Tx Inhibit Question

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Using Flex 6700 and 1.10.16. This morning I was on the air on 80M AM using the flex to drive a Alpha 9500. At some point during my transmission the carrier dropped and the radio went to rx mode. The TUNE and MOX buttons were greyed out so I could not re initiate TX mode. After some investigation I found that the TX INHIBIT box was enabled in the Radio Setup/TX tab. I cleared it out and all was well. So the question is how did it get "enabled". I do not see anything in the SSDR user manual about conditions that would cause it to get "enabled". At first I thought it might be the "timeout" monitor but after some experimenting I see that a "timeout" does not cause it to be "enabled". Need some help explaining how this happened.

Thanks and 73,
Harry
W0LS 
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
Do you have other SmartSDR enabled applications connected to the radio?
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thanks Tim...I do use DUtil and the watchdog timer was set to 8 minutes. Guess I was making and old buzzard this morning!! I reset the timer to 1 minute and it does set TX INHIBIT to ENABLED.

Harry
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
I am glad you got to the bottom of it.  I have found that in most cases when the radio does something unexpected and a setting is changed, it is because something explicitly instructed the radio do that action.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
Yep...I love the ability to run a variety of 3rd party programs, and celebrate the growing popularity of the API and programs that are beginning to make use of it.

But situations like this point to the ONE drawback to having multiple programs running things, rather than having everything wrapped up in a single wrapper in SSDR.

On the other hand, it would be unrealistic to expect that FRS should make SSDR a "do-all and end-all" one stop shopping program that delivers everything any amateur could possibly want...

More reasonable will be continued gentle instruction like yours above reminding us to check our 3rd party utilities to see which one is causing unexpected things to happen.

Thanks for your patience and instruction as we all learn the new paradigm!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1824 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
Hi Ken,
I used to work on the server software for a client / server system.  The clients (various GUI applications) would occasionally have problems and often suggest that the server was at fault.    It was usually a client side issue but took a lot of time to troubleshoot and prove.   (request format was wrong, wrong command sent, user error, etc)

We solved it by adding a "debug" mode that would log every request and reply to a text based log file.  The transactions were both long and short so rather than record everything we recorded the first 100 bytes of each to the log file with a time stamp and some other identifying data.   This was enough data to troubleshoot 99% of the problems.  The file writes were circular so after the log file reached a certain size the writes would start back from the top.  

The client side programmers added a button for  "debug mode" to their applications which sent a command to turn the debug feature on or off.  They also displayed a warning  that the program would run slower when in debug mode.  This was a good tool for the client side programmer and our number of server complaints dropped also.    

It probably took us a few weeks to add the debug / logging feature but saved a lot more time in the long run.  

Perhaps this is something FRS might consider.  If users could enable debug and also look at the log file they might even solve some of the problems themselves. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
Win10

Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 610 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Harry, you didn't do an old buzzard? Not you....