Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using 2 Astron 25 Amp Power Supplys to Power 6700

2»

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I do not own one, but keep on experimenting with a 6500. Have not measured it’s consumption, but have for the others and every 13.6V rig outlet is fused at 20 amps. I run a single 100 amp PS that feeds into 3 RigRunner distribution boxes, one for each radio position, each fused at 45 amp total with the rigs fused at 20 and the other 4 ports fused at 5 amps. It’s much easier to keep RFI from the 13.6V power bus this way. There is an identical spade PS should the first dies for some reason. Works beautifully.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Since I started in radio as a 50W limited novice in 1972 the stations on the bands seem to have continuously used more and more power.

I am not saying this is bad but it does seem to indicate that the general trend follows Jeremy's motto on the old UK motor sport show TopGear:   Power... POWER...  MORE POWER!!!

I do run power but I start low, work high depending upon who I am working.  I use a solid state amp.

90% of the time my Flex is putting out 8W to 12w into my amp which is putting out like 200w to 400w.

5% of the time I switch my amp to mid power level and put out:  500w.

3% of the time I switch my amp to full power and output 1500w.

2% of the time the amp is off and I run 10-50w direct out of the flex.

I use the amp most of the time simply because I can keep it underrated rather than trying to push the flex finals to higher power.

During my 90% operation both my flex and amp are loafing along at WELL BELOW their rated power.  Fans hardly ever come on.

Now on your point:

I personally know 3 hams that have 5kW amps.  I know they run them at 5kW as well.  It seems that this is becoming more and more the norm as these guys get WANIAC awards:

(Worked All Neighbors In All Counties)

One local ham I know has a fake QSL card from a neighbor that basically reads:

<my friends call>
    <neighbors address>
    RST <599> received
    RST 0 sent
    Mode: RFI
    Comment: You sound great coming through my stereo while the game is on!  Nice work!

The neighbor actually went online figured out how QSL cards look, made one up on his printer and hand delivered it.  Together they went and solved the RFI problem but I thought that was pretty funny. 
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ok, you guys run your kilowatts, I will just keep my 20 W and my finals intact. W7zac
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited July 2018
    What do they do to prevent RFI suppression on each port?   I know they mention it, but I would like to know under the covers what is there?

Ray, the voltage sagging may not be a powersupply issue, but ohms law issue.  Somewhere you have a slight bit of resistance that is causing the voltage to drop either at a connector, fuse or even the powerpolls.  You can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop while under full load.

You can increase the powersupply up to about 15V without harming the radio.  

Is the powersupply sagging or is it that the power cables and connection causing some voltage loss.  To test for sagging, measure the full load voltage at the power supply lugs and then at the radio and see if there is a difference.

Find the voltage drop and make sure you clean all the connections to insure there is a 0 ohm connection (aka, a deal short).

Lastly, from 80 to 100 watts is less than 1 db less of RF power and yes, you might be able to measure that in FT8 (a -10db signal will now be -11db) you might ask yourself if it is worth the effort.

BTW, I get full power out on FT8 on 20M with an RS20A on a 6600 and I just checked on 40 by setting Tune to 100 and it was 102 watts out.  My RS20 doesn't sag at all.

Are you sure what you want to do is going to fix your problem?  How much power out do you get with Tune set to 100?

Mike va3mw

• Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Using two MAAS 25A PS one each for my 6500 and 6700. 6500 with an Expert Amp, so drive only around 35W max. 6700 with my Acom, more drive power 80 watt. None of them sags a single volt when running in contest. I have both PS on top of each radio. No RFI, and very short cables, max 25-30cm. I'm mainly on SSB, some CW, but no HP FT8 or RTTY, so not comparable perhaps? But long power cords, IMHO, a recepie for trouble ;)
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Since the station has been built as a SO2R, M/S, or M/2 station from the grounds up, RFI management is a multi-prong solution. The shack is physically separated from the main house and has its own 60 amp service and electrical panel. The entire panel is fed using a commercial EMI filter- and a Siemens FS140 whole house 140 KA surge protector- to ensure nothing comes from the main house. This also ensures that the amplifiers are somewhat protected. Specifically for the DC bus, the full RFI prevention chain is as follows: 1) Commercial EMI filter directly before the power supply. 2) 100 amp power supply 3) 3 x commin mode chokes made by looping 9 turns thru Ferite Rite material 31 Big Clamp On right before the DC distribution box. The overall strategy is to bring clean AC into the shack and then deliver clean DC to each operating position. A strict “clean desk” policy is in enforcement and the power supply, the chokes, and the DC bus are all attached to the bottom of the shack desk and nothing is visible on the top of the desk. Note that the DC bus also feeds the fans for the 3 KW bandpass filters and the 2x8 antenna switch; they also have CM chokes. On the RF side, every antenna feedline has its own CM choke and goes thru a 3 KW bandpass filter before connecting to the 2x8 antenna switch. Every antenna also has its own CM choke at the feed point. Due to proximity a couple of verticals require their own coax stubs at the base. It’s pretty straightforward actually and there is nothing groundbreaking, just being disciplined to follow established best practices. The key is to resist the temptation to improvise and hit the textbooks before doing anything; then develop a complete design and execute it all at once.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.