USB CAT output strings

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
I have been interfacing my Flex 6500 to an Arduino UNO using the new USB cabling support and find that many times, when changing bands, two strings, sometimes three strings are output. Only when a band change occurs will there be additional strings. The first string is padded all zeros, then a bogus frequency string, and the correct frequency string. 

Example on 40-meter band change (Auto-report enabled):

FA00000000000;  <unknown>
FA00007154879;  <unknown>
FA00007157500;  < correct>

Any ideas?

W7NGA  dan
Seaside, Oregon
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 437 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ed.G

Ed.G, Software Engineer

• 88 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I think this is a side effect of the stages that the radio is going through. On a band change the slices are removed (causing the FA0000..) then a new slice is created on the band (causes the second FA00007154879) and then the slice is tuned to it's persisted value (causing the final FA output). 

Have you seen this cause problems with your device? Has anyone else experienced problems with 3rd party devices because of this transition? 
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 437 Posts
  • 187 Reply Likes
Ed, thank you for the quick response. No problems on my end .. just a curiosity when unknown data arrives unexpectedly. I am using the Arduino to follow frequency, switch antennas mid-band, control beam configurations, rotate beams, debounce and improve on the olde Vibroplex bug keying, and turn on the espresso machine whenever I dial in a RTTY channel in anticipation of a lot of CQ'ing without reply! -W7NGA