Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrading form Win 8.0 to 8.1 problems..

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This may be more of a report than a problem, because I think I solved it, but others may benefit from my experience. I just did the update to Win 8.1 and my SmartCAT stopped working beyond letting me have access to the 6500 and FlexControl Knob. I deleted all my serial ports, rebooted, set them up again, several times, and still nothing....The Control Panel showed the ports, but with the yellow warning triangles on them. ( I have 4 dedicated ports, one PTT port, and 4 shared ports set up.) The solution was to use SmartCAT to remove all virtual serial ports, uninstall SmartCAT, reinstall SmartSDR, reboot, reinstall SmartCAT, reboot, and set up my ports again. It didn't take very long, but was frustrating to figure it out. If you are having trouble getting SmartCAT to work... Follow this procedure and it should begin working again. Apparently the upgrade to Win 8.1 messed up some of the configuration files in the registry. Good luck.

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Sadly, the 8->8.1 migration is as random as the 7->8 and others before it. It obviously plays with the system registry so programs with registration keys held in the registry will appear to be incorrectly installed, etc. I have also found some things programmatically that used to work on 8 and blows in 8.1 (things like calling the file browsing control logic. So, when things don't appear to be working after you install 8.1, I would suggest you uninstall (if you can) and then reinstall. 73
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    The only problem I have heard of so far with 8.1 is that the update process reassigns COM ports. I think if you remove your virtual ports and reset them you will be OK. 73 Greg
  • Marten - VE2WU
    edited December 2013
    If this still doesn't work for you, try uninstalling both the Smart SDR and SmartSDR CAT programs, reboot and reinstall SmartSDR and setup SmartSDR CAT.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I may not have been clear. I got it working, it just took a while and uninstalling/reinstalling of software to do it. Everything is OK now, except I needed to shrink my default font/display size to make it fit. Win 8.1 makes changes to display settings.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.