Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tx designation not persisted/restored when changing bands

Tim Blank
Tim Blank Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Let's say I have two slices defined on 40m, slice-B marked as TX. Now I change bands to 80m and then come to 40m, Smartsdr remembers I had 2 slices on 40m and even there frequencies; however, now slice-A becomes TX? It should have persisted the TX assignment of slice-B so that when I returned to 40m slice-B would be my TX slice. Regards, Tim (N0TB)

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree - I have the same problem. Plus, I don't understand why, sometimes. a "B" slice is referenced on another band from the new band I've switched to, and sometimes it's not. What is the logic there? When I return to a band, I expect it to be as I left it.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes, I know one ham who got called out by the VP8 DXpedition, because of this. Slice A will end up being your transmit frequency. Remember this when you're jumping from band to band and working split.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I am actively investigating this behavior. I suspect we are not handling a particular sequence of events properly.
  • Tim Blank
    Tim Blank Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Note: I also see this same behavior when simply powering off the powering on the radio.

Tim (N0TB)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    There appears to be logic defect in how the transmitter is assigned to a slice.  I have written this up as defect #3018
  • Tim Blank
    Tim Blank Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What is the status of defect 3018?
  • Tim Blank
    Tim Blank Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Any update on this defect (3018)? 
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Will this be fixed in next update?
  • danparsons
    danparsons Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Holy ****, it’s been two years and still not fixed???? O_O
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Isn't this the same problem reported a year ago? The response at the time was that this was being done on purpose:

On purpose.  Change bands removes the "split" transmitter designation off of B and back to A. This is the default behavior of PowerSDR too.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/split-vfo-not-holding-settings

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Actually it is fully configurable (by the user) in PSDR settings as to which way you want it to work.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ahhh... so thats why i have 6 dual slice r1t2 and 6 single slice r1t1 global profiles! 1 for each band ... I thought I didnt understand how it worked when it was not described as how it does work but isnt meant to work that way! You cant play the game if you dont know the rules or the rules are not correct and your following them. I already put a work around in place so hopefully it wont change anytime soon ... i dont think i have to worry about that though ... now if i could only reach that **** hdmi cable to plug it in again now that the radios on ...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    Turning off an NB will not make matters worse, as you should immediately know there is an issue and the solution is a few mouse clicks away rather than not being able to figure out why the radio sounds "funny" when changed to a band that hasn't been accessed in a month or so and the NB is automatically enabled.

I can understand your desire for a change but this is the endless loop that can occur., You want the feature behavior changed because it is not to your liking and we do so.  Then half the user base complains that it was changed and they want it changed back.  As the developer, we can't win for losing. 

When we make these operating ergonomic decisions, we consult with our alpha team and in some cases, there is a definite consensus and other times it is split 50/50 and we have to make the call.  We make the decision based on what we call the 80/20 rule and the support ramifications are factored into that decision as well.  We tend to err on the side of not leaving the radio is a state that could possibly make matters worse or confusing.  Sometimes the chips will fall your way and other times they don't.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Tim,

Your quandry can easily be overcome with one or two simple behavioral option within the setup menu.

That way the customer has the freedom of choice, and you don't need to worry about being right or wrong. "Different strokes for different folks" and also not being overtly restrictive upon user experience and preferences. Most hams do not like being mothered.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    We'll take it under consideration

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.