USB setup for BandMaster III and Prometheus DX2400 SS amp in V1.10.8

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Congrats for a nice feature and a great job on the tools to configure and test the set up.  I especially like the data logging/display feature.  It made it very easy to confirm the serial communication parameters and see that the data was as expected.  It was also nice to monitor the BCD data going to the BandMaster III. 

Some background on my setup......
I converted the interface for my BandMaster III antenna switch and Prometheus DX2400 Solid State amp to use the new USB features.  Previously they were controlled by DDUtil.  

I set up the BandMaster using BCD with a cable from DigiKey and DB9 connector from Winford.   Previously with DDUtil I controlled it with a serial interface and could had done it again but wanted to try the BCD.  

I used the serial cable from DigiKey for the Prometheus connection.  Simply connected the DB9 from the USB cable to the DB9 I used to plug into my computer serial port when it was controlled by DDUtil.  The amp also accepts BCD but that would have been a little more work so took the quick connection.  

Here are a few snapshots below I made for reference.       

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
Win10

***** BandMaster ******

***** Prometheus DX2400 ******

***** DB9 breakout boards for connecting the BCD data lines to the BandMaster III *****

*** DigiKey cable part numbers *****
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1660 Posts
  • 565 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1660 Posts
  • 565 Reply Likes
I updated my station overview diagram for the 6700 USB setup.  Still have the Alpha 4040 tuner in the diagram and hoping it will be a reality some day.  (it's been on order since November 22, 2011).

No longer a need for a local PC running DDUtil to control the amp and antennas switches.

More details on at:

http://www.nn4zz.com/Prometheus.htm#FLEX_6700_Cable_Adapter_box_-_July_2013

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Win10
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 298 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
        Well documented, Al.  It should help point the way for other devices as well.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 705 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes

Now ,when you get your Smart Antenna Switch,  you wont even need that cable to the Bandmaster III!  

MX and HNY Al

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1660 Posts
  • 565 Reply Likes
Hi Larry,
Yes, if I didn't already have the BandMaster III set up the Smart Antenna Switch would be the way to go.   I'm pretty happy with the USB setup though, it is a nice way to control everything I have without requiring the local PC in the middle.  

And the new networked amp sounds nice but my Prometheus DX2400 Solid State amp does a great job and now that I have the USB interface set up it's a keeper as well.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Win10
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1660 Posts
  • 565 Reply Likes
I added some additional pictures and cable connection tips for the BandMaster III BCD setup on my web page.  

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Setup_and_testing

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Win10