Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Used Value Of Previous Flex 6500 And Flex 6700 Models

Jerry  WA9UKB
Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
One thing for sure if the 6400 has the retail value that is posted on the website my 6500 is now virtually worthless on the used market,
the 6500 was 4200 new and if the retail is what is shown  for the 6400 and has two receivers then the 6500 wont have much resale value. I was afraid the flexes would de-value the same as computers.

What do others think?

Jerry, WA9UKB 

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yep, it's a safe bet that anyone looking for a 4-slice Flex rig will be looking at the newer models.  But (for what it's worth) you still should be able to trade in your 6500, although I question whether the upgrade cost would be worth it.

I see FRS reduced the price of the 6700 by $500 which makes me wonder if the 6700 hardware is about to be superseded too.  Maybe with a larger screen for all 8 slices?  Nothing I'd be interested in upgrading too.  My 6700 and Maestro work just fine.

It's a shame FRS is moving away from the slim profile of the 6300 and 6500 cases.
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    By the way flex removed the retail prices they had listed, the Flex 6400 was listed at retail of $1999.00 Should have saved the web page.

I did find this listed in the by it now, surely the 6600m is not what is listed below, it says.

Purchase a reservation for the FLEX-6600M. The reservation is fully refundable at any time and will be applied toward the final purchase price of $3999 at the time of shipment.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When you buy a 2017 auto, you know there will be a 2018. It's what the Japanese call Kaizen, "continuous improvement". What is the obsession that emerges to buy the newest radio, when last week your 6500 was adequate? I have yet to operate in any manner where the 6500 did not meet my needs. The "added dynamic range" is virtually unusable in most situations where the local man made QRM has higher than desired noise levels. And realistically, you probably won't see these new radios before years end, if we are that lucky. At some point you have to realize that we are obsessed with measured specs that can't be realized.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Comparing the main hardware (guts) looks like they might be keeping that all the same.

Comparing Scu 6300/6400 looked the same and 6500/6600 seemed the same but with added scu and 2 transverter IF outputs.

So really a good deal. So RX and TX specs are very similar which is great too.

Good for Flex. And yep my (old) 4 wheel car gets me to where I am going too.

Maybe test drive the new one when they come out this fall.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That was a serious load of insight. I can't improve upon it, but can offer the one example in which I ran neck and neck in a contest with two K3's while using a 756 Pro 3 myself. If specs won the day, I would have lost big time,

And I'm pretty sure I would have beat them with my "lowly" 6300. We want good radios, but specification lust is much better at winning **** waving arguments than contests.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think that we are in the Moore's Law stage of SDR's . They are going to keep improving, just like computers did in the early days of the PC. Meanwhile, there are happy users of all of the earlier Flex radios, and I suspect I'll be happy for at least a few years yet.
  • KM6XX
    KM6XX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The real question is; How long will FRS continue to support the 6500 and 6700 with future SDR updates?
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have noticed thru the software updates that boot up times have increased since originally bought. Newer units like computers should be faster.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

As long as the 6000 series exists all model of the 6000 series run virtually the same firmware and exactly the same software.

So I do not see that the 6500 or 6700 being obsolete until the 6000 series is obsoleted

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Flex will be offering a Trade UP program for 6500 and 6700
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Matt has given no numbers yet, and probably won't have any for a few weeks. But he will be working hard to be extremely fair while protecting the value of the used equipment.. I anticipate hearing an offer on a trade-up from my 6500 to a 6600. Deposit is already paid. The 2nd SCU and built-in contest bandpass filters sold me. (Darn it...I had NOT planned upon ordering a new radio only four years after getting this one. But it will probably be Sept/Oct delivery). I had PLANNED to buy a RadioSport headset! Can't do both! Hi hi... Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Correct. Discontinued, but still supported. Not obsolete.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I would imagine tha the new case was so that all four rigs would have the same case, and so that they wouldn't need separate case styles for the 'M' models. Engineering efficiency.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Does that mean there is not going to be a Trade Up for 6300s?

I am starting to worry what I can actually sell my 6300 for with the newer models (6400) stated price below that of the used 6300 on Flex's website.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Opposite actually, FRS said they would have a trade-up program. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You just won't be able to get much for a 6300 because they'll have trouble selling them as opposed to the 6400.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think radio's with knobs may appeal to a wider ham radio market 
    and that's the reason FlexRadio is migrating in this direction
    Look what Icom - Elecraft - Expert and others are doing with their
    SDR rigs !

FRS been a like a fast computer in a box, but with knobs, it feels like a radio !

Makes a lot of sense !
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Before they took the prices down,  a 6600M was $4999.00, the 6600 was $3900.00.
     I'm guessing a typo. Unless the price has dropped already. :-)

I don't know why they removed the prices. I prefer to know the final price before I make a deposit.

Having 2 SCU's, true diversity reception and 2 REC Antenna ports are added bonuses above my 6500, so........maybe.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Had there not been market pressure brought to Flex, They could have easily set the price for the F6600 to $5500. Then the resale value of a F6500 would be much better, and of course we would pay much more for a F6600. In the end we will probably be out about the same amount of money either way. I am just going to pay it, move on and enjoy the new rig.
    In the end Flex will expand their customer base and we will all benefit from it.

Dan KM6CQ
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    At the Hamvention, the quoted price for the 6400 was still $1999 without tuner.  I didn't ask the tuner price.  The 6400M was $2999 without tuner.  For what it's worth, the M models were neat to look at.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I will have to see what the trade-up offer is for my 6300.  It works just fine, so I'll have to be convinced that the trade-up deal is worth it.  Going back to the used car analogy, it may be a few years old but ITS PAID FOR!!!!
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I cannot use it the majority of the time due to Utility Power Line Noise anyway, I know about devalued progression thru time but a sudden drop? Should have sold it before Feb, Most knob radios devalue but unlike Computers, so I see my Flex in the same category as computer devaluations. Just my opinion only, all others make up your own mind.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well, glad they canceled my 6500 order for me. Looks like I will be able to find a great price on a used 6300 or 6500 soon? Not much to go wrong with them but dust in the fans. Meanwhile, ,my 3000 is working great and updated frequently by KE9NS.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The 6500 I bought in late 2014 replaced my last 'new' radio, an FT-757gtxII I bought in 1987. Even if I live long enough, I'm pretty sure the 6500 will last me past the point I care about new technology...
  • N5LB - Lionel
    N5LB - Lionel Member
    edited May 2017
    Well, a few months ago I traded my 5000 for a refurb 6300 after selling off a bunch of old gear to make up the difference. Now, well, i feel pretty bad and though I think the 6400 may be a better rig there is little chance one will ever be in my station, the budget being blown on the 6300. The 6300 seems like it will be seriously devalued either on the open market or as a trade up. I feel like I just drove it off the lot. I work some contests, almost all cw, never so2r, poor HOA antenna: 6300 or 6400 probably doesn't matter. It is probably not safe to assume that ssdr development for the 6400 will be backward compatible in many cases. Ho hum.........just carping, FRS does what any successful company has to do in a tough market.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The 6700 is still very much a current radio. It should hold its value, especially if you factor in trade up value.  The 6600 may have two SCUs but it doesn't have the other stuff in the 6700 like 8 slices (which I use), 144MHz and the rx loop. 

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No rx loop? Really, that's a definite deal breaker. Keeping my 6500 ...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.