Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Update to 1.10.16 fails. Tried the instructions in the release notes and now my radio is a BRICK

Comments

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hello Bob, you should make a separate post for your issue so Flex see's it right a way vs. tacking it onto this one.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bob submit a Helpdesk Ticket
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ditto the comments from N9VC re: ICOM updates--the radio is completely bricked if it fails a firmware update and the customer must pay to ship it and to repair it, regardless of warranty.   I have had Flex's from the Flex-1500 to the 6500 I have now.  I have never once experienced an issue updating the firmware or Windows software.  The support provided by Flex is excellent.  It does help to follow the directions explicitly.

There really isn't any excuse for your tirade, which doesn't accomplish anything.  Following my reading of your immature outburst, I promptly updated my 6500 to 1.10.16.  As usual, the update was quickly done, without any issue.

Thanks Flex, for another nice update and your continued support.

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have spent long and mostly happy years supporting PCs.  Don't do that any more (at least not for Pay).  Now I play with radios mostly for fun - some frustration.
    Through all tech there is a constant thread.
    The more frustrated you get the less likely you are to solve the problem .
    RTFB - read the effing book
    Finally, the problem is almost always caused by a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard.
    If the OP would listen to at least half the advice given here he would doubtless have the problem long solved and be happily playing radio
    By the way, curse at me and I quickly reach for the on/off button.
    Entertaining thread
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I had the same update issue as you on my 6500 , it stayed stuck in 'updating software' I had tried to power it off, press the ok, tried many things, eventually I ppowered it off for 1 hour then left it turned on and after a few minutes it suddenly completed the update. So I would say try a few more times to power it off for 15 minutes, then on for 15 minutes and prey for the best ... It eventually worked for me....

• Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    6500, windows 8.1 update was fast.
    He missed the part about powering down radio. Love my Flex
    Terry
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I couldnt agree more. I guess no ones ever had the computer go out on a $70K truck before...lol. If its a computer, its possible to have issues. Nature of the beast. Guess some should go back to tube radios.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I could use a nice 6700,  if you don't want it any more, don't through in the river.  Send it to me as I know I can fix it.  I will pay the shipping on it also.  No problem.

Thanks
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I leased a new $125,000 BMW 750Li which burned 1-2 quarts of oil every 750 miles. It should not happen to that class of car but it did. BMW Said nothing was wrong and refused to fix it albeit they gave me free case of oil every 2,000 miles or so as part of their included maintenance program. I actually thought I had caused the issue by driving 180MPH in GERMANY within the first 500km. But later I found out it was a design error endemic to that model year. At least Flex is pretty good about standing behind their customers. BTW. Now leasing a Tesla. No oil USED ANYWHERE. The moral of the story is that no one can anticipate everything but if the manufacturer stands behind the product like Flex does you should be ok.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'll give $1500 CDN for your 6700 as is and I'll pay shipping.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    $1800 US and shipping
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I got 500 peso's for that brick.. holler
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

1  Disconnect the power supply from the wall for a few minutes
    2  Plug the power supply back in and turn it on
    3  Hold down the OK button and keep holding
    4  Hit the power button
    5  Keep holding the OK button until the radio counts down
    6  Let the radio restore to factory default
    7  Reinstall the new software or downgrade back to a previous version

I just checked the help desk submission form and it is working perfectly as far as I can tell.  If you're unable to make the radio work submit a help desk ticket 

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I worked Antartica with the new software and a vertical.  I don't think it's busted.

73  W9OY  

• WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Lee, to be fair I went through the procedure you described.  It is essentially the factory reset procedure, but I followed yours nonetheless.  The problem is, the moment I give the thing DC power, it turns on whether or not I press *ANY* buttons and comes up with the purple LED and the display saying "UPDATING SOFTWARE".  This includes attempting your instructions to the letter.  This makes essentially nine times I have attempted to factory reset the radio with the same results each time.  If there exists a more harsh way of resetting the radio, I don't know about it.

