Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Use FDV for the Flex Net

Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Dudley should use FDV for the Flex Net this Sunday. I was on 20 meters tonite and it was unbelievable the amount ofhams that were using FDV. This would let every know how well it works.
0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wouldn't that exclude those that do not use FDV?
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Yep, no FDV for 1500, 3000 and 5000 users. Not to mention checkin's using other radios. And also, band conditions may not be good enough everywhere for digital reception. Analog voice signals can be heard when digital would fall apart. james WD5GWY
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Guys,

Just because the non-6000 series do not have FDV built in, they can still run the original version. 6000 series owners just have it, with the click of a 'button'. (Yet another reason to upgrade! [hihi])

73's de Mike

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I mentioned this to see what kind of coverage there would be. It could be a complete flop. It would interesting.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    As with any mode, it will be effected by propagation. I like FDV, but, poor propagation can cause dropouts, that makes a signal unreadable. When band conditions are good, then it should be a very useful mode. With standard analog signals, even with some fading, there is a good chance you can still carry on a QSO with minimal problems.
      It would be fun to try. Maybe, during the net they could announce a segment will be using FDV and see how many can copy and what kind of results they get.
    james
    WD5GWY

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Probably not.  For three reasons.

1.) Exclusion for those who do not have a 6000 or have not configured their radio to use FreeDV
    2.) Those who stumble across the net would not be able to listen or know that it is a net unless they are very familiar with digital voice
    3.) FreeDV requires a strong signal and propagation does not always ensure that will be the case.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    agree
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm surprised there is not a HF frq for Flex guy st hangout, I heard of one but no one seems to be there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.