur Radio Services in the IRRs.

Tim VE6SH
(Edited)
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 258 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Why oh why does this even warrant a thread?
I have never come across any signs of intelligent life on 11 meters.
Listening to a leaf-blower would be more interesting.

Why bother to study, get a license for amateur bands, and then wish to
jump back down into the sewer?

Everywhere ya' go.....

Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 633 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Amateur radio is unique for many reasons, totally agree with you.
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
"Sewerage" exists both in the CB band and in HF. The difference is only in size. The fact is that these are two parallel developing directions and many simply do not know anything about CB radio communications, representing it only as a source of dirt. In fact, they also have their own associations and have QSL cards.
They look like this for example
https://autocanal12.ru/download/file.php?id=642&sid=48f23a8a31f551221bc9ae2a0a2ed770&mode=view 
They work on the same hardware as you and SSB as well. I worked at CB with many stations in Europe and everyone was polite. I have been on HF since 1979 and worked for a while at CB where I still have friends. Not all people are bad and not all good are everywhere!
Photo of Igor  Rybin

Igor Rybin

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

I'm interested in what Flex was guided by including the 11 m range in their old releases of the SSDR program for Flex 6000 if this is not reflected in the ITU International Radio Regulations and ARRL in any way? Why then it was possible to work for CB and now suddenly decided to get rid of this, what happened?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.