Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX Monitor Function not saved - 6600M

(Ver 2.1.32) I find that I'm unable to save the TX Monitor setting.  I enable it, then save it & all seems well until I power cycle the radio.  Is this a known issue? I searched but didn't find it. Thanks.

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I believe the TX monitor slider is working as planed.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    "I enable it, then save it "

How are you saving it?
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited July 2018
    I enable it, then open the main menu, select Profiles and save both the Mic & TX profiles.
    Then power-cycle the radio and find that it was not saved.  Apparently I'm doing something wrong??
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What happens if you manually select load up that mic profile, it the monitor on or off?
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited July 2018
    If I manually load up the profile it shows to be there, but it won't survive a reboot. All else does.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Larry, are you saying if you save the MON to be selected on, every time you restart the radio It starts selected?
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    and for what it's worth, I also tried creating another Mic profile, giving it a different name & tried saving the MON button to it.  Once again, no joy.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I use the monitor when operating digital modes, i have it turned on and saved in my digital global profile. If I am in my digital global profile when i shut the radio down it will start up next time in the digital profile with mon turned on. Its been a while since I set it up so  i just tested it and it is the global profile that will store mon on or off setting..
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    According to the manual page 55 its the mic profile that saves it but I think you can set a mic profile to be related to a global profile so maybe thats how it appears global. But maybe everytime you save a mic profile if its related to the global profile maybe it has to be separated from the global profile and the reattatched for the global profile to see the latest change in the mic profile. Just guessing.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That was my understanding also but I did a test by turning monitor on and creating a new global profile without first saving the mic profile and the monitor is on every time I bring up that global profile. but it also seems to create a mic profile with the same name, so I guess the answer to bills question is save the global profile after turning monitor on and he should be good to go.
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Larry. I'll give that a try, as I'm otherwise somewhat perplexed. Of course I've only had the radio a bit over 24 hours so we're still on the steep side of the learning curve, hi hi.  The odd thing is I can enable the TX monitor function & save it to my active mic profile & note in the Profile Manager that upon bootup the correct profiles are in fact being loaded, but if I press the TX Mic/Pwr/Speed button that it comes up as [DIS]abled every time, though then I can [Load] that same Mic profile and then suddenly it's enabled. Looks like kind of a small bug & surprised no one else has reported it.  I'll report back as to how your suggested fix works.  73
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    We will have to wait to hear from Flex on this, I don't think it is a bug. It has worked like this for a long time I believe.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mic and TX profiles can be attached (saved) to global profiles so make your mic profile change (mon on) then re save the global, this always works for me.
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    If not a bug, then it's an undocumented feature...  Seems if you create a new Global Profile that new profiles of the same name are also created in your TX profile and Mic profile groups, maybe implying those are the ones it's expecting you to use.   Anyhow, with Larry's help I now have the [MON] function working correctly.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

According to the manual section on profiles ANYTIME you change an existing setting in a Mic or Tx profile and resave that profile under the same name as before you made the changes then in order for a Global Profile to honor the new save changes in the Mic or Tx profile with the same name as the one it is assigned you MUST once again resave the Global Profile once you have changed and save the Mic or Tx profile with the same name the global profile has assigned.

Once this is done the next time the Global Profile is loaded or used you will see the new changes that you have made on the unit.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This is my least favorite feature on Global profiles. I wish there was an option not to create Mic and TX profiles with the global name when this happens.  I would prefer to update my TX and Mic profiles on my own.

This is a much bigger problem on the M radios as its easy to accidentally bump a knob and get a * profile which gets saved as new by mistake.

That said, I love global profiles and my favorite thing about the Flex software.  Just think they could be improved !
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    Help me understand something.  Which profile(s) get loaded at boot time?? 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Last know state (not profile) gets loaded.  All the profiles are on the radio to select, however what comes up is last known setup. So whatever settings you had when you shut it down is what you should see.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

If you do not want to operate as you did with the settings from when you last shut it down you need to touch Menu and touch Profiles and choose the Global profile which contains the Mic and Transmit profiles you wish to have loaded and then press Load.

Remember if you create a Transmit profile in SSB on say 20m and set the power to 20watts, that is the ONLY band the 20 watts is set on. So for a transmit profile you need to sequence through every band on the active slice and set the power to 20 watts if you want the Transmit profile to use 20 watts on every band, then save it then resave the Global profiles which use that Transmit profile.

I guess you could also set a Maximum Power setting to do the same but looking at the manual it is not saved as perisistence or in any profiles so it would be easy to forget that I did that!

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Rich. That makes sense.  So now what doesn't make sense is that I am still chasing my original issue with the TX MONitor function not surviving a power cycle. I thought I had it working, but apparently it's not. Try as I have, save as I have, reconfigure & re-save as I have, TX MON status (if Enabled) always comes up disabled after a power cycle. 

Also TX MON does not work if VOX is enabled. TX MON only works with PTT
    6600M,  ver 2.1.33
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My guess, just a guess really. Possibly, TX Mon settings default to off after every power cycle/SmartSDR restart, intentionally. I'd be embarrassed if my first SSB transmission of each day was a loud screech of mic feedback, I sometimes have my speaker volume cranked up from the previous days DX hunting. For me at least it works like I'd like it to. YMMV image

#Flexradio

73, Jay / NO5J

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Jay.  Just the opposite here.  XYL recovering from knee surgery, trying to rest so I endeavor to keep the QTH as quiet as possible. Always use the cans.  Another issue (related) is TX MON does not work at all (period) whenever the VOX is enabled.

TX MON works OK when manually enabled & used with PTT, but does not survive a power-cycle

TX MON does not work at all (ever) when VOX is enabled.

TX MON (enabled) does come on during VOX operation if PTT button is pressed while VOX is keyed, but only for the duration of the PTT button press.

6600M - 2.1.33 (and prior) 

73 - Bill
    W1BG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.