Uninstall Question

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Using Windows 7 - Flex 6500 : I'm uninstalling multiple older versions. Does it make any differences if I uninstall the newest or oldest version, first?
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 464 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 215 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
If I understand you correctly.
This is what I have being doing in the last several years. I delete "ALL" previous SmartSDR versions including CAT and DAX. 
In the beginning; I had doubts/fear that I would need the old version; I placed them in folders that I labeled to delete.
I noticed that the new installed software versions did not called or mentioned; that anything was missing for the new  versions.
I now delete the old version and trashed them out of my system prior to installing the newer versions.
Just for added information: The latest Windows 10 was installed the day after running v1.9.7.         No issue or hiccups has occurred.

Flex-6700
Win10
SmartSDR v1.9.7
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 464 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
The last five versions are on my PC I want to delete them off my question is should I start with the latest version and delete backwards or should I start with the oldest and delete forward?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
If you are deleting them all it makes no difference the order in which you do it.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 464 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I used REVO to uninstall. It removed all traces of it. No phantom comm ports. Uninstalled 5 versions. Start to finish, including installing newest version was about 30 minutes. Working great! Thanks to all ...
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I'm Glad you did successful

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ 
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1324 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes

Hi Bob,

Glad Revo worked for you. It really is a handy program.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1329 Reply Likes
Whatever you do... before you begin, be sure to export all your profiles from your latest version of SSDR. That way you can import them after you mess everything up! [grin]
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
This is what has worked for me without trouble since SSdr 1.4. 
Assuming Flex is off

1.- Close CAT &  DAX windows ( if not, Windows will find CAT Error after you uninstall)
2.- From Windows Uninstall Flex 1.8 and FlexVSP
3.- Clean Registry, I do with CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download)
4.- Clean Registry Twice
5.- Re-start PC
6.- Clean Registry again ( It take just a few seconds) for double sure
7.- turn off antivirus for 15 minutes, to avoid conflicts ( I found Norton interact and after done, file seems to be corrupted, and had to download again)
8.- turn on all USB device, mic, cams, audio DVDoongles ( to avoid SSdr takes a busy port which could create a conflict after everything is done)
9.- Install Flex SSdr 1.9  as administrator ( you won't find any trouble )
10.- Re- start PC
11.- Enjoy your Flex SSdr 1.9
12.-  Everything is good?  Now Open a cold beer

Cheers

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 464 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I know how to install one version an update to the next version my question was if I have multiple older versions Should I uninstall each one from the newest to the oldest or from the oldest to the newest or doesn't it make any difference?
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
You could Uninstall all of them, I don't have any old version installed, I have save in a folder as a memory all versions Installer file, but all have been unistalled.....I just did with 1.8....total uninstalled...and new version is running in this moment with WSJT-X on 20 mts.....

Just be sure to save any new Transmission or Mic profile just in case....in my case haven't done ever....

let me know if my advices were helpful

73's

George YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Not difference which one you uninstall first or last

George YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 345 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Only delete on Wednesdays and Fridays and never during a full moon :^) 
(Edited)