Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrade to 6500 from 3000

allenfr
allenfr Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
First, I love the 3000, and have had no problems with the hardware. I generally run under 5 watts, enjoy cw, Jt65 jt9 qrss and WSPR. I gather from reading, that the software problems of using the external software for digital modes is far LESS with the 6500. 
Is going from the 3000 to the 6500 going to make me smile?

Answers

• Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    The short answer is a resounding "YES!"  Having just acquired a 6300, the WSJT-X and FLDIGI setups were a breeze with the building virtual audio cables (known as DAX).  Out of the box, I was up and running WSJTX in minutes.  As a digital op (primarily), the learning curve for configuration of SmartSDR and things like FLDIGI and WSPR, was simple!  Pull the trigger-you will not be sorry.
    73 de K5RHD
    /randy
  • lyndy brannen
    lyndy brannen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I loved my 300.
    I still think it was one of the best bargains ever in radio.
    Still, I sold it to buy a 6300 and I would not think of going back.
    Makes me smile every day./
  • Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I also loved the 3000, I made the transition from the 3000 to the 6500 almost a year ago, you will love it. No more VAC, no more com-o-com or whatever package you are using. You have similar packages in the 6500 but they integrate much better. The multiple audio streams that DAX provides allows you to set up for different modes and switch in a flash. You can also monitor multiple bands and copy different data modes simultaneously.  I think you are guaranteed to smile.
  • Barry-W4TGA
    Barry-W4TGA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Smile, no. Shout for JOY? YES!!!! I made that transition and have never been happier. Enjoy! Barry
  • Mike Heitmann
    Mike Heitmann Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Yes! I upgraded from a 3000 to a 6300 in February. As much as I liked the 3000, the 6300 is better. Software packages like Writelog are starting to add native support for the 6000 series rigs making setup very easy and I see it getting better as time goes on. The 3000 is a great rig but you will not regret upgrading. Mike, N0SO
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    6000 series has much better dynamic range, better CW QSK & digital ops, much better panadapter, better tx audio, much less latency, just for starts. The new RTTY mode is very nice, too, as well as built in FDV and D-star capability with add-on. Moving up to a 6000 series is jumping a generation or two in SDR design.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm smiling all the time ;-)
    I like the way my 6500 works and SmartSDR is developing, OTOH I have kept my 3000
    because it is easy to carry and I use it on fielddays and in the club to show fellow
    hams how SDR's are working.
  • Bob Hinkle
    Bob Hinkle Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I did the same thing.... you will never regret the change !   KK8ZZ

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Great description!  My 6700 still brings a smile after a year and half.  I kept my 3000 as a backup.  When my 6700 went to factory for upgrade, I used the 3000 for a week.  Still nice, but the comparison after a year with 6700 made me even happier I had taken the 6000 plunge.  Good luck.  Do not think you will regret a 6000 radio for sure!

73, Tom
    K1FR
  • KQ4BX
    KQ4BX Member
    edited July 2016
    DStar was nice for the couple of years I used it, but Fusion is the better of the two, especially when it comes to HF. As far as VHF/and UHF, some want to debate the virtues of Dstar over Fusion, but without having bought, or trying Fusion. I have a full line of both radios, Dstar 7100, 5100, and 51A, and Fusion FTM100D times 2, FT-991, FT2, and HRI-200 WiresX. Fusion is the king of digital voice, and that is an unbiased view from someone who has tried DMR, Dstar, and Fusion. I i did that by buying and programming all of them, then giving them a fair test. Until you give Fusion a test and know what is possible with each digital mode, you can't know the virtues and short comings of each mode. If Flex offers Fusion in their next radio, it will be my next radio. It's too bad they did not think to add VHF 2m and UHF to make an all band all mode radio. The Flex team has their HF game aced, now it's time to push it to the next level and give Elecraft a run for their money, and produce a SDR all band, all mode mobile radio. OK, don't flame me because you love P25, or some other commercial digital mode. I was speaking of digital as it was manufactured in amateur radio products, not hand me downs from FPL and Motorola. Politics and lack of continuity is the biggest thing wrong with the DMR system in amateur use. Lack of error correction, poor collision prevention, and complex programming of the radios is what's wrong with Dstar. Fusion is simplicity on the user's end, and it has fantastic audio . It is easy to route and connect with Fusion users on Simplex, making repeaters optional. This is my opinion, and your opinion may be different. I based my opinion on experience with all three modes.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You will be able to monitor 4 digital segments concurrently. I enjoyed lower bands at night and upper bands during the day. With the 6500 made it into the top ten on PSKReporter for number of decodes and countries logged. It's a great radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.