Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upcoming SO2R Board Shots

2»

Comments

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    It's only for use with the FLEX-6000 Signature Series radios.  The software in the radio needs to understand that it is present and how it works so that it can control it and switch it's own configuration to match the operation of the box.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the update Steve, that's very helpful. If I have understood this right, with my 6500 I may be able to connect both of the so2r box antenna outputs to radio a and radio b ports of my existing 2x6. Port antenna switch and then direct which of the six antennas connect to radio a and b - either manually with my existing manual switch or auto via. Band data output from the so2r box . This sounds like it would save me buying both a bandpass set of filters and a traditional so2r. Type box and avoid having to use my traditional back up radio (ic7400)? In the short term it would also save me having to change to the new 8 antenna port Ethernet antenna switch as I can control my existing microham. 2x6 port switch with band data output . If that is correct then it will save me buying a lot of new kit , and if collaboration is going well with n1mmplus authors then hopefully we will also eventually see more integration in the contest software. And maybe a move to Api control and away from traditional cat control? Am really glad that flex are. Doing so much to help us contesters up our game on so2r so we can take full advantage of the superior rx filtering and bandscope etc which we already enjoy. I have tried so2r with my ft1000d and pro3 but found the microham mk2r+. So2r box too fiddly to set up for data work , and therefore am currently just using my 6500 in so2v mode with the second slice. Works well but. The so2r ability to search and pounce on one band whilst cqing on the run band is a major advantage. ( once you get over the learning curve!) so I am keen to get back on it . As one of the few people in uk using flex 6000 radio for VHF and HF contesting I would be happy to volunteer to test the new unit when it's finalised
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Some further queries regarding the new box - if I use qrp power levels and my antennas are well separated say on 80m with a 1/4 wave vertical plus a low dipole - will I be able to do in band so2r ? Also, as I contest on 6m and 4m (via tvtr port) is it possible to plug two different 6m yagis ( with some distance between them and facing say NE and SE ) into the so2r box ports 3 and 4 , so I can receive in two directions at same time? And then choose which antenna to tx on ? If the box is not quite in final version is it possible to enable tx onto both port 3 and 4 at the same time so I could split the tx on 6m equally between the two ports and feed two amps , one on each antenna , to two different directions at same time , and (ideally) choose to rx just 3 or just 4 or one in each ear as I currently do with so2v? That would really be the icing on the cake for me as it would replicate what we currently have to do with external relays and two radios in VHF field day on 2 4 and 6m . To be competitive on VHF in uk you really need to be able to feed tx into two antennas or stacks with an amp on both and then rx on both antennas with the ability to switch rx so both ears are on one stack or the other once it's been established which direction the caller is calling from, currently we use a lot of external. Audio switching with two operators to achieve this with two traditional radios. If flex can make this possible with the so2r box and software enhancements in ssdr it will be a major advantage and selling point to VHF and UHF. Contesters ..
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve GW0GEI:  You probably will still need external bandpass filters, same as now, if running an amp.  Flex worksheet is helpful for calculating how much additional attenuation may be required.  ("FDX" (full duplex) = what we contesters consider to be "SO2R".)  See: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-fdx-power-calculation-worksheet-pdf/
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I can understand why that might be necessary although in the case of our uk 80m series contests there is a qrp section and the ability to. So2r on the same band via well separated antennas. May be possible without external bandpass filters?
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Some further queries regarding the new box - if I use qrp power levels and my antennas are well separated say on 80m with a 1/4 wave vertical plus a low dipole - will I be able to do in band so2r ?  

In band SO2R is all about the separation between the antennas and the isolation in the radio.  I recommend using ANTx for one and XVTR or RXA/B for the other antenna port as the isolation is ~50dB higher.  The best thing to do is just try it at 1W and see what kind of levels you have in the receiver with your setup.  The radio is calibrated at 1W so you should be able to calculate the isolation easily knowing that your power output is very close to +30dBm.

Also, as I contest on 6m and 4m (via tvtr port) is it possible to plug two different 6m yagis ( with some distance between them and facing say NE and SE ) into the so2r box ports 3 and 4 , so I can receive in two directions at same time? And then choose which antenna to tx on ?  

You could do this on a FLEX-6700, but on a 6500 and 6300 you cannot predict the phase difference in time of arrival of the signal to different antennas.  This will depend on multipath and the direction of travel (which antenna gets hit first and how long in advance).  You could easily end up with a net gain on one signal while cancelling out the signal right next to it and you would never know it.  In other words, the same signal on the two antennas could hit the combiner 180-degrees out of phase and exactly cancel out before it gets to the receiver.  

If the box is not quite in final version is it possible to enable tx onto both port 3 and 4 at the same time so I could split the tx on 6m equally between the two ports and feed two amps , one on each antenna , to two different directions at same time , and (ideally) choose to rx just 3 or just 4 or one in each ear as I currently do with so2v?

