Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB BCD Cable - BCD code for 17 meter band supposedly incorrect

Peter PH0PPL
Peter PH0PPL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
USB BCD (parallel FT245) cable - all bands except for the 17 meter band provide the correct BCD code. BCD code for 17 meter band should be 00110 but I get 00000 instead (which is the code for the 60 meter band).

Can anyone confirm my observation?

Comments

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Are you sure you've tuned the slice to 17M, and not something nearby?  Assuming the cable is configured to track the frequency of the TX slice (there are several options), if the TX slice is tuned outside of the allowed band, the transmitter goes dark and zero will be emitted on the BCD cable.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My AMP follows the radio and a BCD Relay board to 17 Meter just fine, check your Frequency as Dave has commented.

Bret
    WX7Y

• Peter PH0PPL
    Peter PH0PPL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I was tuned out of the 17m band :-( Thanks for confirming that it was me that was doing wrong ;-)

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Bret,

How are you.

What is your solution for BCD with your FLEX?

I need something to follow the bands and auto change my LPF on my amp.

Thanks!

Rob N4GA
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hello Rob, I also saw your post on my question of whether we could change the bcd value with the flex USB setup. As in my case I have a need to select the 15 meter LPF along with the 10 meter section, with ddutil I just went into the .xml file and made the change. Just would like to use the flex if possible since the hardware is there. Just wanted to post what I use for hardware inside my amp - http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html This board works very well and good price. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Joe,

That looks like a great solution. 

How does that Unified Microsystems board connect to the FLEX 6k series?

Thank you,

Rob
    n4ga

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hello Rob, 895-C232HM-EDHSL-0 This is the mouser part number for the USB to bcd cable interface for the board, hope this helps. At this time I am using a parallel port with ddutil but I know this USB to bcd interface cable works with the flex and this bcd board as I know someone with it in place now with the flex. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Joe,

Thank you sir. I've ordered both the cable and the BCD14 board. Will give it a whirl.

Can you let me know who you mentioned so I can ask them a question or two if I have them? 

Thanks very much!

Rob
    N4GA
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Rob, W6PQL has it working from the flex USB to his amp now. I am using ddutil at this time but plan on going over to the flex soon. My issue is that I believe the bcd output from the flex is fixed whereas the ddutil can be edited but even at that it's a matter of a hardware connection change. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Rob N4GA, I just wanted to see if you got the bcd option working? I just completed my setup using the USB port on the flex 6500, works great. This option controls my ldmos amplifier auto bandswitching from the flex, the remote on/off and stby signals are controlled with wavenode software that I use for amplifier monitoring. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Dave K9UWB
    Dave K9UWB Member
    edited May 2017
    Joe WD5y

I am about to connect my 6500 to my amp (w6pql design) for auto band switching. Parts to be used are USB BCD cable to BCD14 board.  My question is did you directly connect the output of the USB device to the BCD14? with the USB device supplying the Voltage/Current to operate the Opto isolator or did you use some pull up resistors. Second did you need a powered hub?
    73 Dave- K9UWB
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I connected directly to the bcd14 board and did not need a powered hub. It works great with no problems. You will be pleased. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Dave K9UWB
    Dave K9UWB Member
    edited May 2017
    joe,

Thanks for the info, that is what I needed to know.  I wanted to take advantage of the isolation between the radio and the amplifier that the opto isolator  provided.
    73 Dave
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Joe,

Sorry about the late reply. I was pre-occupied building another 2x LDMOS amp. I finally got the BCD14 and the C232... USB cable in house here. 

Will be giving them a try shortly. Did you have to give your BCD board 12v or does it get power from the USB cable?

Any other hints appreciated. I could look at the datasheets for both, but it's more fun to talk to another ham. :)

Thanks!
  • Dave K9UWB
    Dave K9UWB Member
    edited June 2017
    For what its worth i have the W6PQL amp connected to my 6500  with the USB BCD cable.  The BCD 14 gets its12 volts from the amp. the USB cable just supplies the drive to the Opto  devices.  The USB connection could not supply 12 Volts 5 Volts at best.. I also liked having the radio isolated from the amp as much as possible.  The system is working perfectly.
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Rob, I used the 12 vdc from the amp control board, it doesn't require much amperage. The only thing I added was a front panel push button that toggled between grounds at either the bcd selection or the front selector switch, this gave me a front panel selection of manual/auto. You will be very pleased with the operation. 73's Joe WD5Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.