usb port resets

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Ever since I've been using the new Power Genius amplifier (with a 6600), I've been experiencing USB port disconnects. I have to toggle the "ENABLE" button in the USB cable setup window to restore it. The enable button shows that things are OK, but toggling it usually solves the problem.

On occasion, the entire cable is "X'd out" as if it weren't even there. I have to reboot the radio when that happens. Doesn't seem to happen as much on 160 and 80m, but very often on 2o0m and 17m. 

This happens with both the BIT cable and the CAT cable. 

Likely an RF interference problem as I've gone up in power from 1000w to 1500w, but I haven't been able to resolve it with the usual RFI mitigation tricks and swapping cables doesn't help either. 

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
Photo of K9SO

K9SO

  • 81 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

  • 1
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

  • 378 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I have been running the PGXL since the earliest 1 fo 2 alpha hardware versions and have never seen this behavior. I recommend you log a help desk ticket. Short of RFI on the ethernet cable I'm not sure what the issue could be.

73,

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

  • 1798 Posts
  • 627 Reply Likes
Hi Fred,
If you think it is an RFI issue you might consider some of these options to isolate the radio.  I was having RFI related issues and here are the things I've done for my 6700 setup and documented them on my web page.


Isolate the USB port with a high isolation hub

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#USB_Port_protection_



Isolate the Ethernet connection with a fiber link

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Ethernet_Lightning_Protection



And just for reference, some other RFI considerations

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#RF_issues_and_solutions



Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
Win10

Photo of K9SO

K9SO

  • 81 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks for the great information guys! Michael Walker pointed out that I might be looking in the wrong direction and it might be the receiving device causing the problem, not the radio. I think that a reset of the controlled device would probably require a USB software reset in the radio (which is my symptom).

 In answer to Michael's sidebar question, one device is the new SteppIR controller (CAT Cable) and the other is an 8 port SainSmart USB module that I use for 1-of-8 antenna selection relays (BIT cable). 

I'm quite certain this is an RF problem since I also had some issues with PTT switching of the amplifier via Ethernet which was solved by a direct PTT connection. That, too was likely RF getting into my Network somewhere. 

I've got some new things to try. Al, thanks for posting that information. I didn't even know such isolation devices existed. A lot of other great ideas on your website too.


73, and thanks again,

Fred
K9SO