Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX Profile will not tune via ATU

K7FRY
K7FRY Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
While trying different TX profiles I noticed when the last profile was selected "ProSet HC6 Default" I could not get a success on the ATU. When selecting any other profile was I able to get a successful tune.

Don't know if this is an issue or just me.

K7FRY
Steve

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Is this still a problem?  No one else commented that they were having issues like this.
  • K7FRY
    K7FRY Member
    edited September 2014
    Yes it is still happening. I can reproduce it every time. Not a big deal for me as I dont use profiles much.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm not sure I understand his question. Is the issue that when changing TX Profiles the ATU goes into "untuned mode" and must be retuned? (A known situation, I believe.) Or that selecting a particular profile "breaks" the ATU so that it doesn't work at all until a different profile is selected?
  • K7FRY
    K7FRY Member
    edited September 2014
    The latter. When I select the last profile it breaks the ATU. When the last profile is selected a tune fails. I then select another profile and I get a tune success in the same frequency.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Is it always the same profile that the ATU fails on?
  • K7FRY
    K7FRY Member
    edited September 2014

Yes, always the same profile. Again these are the profiles that were in the new software. I did not create any new ones or edit them, being that I really don't use them. Just wanted to let you know what I found. I made a video to better explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxtpFnYvNk

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    I just tried this, I have not got that problem on my 6300
    cheers
    Paul
    GI4FZD
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm new to SmartSDR (two weeks), but I tried setting a narrow Tx profile (1300 Hz - 1500 Hz) and the ATU would try but usually fail. I switched to a wider profile and the ATU succeeded. I haven't eliminated all the variables, but it seems the Tx profile width is causing the problem.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Further testing. I didn't even mess with profiles, just changed the TX filter Low Cut and High Cut. With 1300/1500, no ATU success. With 100/2800, the ATU tuned. This is with an antenna that has a pretty good SWR (<2.0:1) on the band tested.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The ATU Tune function will tune at zero beat frequency on SSB, and at the CW offset frequency on CW.  If your Low/High cut is outside of the CW frequency then the transmitter doesn't have any "audio" power to tune at the frequency.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hi Ken, this is clear, but I think this is not normal/usual for Ham's, in case you press Tune, means you request tune procedure what is independent from you current state, just compare with Non-SDR TRCVR, and I think this is logical and normal
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Ken,

I sort of thought that that was what was happening. Thanks for the confirmation that there wasn't a problem with my radio.

I agree with Sergey that this is not expected operation. The reason I tried setting the narrow Tx filtering is so that I can see where I will be transmitting so I can move around the pileup and find a clear spot to call when the other station is working split.

I think the solution would be for the radio to go to CW mode to do the tuning then switch back to the current mode.The fact that the radio is tuned a kHz or two away from the desired frequency shouldn't be a problem with normal antennas.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.