Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unable to create ports when upgraded to Smart CAT ver 1.2.17.0

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited January 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Upgraded to version 1.2.17.0, lost my virtual ports. Removed and reloaded a couple of times, nothing seems to help. My main "Connect to 3rd party Program To Port" is Comm4, however third part programs will not connect (Commander and N1MM), plus I'm not able to create any virtual ports.

Anyone else have issues with upgrade?

Lew

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Verify that the services are started properly.   Do this:

Press WindowsKey-R to open the run dialog box:

Type in services.msc and click OK.

Scroll down and look for "Virtual Serial Port Kit service".

Make sure it is running.  If it is not, click the Start button at the top.   After that, go into SmartCAT, remove all ports and restart it.   See if that helps.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    SmartCAT assigns port 6 for third party programs, however Commander and N1MM report Invalid  port number.

Lew
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you open the device manager and look at the Ports section, what do you see?   What does SmartCAT list for your primary port and additional ports?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Comm port 1 (hardware type)
    FlexControl USB Control Knob (COM3)
    USB Serial Port (COM4) used for USB WinKeyer
    USB Serial Port (COM5) I don't know what it's used for, can't recall anything

SmartCat primary port is COM6

NO ADDITIONAL PORTS, however COM6 is paired with COM16, both listed as connected to "UNKNOWN"

THIS WAS WORKING UNTIL I DID THE UPGRADE

Lew
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you have existing ports occupying COM4 and 5, then SmartCAT will start at the next available port, which in your case is COM6.   It will then create a sister port COM16.   Please add an additional PTT Port and check the DTR/RTS boxes.  It should create a COM7/COM17 pair for PTT. 

In N1MM, setup COM4 as your WinKey, COM6 as your CAT port, and COM7 as your PTT port if you want a hardware based PTT.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Stand corrected on port 6, I had assigned it to Secondary CAT Serial Port in Commander
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you need additional ports for commander at the same time, then add a COM8 as a "Dedicated" port, which will create a new CAT port plus COM18.  Or if you do not want a PTT port, you can make COM7/17 CAT only, by setting it as "dedicated".
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Hmm, I did NOT uninstall SmartCAT before doing the SmartSDR upgrade...because I thought the instructions said no uninstall was required if the SmartSDR version being upgraded was above a certain level.  Maybe I misread that.  However, SmartSDRcat seems just fine here. 

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I had early version installed. I sure have gotten hooked on rig control and log freq/mode input from the rig. SEEMS like the OLD days of paper logs without it! :)

Lew
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The new version of SmartCAT incorporates a separate service for driver installation and port management.   This decouples the OS specific part of making com ports with the code behind SmartCAT and the radio.   Moving forward, this makes updates much less impactful.   But with this version,  it is described in the upgrade document that you must uninstall and reboot the old version of SmartCAT before installing this new version. 

"If you have SmartSDR CAT v1.2.10 or earlier installed on your PC, make sure to uninstall SmartSDR CAT and reboot your PC before installing SmartSDR v1.2.17. "
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Followed instructions for installing from later version of software,. i.e. removed flex drivers, then reinstalled update, that seems to have corrected the problem.

Lew
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Great! Glad that helped.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.