Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrade to 1.10.x went sour. My Bad.

James Del Principe
James Del Principe Member ✭✭

OK, I think I bricked my 6500 and should have known better. I have a new home with a very slow internet (1.5 mb/s) and no connection in the shack right now. I'd have to drill a hole in the floor to cable it. So today I downloaded ver 1.10.x to my laptop at my old home and transported the laptop to the new QTH and connected it to my Flex 6500. The purpose of this exercise was to use my laptop instead of my PC which is currently connected to the Flex and worked OK at my old QTH. Here, I get tremendous RFI from the PC. I had hoped the laptop would be an improvement.

So this is where I'm at. I have ver 1.10.x on the laptop which is connected to a network via wireless (at 1.5 mb/s) and I'm connected to my Flex via a switch (which I've always used). A message on the Flex says "updating software" and the LED on the Flex is a pretty shade of violet. It has been that way for some time now, at least 45 minutes. The laptop is on a web connection but the Flex is not. Did I really brick the Flex or should I wait longer.

When I first fired this up, the Flex window came up and said "update needed" so that is what I clicked on. A yellow **** proceeded to indicate a load was taking place but that reached 100% and now here I sit.    Thoughts please?         73, Jim

Yes, I do feel like a dolt, thanks.

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You scared me with the "Brick" thing. Try rebooting the radio, restarting SSDR, and start the firmware update again - should work now. 
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    OK, Michael. I will try that now. If you hear a scream, it is me.      73, Jim
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    James, No worries, it's not bricked. Just press the power button and it should come back up. In fact, it may come up the new version. Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Well, I held the power button down on the Flex for several minutes and tried that a couple of times. It will NOT switch off.   I will restart SSDR now and see if that made a difference.  Thanks for the reply, BTW.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Pull the power from the rear of the unit. I've yet to brick a radio in more than 100 updates.
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Hi Mack. Thanks for the reply. I held the off button down but it will NOT shut off!!!    Holy Smokes!   and the LED stays violet in color.     Jim   KD1I
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    OK, I killed power at the supply. Now I'll switch on and pray for a miracle.    Jim
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jim, Pull the power from the rear of the unit. Mack
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Well, it came up with the same message "updating software" and the same violet light. 
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ok, submit a help desk ticket and I'm sure Flex will contact you ASAP. Mack
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Mack. Will do Miss the 3725 gang.      73, Jim     KD1I
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    They wi get you back ASAP. See you on 3725 soon.
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Mack, trying to open a ticket but the on-line form will not let me enter a SW version. I entered 1.10.8 and then others but they are all said to be invalid. What am I doing wrong???
  • James Del Principe
    edited December 2016
    Well, as luck would have it, leaving the Flex off for a long period and then switching on did the trick!    Back on the air now.    Thank you for the input and all your kind assistance.      73, Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited March 2018
    My thanks to all who replied. I needed to leave the power off longer and then fired it up and all is well.    Very Best 73, Jim
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Remove power from the radio altogether Jim. then reattach and boot.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.