Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX Spectrum/Waterfall

Conny
Conny Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
When you enable "Show TX in Waterfall" what are you actually seeing? 

When I transmit CW @ 33W into a dummy load I see this. It does not disappears at lower or higher power, its just peaks at 33W.

Is this what is transmitted out thru the antenna connector, i.e, including the PA, or is this what the DSP "think" it would be?

Have this issues on 14MHz and higher frequencies. 

I also constantly (since I got the radio) getting reports that my SSB modulation sounds distorted, like "un-linear" and wide.

Anyone "see" something similar?

Is it normal? 

Comments

• Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Conny -

I would adjust the RX Gain. I get something similar when at 24 DB.  If you change the RX gain level, you will see it change dramatically.  

I would also suggest you take a look at Ken, NM9P's videos on how to adjust the audio.  They made a big difference for me and how I adjusted the radio and how I sound.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/nm9p-videos-on-adjusting-the-flex-6000-series-transmit-audio

Best of luck with the radio.  Once you dial it in, the Flex's are awesome.

73 de Tom, N9GUN

• Conny
    Conny Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Can I have a different gain setting when I transmit so I actually can see something that represent my transmission when I use the default RX RF gain?
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Conny -

That I am not sure on....Maybe others know more.   I would also recommend that you review and follow the process on setting the RX Gain preamps per band.  The defaults might not be correct for your situation.  In other words, more gain might not be better!  It turns out I have different settings on each band after following the Flex process.

See below.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204923669-How-to-determine-the-amount-of-RF-Preamp-...

Tom

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are transmitting and if you are running a digital mode.  It would seem that you could be over drive via the DAX.  The image is a sampling of the transmitted signal on the spectrum.  After all the RX is a spectrum analyzer. One of the nice things about the Flex 6000/SmartSDR.   
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That is normal, you don't have a problem. It is best not to use the panadapter to determine if your TX is clean or muddy.
    The reason is, when you transmit several things are mixed into the signal we see on the panadapter. Such as internal noise, and some of the signal that is transmitted is getting back into the radio and this makes the signal on the panadapter look poor, how ever it is important to know what you see is not all going out over the air. This is by design.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Now as for the SSB sounding distorted?
    It should be understood that each slider on the EQ works like a gain control. This gain is added to the mic gain under the covers. And the added gain is not shown on in the mic meter.

There are some freq that effect this a lot. The 2K. 4K 8K. They will cause the audio to sound distorted if they are set much above +3. Setting them above +3 is usually to high.
    For best sound, set the EQ sliders below 0 or at 0. Also adding to much low end will cause distortion as well.
    On the Flex EQ, we want to take away, not add. So if you want more mids and highs, lower the 63 and so on to let the high freq come out more, that is better then adding to the highs.
  • Conny
    Conny Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This was a CW (constant wave) transmission. i.e. just a carrier at the frequency and power setting.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    After upgrade and Master Reset, I lost TX in Panafall. What do I enable "TX in Panafall " ?
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    After upgrade and Master Reset, I lost TX in Panafall.
    Where do I enable "TX in Panafall " ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Under set up,,TX tab, at the bottom of that panel is  show TX in Waterfall

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.