Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unwanted auto change of operating mode

Glenn Depp
Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Third-Party Software
Flex 6600 changes its operating mode automatically which is causing issues.  While utilizing Software ALE the flex continuously changes to the normal operating mode for voice, even when it is not desired.  I am using MMI commands to control the radio and even when it is the appropriate command for USB the radio automatically overrides the commands and switches to LSB which makes ALE not possible in the lower bands.  Any known corrective actions for this???

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    This behavior has been associated with ALE for some time now.  SmartSDR changes the SSB mode based on the slice frequency.  It uses the standard ham band convention for SSB mode.

This could be easily fixed by the ALE software team by simply issuing a CAT mode command ZZMD or MD (for the Kenwood command set) when it issues the command to change frequency.  I believe this issue has been reported to the ALE software developers, but you may want to do it again.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes I am using that MD command.  It does however not seem to work..  I will try the ZZMD command and see if it works.
    What I am using for commands is: radcmd MD2;FA00000000;FR0;SB0;  (freq substituted)

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    ZZMD also no joy..  I did have some code on previous install that inserted a pause and the the mode change, it worked but don't remember how it was written and don't have the file anymore..
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    Send the mode command after changing the frequency.,
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have now changed the MMI and placed the MD2 at the end, I also tried the ZZMD2 at the end, also tried making the 2 into a 02.  None of those make any difference.  It simply will not change to USB without me selecting USB in the SmartSDR which does nothing when scanning in ALE as it just reverts right back.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    Please provide an example of the exact commands you are sending when you change to a different ALE frequency.  I want to test it.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Not supposed to send FOUO Frequencies out.  I will send the exact copy with a Amateur frequency listed.  Same issue occurs with this frequency as with the one I am trying to use.  They are close, just above 4mhz.

radcmd FA03999000;FR0;SB0;MD2

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    For starters, SB0; is not a supported CAT command for the FLEX-6000.

Second, are you executing these commands as a single string?  That may be part of the problem as the parser may not be able to split up the string into separate commands.

Third, the MD2 command is missing the command terminator (;)

And last, I do not know if you can add a wait or a pause between issuing the commands or not, but if you can, that would be preferred.  Some CAT commands will return a value, especially if the command syntax is wrong or the command is not supported (?;).

I ran the command string that you provided and all of the commands ran successfully except for SB0; which returned a ?; since it was not supported.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I removed the SB0 command.  I searched in the Kenwood files myself and couldn't find there.  Not sure why he built that into the MMI for me.  The MD2 did or rather does, I must have either not copied it or deleted it on accident.  Even with that deleted I have same results, I am at a loss.
    I am only scanning 2 channels per slice so I can have a pause, I am not sure how to enter that.  I also am not sure how to enter on multiple lines.  But this 4Mhz freq is not the only one that has issues, there is a 6Mhz channel that does the same thing, very close to the ham bands where the flex automatically changes the mode from upper to lower.  If that was able to be shut off I bet there would be no issues with scanning ALE right next to the Amateur Bands..
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ok.  I have re-configured my MMI it is now:

radcmd FA00003999000;
    radcmd FR0;
    radcmd MD2;

It seems to work but it does have a lag, it switches over to the new frequency, then pauses for about a second then switches to USB and then continues to scan.  It is kind of an ugly operation but it is working.  Would only work how I am using it, scanning 2 channels at 1 per second, any faster and would be an issue.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    You're making progress.

If you only have one slice open, you can forgo using the FR0; command since you only have one slice and it is always the active slice.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I was using 3 MARS ALE on 3 slices, only 2 frequencies on each.  But now that I am scanning on the Slice 2 with this odd freq issue, I have a click occurring when scanning on 3rd slice.  So I am not sure what I will do.  I don't like the clicking going on in the radio.  I know what it is just don't like a click or two every second or so.  I do not want to wear anything out.
    Also, the switch from LSB to USB does not happen each time.  Sometimes it stays in LSB and switch over on the next one or two scans of that frequency.  Not very consistent.  I VERY much look forward to an internal ALE controller, as well as a M110A modem.  That would be very excellent.  One day.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    While I'm not using ALE, I reported this behavior as well. The explanation that
    "it uses the standard ham band convention for SSB mode"
    (meaning it forces LSB when QSYing into the 80m Ham band for example) should, in my opinion, NOT occur when the QSY is outside of the Ham band.

My kludge work around is to use the excellent FRStack v3 program and its API to the Stream Deck product. When I create a Stream Deck script action to move me to a MARS frequency, I add a few "no-ops" (empty commands) to take up a few extra moments of time (this allows the automatic mode change from Flex to occur) and then the script reasserts the USB mode and any of my other desired settings.

It's not ideal... as it requires two other 3rd party products to do the work around. And I don't think any of this would work with ALE as it changes frequencies constantly.

At the very least, I would ask that, outside of the Ham bands, that no settings be automatically adjusted... OR, allow the user a setting somewhere that toggles that feature on or off --  OR allow "band edges" to be defined by the operator for these automatic actions by the software.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.