Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgraded to SmartSDR 1.1 and now the band selection "GEN" (general coverage) is gone

WA4FOM
WA4FOM Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Upgraded to SmartSDR 1.1 and now the band selection "GEN" (general coverage) is gone.  All the familiar bands appear to be there, but the general coverage selection, which was in 1.0, is gone.
The Release Notes did not mention (as best I can tell) that this functionality would be deprecated.
HELP!

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Click at frequency, enter your needed new QRG and Enter - thats is. No need for Gen button.
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Never mind.  It looks like the Powers That Be decided to at least temporarily remove this feature.
    It would have been really neato if someone had bothered to put this in the Release Notes.  That way
    I could have read it and not upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1.  That general coverage feature was very important
    to me.

Now I have to remove 1.1 and *HOPEFULLY* if I fire up 1.0 it will "down-date" the radio.  Pain in the arse this radio has been from Day One.  I love and still have my 5000, but. to tell you the truth, I'm getting sick
    of this 6700.  I suspect I will die of old age before they even get this thing to increment frequency in
    steps less than 50 Hz when on LSB.

For sale: One VERY lightly used FLEX 6700, fully loaded with the GPSDO option as well as the handles.
    First $5000 gets it.  No, I'm not kidding.  If nobody wants it, I'll just box it up for the next 20 years, after
    which I'll put it up on eBay (if it still exists).  Contact me at bobdobson@aol.com.  In the meantime, I'll
    be ordering an ANAN-100D.

Bob  WA4FOM
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the intel, Chris.  It is much appreciated.  73!
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The radio fully supports general coverage receive, of course.  The rub on the button was this:  when you add slices in a band and then close that band, we remember where everything was so we can bring it back when you go to that band (persistence).  With general coverage, we consider everything not a ham band to be general coverage.  The net result of this is that anytime a slice veers out of a ham band, we are going to remember that as where you want general coverage reception to be.  As we looked into the effect of this, it seemed rather silly.

All you have to do when you want to receive out of band is to move a slice receiver where you want by dragging it or by directly entering the frequency in the slice receiver.  

The beautiful thing about a software defined radio is that we can change things -- remove things that are not being used and add or make better ones that are.  Nothing is ever set in concrete and if we've misread what folks want, we're happy to make it better!  

We want to understand which features are well used and which aren't.  We've even discussed having a check-box to instruct the radio to report anonymous usage statistics so we know what people are using and how.  For now, we are not doing anything like this and we wouldn't without asking, but it would help us to make better decisions.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hmmm...  Now with persistance its easy to use the GEN Band to save ones favorite SW freq or antenna test freq for example in the BCB Band along with its own Mode, filter etc settings...  Doing it the way you suggest now just screws up the persistance on whatever Band one is on when they change to a GEN Frequency.  I thought this was discussed earlier and I for one didnt come away with the impression it had been canned.
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I thought I'd give this thing one last chance, but no... The DAX installation wiped out the sound in my PC.
    I don't know which DAX it was (Curzon, Jadzia, Ezri, or maybe Joran, the psychopath), but I had to
    scour the Control Panel to get it back.  Good thing I took a full backup of my C: drive partition before
    installing this ****.  Time to part ways with this garbage before my blood pressure goes through the
    roof.

This thing is going back into the original shipping container until I find someone willing to buy it who
    prefers to spend their time fiddling with a radio rather than actually getting on the air with it (what a
    concept!).  No takers yet.

Back to my trusty FLEX 5000 until the ANAN-100D gets here.

Bob  WA4FOM
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited February 2014

I raised this same issue just after persistence was first introduced and asked for a band reset, anytime I moved out of the Ham bands it was a pain to get back, also I noticed several other abnormalities with the rig when outside the Ham bands so I dropped back to V1.0, with this release of V1.1 several of the abnormalities I have experienced are back. However I'm sure I can find a workaround given time without having to drop back to V1.0.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.