Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB-Cable

DJ1YG
DJ1YG Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Hi all,

I was fascinated about the new USB cable option and hoped to finally succeed in connecting my tuner to my 6700 radio after several attempts with DUtil failed. The tuner is as old as my Yaesu FT 2000 and the two worked together perfectly using the BCD band data A, B, C and D supplied by the Yaesu trx. The tuner is a Hamware AT-402 unit.

To connect my 6700 and the tuner I would prefer to use the FTDI USB to serial Cable DB9M but the USB-Cable Interface Guide does not address the 4 pins of the DB9M providing the 4 BCD signals.

Any idea? Thank you

vy 73, Dieter, DJ1YG

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dieter, You must use a bit cable like this one sold by Flex or other distributors. https://www.amazon.com/FTDI-C232HM-EDHSL-0-Assembly-USB-MPSSE-Output/dp/B00HKK4PUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481654883&sr=8-1&keywords=ftdi+i2c+cable . Look at the USB guide and you'll use wires 2, 3, 4, and 5 to your own connector. Set the USB on the Flex to BCD. It'll work. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I believe you would need to use the USB to Parallel cable. Here is the link...

http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Parallel-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1001.html

This is the link with the data to use the cable...

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/?_ga=1.249011335.1678774256.1417055...

Jon...kf2e
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited November 2019
    what exactly IS the deal with this "usb cables" thingy in the newest beta release ? whats it for ?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Rob,
    The purpose or difference with the new radio USB support is that you can now control your station peripherals without using a PC for the connections.  The connection is made directly from the USB ports on the back of the radio.   Previously many folks used a program like DDUtil that runs on the PC, connects via the CAT program and uses the COM ports on the PC. 

There is support for both serial (DB9) connections and parallel (BCD) connections with the new USB radio ports.  I was using DDUTil and the PC serial (com ports) to control my amplifier and antenna switch.  I changed my setup to use the Radio USB ports.   In my case both peripherals just need frequency data.  If you are using a peripheral that requires other command logic (like a SteppIR antenna) you can still use the new USB port but it won't support the commands like 180 reverse, etc.    So unless / until FRS adds specific control support some folks will want to stay with the DDUtil type control. 

I used both the serial and BCD methods and documented the setup and wiring on my web page:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Setup_and_testing

Hope this helps...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Al

Excellent description.

Tim VE6SH
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Al, It's my understanding that DDUTIL can use the USB Comm cables attached to the radio also as COM ports via SmartCAT; therefore, still being able to remotely using a laptop.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi Mike / WA6FXT
    I didn't see that feature mentioned anywhere but I haven't been looking at the remote operation aspects.  Also I don't see anything but PC COM ports listed in DDUtil drop down boxes.   Is there documentation on how to set this up somewhere?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    Al - your question would be better served for the Community if you would create a new topic for the DDUtil question.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Al.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    One advantage that is overlooked for the serial cable feature is that it's possible to now assign CAT data by antenna port and not just by slice. This was not in DDUtil, at least not that I saw. DDUtil forced you to the TX slice, always and it only really was useful on one port. This didn't work for some SO2R setups or more complicated setups with antenna switches and tunable antennas (eg SteppIR). 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    One advantage that is overlooked for the serial cable feature is that it's possible to now assign CAT data by antenna port and not just by slice. This was not in DDUtil, at least not that I saw. DDUtil forced you to the TX slice, always and it only really was useful on one port. This didn't work for some SO2R setups or more complicated setups with antenna switches and tunable antennas (eg SteppIR). 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.