If I get a chance to attempt submitting a ticket this week (doubtful), I will.  Otherwise, I've fished out my still-functioning Flex 5000A that should meet my needs for the time being.  It ain't as sexy as a (functioning) 6700, but it'll do.

Thanks much for the sincere attempt at helping me with this (for me) infuriating problem.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2017
    The Flex sure is a money pit.  Real SDRs don't use an external computer.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2017
    Big Bucks.... BMW & Tesla.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Another Troll?
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2017

Never had a problem updated the Icom 7700.  Never heard of anyone that has done that.  Can't compare updating the 7700 to installing new Flex software.

• David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You've had time to post everything you have in this thread, but not enough time to submit a ticket? It really does seem to be your best option since the documented procedure and community help apparently hasn't worked for you. I'd suggest taking a minute or two to at least cut and paste a ticket in from your many posts in this thread, sans the hostility. I suspect you'll get taken care of. Good luck!
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Sorry it didn't work for you.  I've never heard of this result but there may still be an easy fix.  Certainly frustrating.   Give Dudley a call tomorrow.

73  W9OY 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure if this has any bearing on this issue but whenever I do any updates to the Flex I take it off my network switch and plug the ethernet cable direct into my PC I figure this way I have one less thing to cause any problems. When the update is good then I go back to the switch. I never ever had an issue with my 6500 and any updates, knock on wood!   
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Don't feed the troll
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    David, I never said I didn't have time to submit a ticket; those are your words.  I said that the attempt to do so failed.  That led to my coming here and did nothing for my attitude.  In defense of the ticketing system, I was able to submit a ticket a few minutes ago and yes, sans the hostility or in fact expression of any emotion whatsoever (i.e., "just the facts").  I even received e-mail confirmation of the creation of the ticket.  I do thank you for your advice.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Call them in the morning, I am sure they will accept your call.  
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017
    Ah yes . . . When someone says something negative about flex they are called a TROLL . . . Lets start the name calling
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @Steve KK9W - look over SteveJ's posts to the community please. Or should I say the posts that haven't been deleted. Howard KY6A is only pointing out the obvious. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    To tell you the truth, I'd call them if I could be near the radio and be able to immediately try their suggestions.  The fact that the radio is unresponsive to (now about 20) attempts to perform a factory reset is daunting.  Unfortunately, work is the curse of the drinking class, so I'm going to opt for the e-mail route and, if time permits, take any steps they offer and try them out when I can.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Bob,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the upgrade processes and I can appreciate your frustration.  Experiencing issues like you have encountered during an upgrade are rare and are normally not fatal.  We'll be able to resolve this problem.  

I also am concerned about your issues opening a HelpDesk support ticket.  There are two ways to do this; via the HelpDesk's web interface or by simply sending an e-mail to support@flexradio.com.  To expedite getting assistance, I have converted your ticket into a HelpDesk support ticket.  One of our support engineers will be contacting you this morning to address your concerns.

Again, we apologize for your inconvenience.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The majority of radio updates I install end in the pink LED of death but I'm always able to recover with a radio reset and retry once or twice.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just to show you the absurd coincidences that make like much more amusing...

I have not had a great time with my Palstar AT2KD - the first one arrived with parts missing (feet/bumpers), the replacement unit had a dead switch.

I wrote complaining about Palstar's apparent lack of QC, to the vice president and wife of the President of the company and never received any response.

Yesterday I seemed to have lost all my HF antennas (the Palstar AT2KD just died).

I swapped in another (MFJ) antenna tuner and went to Palstar's web page to see who to complain to, and I saw this glowing review on the website's front page:

"Mine performed flawlessly...it just sits there and works"
    -WA4FOM

So, Robert can be impressed, just not with his 6700?

I've had my own bricked Maestro and such, but FRS has been outstanding in their rapid and helpful support.

Palstar, not so much.

We all have our own unique points of view.

Vy 73,
    Roy AC2GS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.