This is beyond the scope of what we will be doing with this box.  I really think it would be better to have to phase coherent transmitters that you can drive independently to alter the polarization.
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Steve, i intend trying in band so2r with qrp on 80m once I have finished tuning my 80m vertical and used the worksheet with the seperation distance. On the two 6m antenna query i can understand your point if they were receiving the same signal but if they are two sharpish 7 ele long boom yagis facing ne and se from my position here on west coast of Wales, i would not usually hear a signal from se on the ne facing yagi and visa versa - so in that situation with new port 3 and 4 could i not hear both directions in full duplex and one to left ear and one to right? Since my upgrade from 6300 to 6500 I now have the option of trying in band so2r on 4m with the 10m if tvtr feeding one yagi for tx and the second yagi on port a for listening and search and pounce to fill my n1mmplus bandmap on the second yagi in a different direction. I havnt had time to test this yet but will line up different beacons on both antenns in different directions to see if it works in fdx mode. On the 6700 i can see the upgrade to that would enable me on 6m or hf to rx on two different antennas for diversity on a and b port with the two scu. Diversity is a facility which may lead me to sell the 6500 and buy a new 6700. Is it possible with the 6700 for the tx drive to be equally split between the two ports or does the physical design inside prevent this ever being allowed ? - in which case i would need to split the tx from a single port via an external system as we currently do on vhf fd. I appreciate your time in answering these queries as it helps me decide whether the new box is the way to go or an upgrade to 6700.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    The filters in the SO2R box are contest band filters so 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10.  There is not a 6m band filter in the box.  So on 6m you would be in bypass -- no filter in line.  If there is truly separation between the two antennas where they would not hear the same signal at about the same level, you would probably be OK.  If you think you could combine the two antennas at the antenna and be satisfied, this would have roughly the same effect.  I believe a good way to test this (don't hold me to this) will be to connect it up as you say, set your output power to zero and then engage the transmitter and look at the receive signals.  The would disconnect the transmit antenna from the combiner and allow you to receive on a single antenna.  You could listen to stations and determine if it is having the effect you want (not adversely affecting signals from each antenna).

There is no built-in mechanism to split the RF output across two antennas in the FLEX-6700.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    [...] And maybe a move to Api control and away from traditional cat control?

Some loggers / software have already switched.  This is really a decision for the particular logger or other software team.  The key benefits to switching are more precise control and the ability to see and do more things (you could measure power out, show panadapters, use more than two slices, etc).  But we're recently updated CAT (due out in v1.6) to provide more functionality for contest loggers which will also enhance the integration and functionality.  More than most, we certainly understand that every team working on software has to decide where to invest and the benefits of that investment and we respect that every team needs to make their own decision based on their priorities.

Thanks for your offer to help with testing, Steve!
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for all the clarification Steve, that's great.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Noted Steve and yes I am aware that dxlab commander now supports the Api - I am currently starting to play. With dxlab to see if I can live with it as a replacement for logger32 for general logging. It has some nice features including the ability to. Swap or equalise the two slices. About to buy a new shack PC here so it may be the time to take the plunge and daily log on dxlab . N1mmplus is used for all of my contesting on HF and VHF so I do hope they will facilitate the API at some stage to integrate it more with flex radios. Last years winter project was trying the flex 6300 - this winter it will be. Learning to integrate my 6500 better and making better use of the logger and contesting software . Always learning
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Dual resonant antenna receive even on single SCU radios.  The additional antenna ports (ANT3 & ANT4) are band filtered then combined when in receive and sent to the single SCU in the radio.  This allows for two antenna reception on radios that have a single SCU
    I suspect this is a stretch, but could this potentially allow stereo diversity reception (listening to one signal simultaneously through two antennas) on a single SCU radio?

Barry N1EU
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I am afraid not.  You need an second SCU to digitize the RF from the diverse (2nd) antenna, so this isn't possible unless you have a FLEX-6700.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    The problem, here, is that signals that are from the same source (single transmitter) will be received in two different antennas with a phase offset.  This phase offset can also move over time.  This will result in fading of the signal and can even result in complete cancellation of the signal if they end up 180-degrees out of phase.  Since the phase offset varies based on antenna separation, path of the signal, etc. it will be different for each signal and is not predictable.  Once the combining occurs and it results in destruction of the signal, it cannot be reconstructed.  You could take a signal that is S9+40dB and make it totally disappear in the radio if the phase offset is 10-degrees...
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks guys, no free lunch as expected.  I will go back to saving my pennies for a 6700.
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Has there been any update on availability of the SO2R filter board since last year?

Dave
    K1DLM
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ditto - is this project going ahead this year or has it been delayed / stopped?
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I would appreciate a official answer.
    Thank you very much
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    Unfortunately, at this time we are not prepared to make any public statements on the availability of the SO2R product.  We hope to have an official answer later this year.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Noted , thanks
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So what was this, really? A set of BPF modules? I ended up going the 5B4AGN route. It's a kit (you can buy it assembled) but it works really well. 
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you very much
    73'
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    it was promoted as a fully flex integrated BPF system that also was suggested would enable FDX in a 6500 or 6300 as well as add additional isolation to the 6700.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ria I wasnt aware Bob was selling assembled units, can you share your info on this with me?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What about sharing with all?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There is a yahoo group called "TX BPF" which is where you will get info about ordering, or you can contact bob directly on his email which is on his QRZ page. He's selling assembled units and kits, not sure how many he has left (I built one of mine and I'm building the other). He used to have a website but took it down. I think the cost for assembled is around £450 plus shipping. Kit is about half that price. It has a good bit of SMD soldering for the bypass caps and also zener diodes for the band decoder module. We have a full rework station so it's not a problem for me. A temperature controlled soldering station, tweezers and magnifier should get you where you need to be though.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ranko 4O3A also sells high power BPFs if you wish to go that route but being higher power they are more expensive.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Ria.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.