Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unlocked TURF file

N6OIL
N6OIL Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So as a ham operator we are allowed to use any frequency at our disposal in a emergency where life or death may be involved  as per rule  97.401 and 97.403 with that in mind and our radios being locked down via the TURF file how are we to use all frequencies in the radio?  

I know the answer is to prevent bootleggers but the question is still valid. and Since that I own the radio I should have access. 

Answers

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    FCC type acceptance means radios can't be manufactured to transmit on unauthorized frequencies for their type.  Now, if you happen to be near a radio that can transmit on a non-ham frequency, you're welcome to operate it to summon help.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Rory It has been asked before. They will not release a Turf file to do that. Mike
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Good luck with that, to me it is more of a CYA thing with Flex. It would also cause problems with certification since the radio would easily be able to transmit on 27MHz and could run afoul of the FCC.

Besides, the ham bands are the first place I would look for help in an emergency anyway, provided I can't call 911.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    While we may be authorized to use what's "at our disposal," this typically means you can pick up a police radio, or jump on a GMRS repeater, or whatever, to send a bona fide emergency message. The inclusion of frequencies not authorized for amateur operators in ham gear is a problem since standards for emission types, stability, power, etc., differ between services. As a public safety radio official, I have always counseled hams NOT to "open up" their rigs because their efforts may actually lead to more interference due to mismatched capabilities, the inability to properly process modulation, and operator training issues. Please -- PLEASE -- do not seek ways to make something work outside its specs and authorization. Your best intentions can lead to serious harm.

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    True Ria I get that but living in rural area it sure would be nice to have options especially if now my Flex is my primary and only radio.

Steve how does one get away with using our radios on MARS then even if you are MARS licensed, what about type acceptance now? 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    To operate on MARS frequencies the equipment doesn't need certification. To operate on other radio services like CB (27MHz) or marine or aircraft band it does. The technicality is that any radio commercially sold that can transmit on those frequencies has to be certified for it. Since your flex is an amateur transceiver, it is not. This is how the FCC is able to **** down on "10 meter" radios since they come out of the box or easily modifiable with 11 meters.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you are MARS authorized and provide proof Flex will access your radio and open up MARS. Otherwise Flex will not open it to work outside the type accepted and approved. The other radio manufactures will not do a modification like though the individuals do on their with hardware modifications. SDR makes this a in control of the manufacture and no way for the owner. Technically making the hardware mod as an individual is not legal and you are assuming the risk.

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So I expect once the the 5Mhz band get ratified we should see it in a new TURF file or a SSDR update?
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    That would be correct
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    MARS frequencies are under the jurisdiction of the DoD, not the FCC.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    That is not necessarily correct.  It depends on which region your radio is currently configured to operate under.  TURF files do not actually set actual transmit limits; that is done in firmware.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    What he said.  :)
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I live in a rural area too.  If you really need a high level of backup communications, a sat phone would be your best bet.  They're not cheap and neither is the service.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Steve I was thinking the same thing, my work has sat phones on standby at each of our schools sites.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Fair enough from a technical point but Flex will updating the firmware etc to bring the radio in line with the current region rules. Is that correct?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2017
    Yes, absolutely.  The latest release did just that for Sweden.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A WiFi OEM was fined $200k for "allowing" users to set their WiFi device outside its Type Accepted parameters:

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2016/db0801/DOC-340564A1.pdf

I wonder how many users actually took advantage of the loophole in the firmware. Maybe 500 users tops, so that's $400 / user.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Lately there have been some pretty decent deals for limited calling plans via sat phone. Check out Globalstar and Iridium, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.