Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

usb to firewire adapter

i have just got flex 3000 but my pc is bran new also but it dosent have a firewire connection can i just use usb to firewire adapter thanks

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't think that there is a Firewire to USB that works with the FLEX 3000 mainly because of the data speed and you will need a Card that Plugs into the motherboard preferably with a TI chip set, hopefully your new computer has expansion ports that can accept a expansion card.
    73's and good luck
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    No, it will not work. If you look around you can find a fire wire card for your computer. I bought a PCIE card for my new machine and it works fine.
  • Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020

• Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020
    do anyone know what card i want thank u
  • Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020
  • Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020
    i dont have clue really so i need a fire card ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What does it say under the slot,,it looks like an PCI slot
    Here is the different ones

• Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Looks like you have both a pci and a pcie you can use. look at my pictures. the pcie is the short one. the one you want are blue.  Amazon will have cards for both.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It looks like you have available PCI and PCIe slots for usage of a firewire card.

I would recommend this card:
    https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-FireWire-2-Port-PCIe-NN-E20012-S2/dp/B000G6U8VY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=siig+1394a&qid=1584725794&sr=8-1

• Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020
    i got this bill thank u for all help
  • Paul Vitty
    Paul Vitty Member
    edited March 2020
    thank u
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Glad to help Paul
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The Flex-3000 is ideal for fieldday or EMCOMM use as you can put a notebook on top the TRX. Both the Panasonic CF-52 and thE GETAC S400 semirugged notebooks have firewire connectors that work with the Flex-3000. You can get them in a good used condition.
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited March 2020
    I had semi success with a converter..usb to firewire. Its worth a shot otherwise u need a card and a spare slot. Give converter a shot first.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    An adapter? It will just not work if the 1394 bus is being emulated by a different physical interface. This is why we gave advice to get a proper card for his slots. They are not expensive.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Let me put this issue to reset.  A native Firewire 400/800 interface is required.  In general, the VIA and TI chipset based Firewire adapters work the best for Win10.  Not all Firewire adapters can handle the high data throughput that is required for the FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.