Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Uninstall problem

Rick
Rick Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I uninstalled smartsdr but made a mistake in not quitting Dax and smartsdr. Consequently DAX channels and the driver is apparently still resident. Is there an easy way to uninstall DAX without reinstalling everything and the properly uninstalling everything?

Answers

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Go to your Program manager and click on the Dax and Cat programs and uninstall them,  Restart, then reinstall the main ssdr program (if that is your goal), Restart again (just to be sure), then disable the Dax channels that you will not be using. For example, if you are using the 6300 you only need two dax channels so the other six could be disabled. As with all things, YMMV
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I sold my 6300 so my end goal at this point and for the time being is to completely remove all things concerning SmartSDR. I'm not seeing Dax or cat in the list of programs.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Very Good then, I have been known to resort to IOBit's Uninstaller to help clean out some of the residual things left behind from uninstalling some of the more pesky programs and it usually finds things like registry entries and some other spotty items to get rid of that seems to help keep things cleaner. Of course there's the other way, like running regedit and search for the leftovers one at a time.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'm not a happy camper about this. I decided to reinstall SmartSDR and then go through the uninstall process again. When I open WSJT-X to configure it for a legacy Flex radio I'm still seeing DAX audio ports listed. It's like a **** that I can't seem to get rid of! Any more suggestions before I bother Tim with a ticket that I was hoping to avoid?
    Rick
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    When you did the uninstall, did you answer "no" the dialog box about keeping the DAX drivers?  That will usually uninstall DAX

There is a manual procedure for uninstalling DAX that is in the HelpDesk
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

Just skip the steps that re-installs the driver after the uninstall batch file has been run

If that doesn't work, then the registry and driver store may be fouled up and like the something like the Revo uninstaller may be necessary to remove it.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yes I did answer "no" to the question about drivers. I'll look at your link and see if that will help. Not heard of Revo but thanks for the recommendation. Thanks for your quick reply Tim.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Doesn't work TIm as the FlexRadioSystems file is no longer there because it was already uninstalled. I'm nervous about using REVO but have no choice as these unnecessary DAX channels are gumming up the works here. 
    Rick
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Downloaded REVO and don't see anyway to make it find the drivers for DAX that need to be deleted from the registry unless I have to pay for the pro copy to get that feature. 
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Try this:

Open your Windows "Control Panel" and open the "Device Manager" there.  In Device Manager, click on the "View" pull down at the top and click on "Show hidden devices" (we're doing this just to make sure the devices appear).

Next, go down the list of devices and double click on the "Sound controllers."  You should see a bunch of devices with "FlexRadio" in front of them.  Right click on each FlexRadio device and select the "Uninstall" item from the list.  Tell the system to let the uninstall proceed and if it asks to uninstall the drivers software, tell the system to do so.  Do this for each and every FlexRadio item listed.

Finally, to get rid of CAT ports, go up the list of devices and double click on the Ports (COM & LPT). You should see a bunch of devices with "FlexRadio" in front of them.  Again, right click on each FlexRadio device and select the "Uninstall" item from the list.  Tell the system to let the uninstall proceed and if it asks to uninstall the drivers software, tell the system to do so.  Do this for each and every FlexRadio item listed.

Close the Device Manager and the Control Panel.  Restart the PC (just to be sure).

I'm pretty sure this will get rid of the devices showing up in WSJT-X.

Greg - N8GD

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    TNX for the detailed support but I've done all this. Nothing seems to work to rid my computer of these residual files. I'll include a screen shot so you can see what I'm dealing with. Very frustrating!.
    Rick
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You mentioned in an earlier reply in this thread that you are trying to use WSJT-X with a "legacy Flex radio."  I assume that is one that utilizes PowerSDR.  If that's the case, doesn't PowerSDR require a virtual audio cable program to get the WSJT-X to work?  It looks like somehow your virtual audio cable system is involved with this problem and has mapped the DAX audio utilizing the VAC for PowerSDR.  I see "(virtual audio cable)" after each DAX item, and I don't see that on my Windows 10 PC that has just SmartSDR installed (along with DAX and CAT).  You might get into the VAC program for PowerSDR (if you're using VAC), and see if you can remove the ports connectivity there.  Also, as for the "FabulaTech" virtual ports, have you tried removing the "FlexRadio Systems FlexVSP" if it exists in the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel?  I don't have any experience with PowerSDR or its Virtual Audio Cable app, but from what I've read, having them on your PC could be involved with your problem at this point.

Greg - N8GD

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You are correct, I'm using a Flex 5000A now (I sold my 6300) and love it with PowerSDR especially for satellite operation and various VHF/UHF stuff. I therefore use VAC. It seemed like after I uninstalled all the SmartSDR apps I lost some of the VAC ports, not that I needed that many. And after one of those unplanned on WIndows upgrades, which happened around the same time as the SSDR uninstall, I suddenly had to reconfigure WSJT-X and in doing so I found all the DAX channels still there and a number of VAC channels had disappeared completely. I had a difficult time finding a pair of VAC channels seen by both WSJT-X and PowerSDR. I was able to get it all going, but then found I couldn't clean out the files left behind after the SmartSDR uninstall. Maybe if I uninstall VAC, try and delete the remaining DAX ports, reboot and then reinstall VAC all will be good.

SInce I use a FlexControl with PowerSDR and the 5000 I didn't want to uninstall the FlexVSP, but maybe I'll have to in order to get rid of the residual Fabulatech stuff? Frankly, I'm about ready to return to knobs and dials :)
    Rick, W2JAZ
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You led me down the right path!! 
    I first uninstalled Virtual Audio Cable. When I did that all of the DAX ports disappeared. 
    Next I uninstalled the FlexVSP. I'll just have to reinstall the FlexControl which should be easy
    I rebooted and found the ports still gone, except if I selected view hidden ports in the control panel. I deleted all greyed out ports (DAX and Fabulatech). I then rebooted and all is well!! FInally. Only took most of the day :). And now I can re install the FlexCOntrol and VAC, one at a time :)
    Thanks again!
    Rick, W2JAZ
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Rick,

I ran my own computer consulting and repair business for 15 years until I retired.  I always tel people it's amazing I have any sanity left at all after that!

Glad to have pointed you in the right direction.  The big problem with trying to figure out what's happening on the other end is not being able to see the screen.  You know, "a picture is worth. . . . ."  Anyway, that's why remote control of client's PCs is a great tool for troubleshooting nowadays; unfortunately, some unscrupulous people engage in using it to do bad things too.

Have fun with the 5000A.  I always wanted to at least own a 1500 just to dabble in PowerSDR, but went down the 6300 path instead - but I'm not sorry.  I also own a Kenwood TS-990S and an Icom IC-7300, but the 6300 is always my favorite.

Greg - N8GD

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yes team view can come in handy and has more than once. I have a K3 with vga monitor and icom 7300 along with the legacy flex and I have to admit I'm really liking the icom. I like the fact I don't have to turn a computer on and mess with all that just to check the bands, though I could use my iPad with the 6300. I'm not going to jump,into a new flex for a while and just see what happens. Things ar changing very very rapidly. Thanks again for your help 73 Rick W2JAZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.