Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two pushes of the power button to shut down 6700 w/SSDR v1.0.0?

W1RE
W1RE Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have noticed that it now takes two pushes the power button to shut down my 6700 with SSDR v1.0.0. The first push causes the display go blank but the LED stay on solid blue. The second push make the button go solid yellow and I believe the rig is off. This seems different than in earlier preview version of SSDR and I am not sure if this is by design or if it's a bug. I can't find any reason for the in-between state (no display - solid blue LED). Anyone else experiencing this or know why it's working this way? - Bob, W1RE

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This happens to me almost every time as well.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yup... same here.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I would if it wasn't likely a real issue. I'm betting the first power down request attempts a graceful shutdown, which hangs or takes an extraordinary amount of time. Then when we don't want to wait any longer, pressing it again forces it to shut off. Over time, this could expose us to a corruption risk maybe. I'd want feedback from FRS on this. Very similar to just powering off your PC instead of letting it shutdown.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have had this only a couple of times in over two months on my 6500. Is this a 6700 specific issue?
  • Paul RN3A
    Paul RN3A Member
    edited October 2013
    Same here. (6700) However, I have noticed a pattern here. If I follow this procedure: - Power on to my shack, including all PS. - Radio on - PC Boot (win7), SSCAT starts. - DDUtil start - SSDR start All appears to be normal (with the exception of SSCAT glitches). The backwards procedure is opposite: - SSDR quit. - DDUtil quit -Radio off (button pressed just once) - Everything else off This works fine. However, If I attempt to shut down radio if SSDR is running, or before DDUtil shut down, or after complete shut down of the PC, radio will not shut down normally - I need to press the Power button twice. I don't know if this is something major, since next time you start the radio - it comes up with no apparent issues.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That must be why I seldom have any issues.... I always shut down in this order... SSDR DDUtil SSDR CAT Then the 6500 last. I seem to have no issues when I do it this way. I don't usually shut down the computer, since I use it for other purposes as well as the Flex-6500. When I boot up, it is in this order: Computer first Flex-6500 SSDR SSDR CAT DDUtil ACLog 4.2 I always wait until each module is up and running before activating the next one. I seem to have no issues when I do it in this order. If I shut down SSDR CAT before DDUtil, then I get errors from DDUtil. If I boot up DDUTil before I boot up SSDR CAT, then I get weird errors. I guess boot/shut down order makes a difference.
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    Ken, I tried the order you suggested and still have the problem. I believe this is a real bug that Flex should address. Tim, can you get this added to reported bug list so it can be addressed in a future release? - Bob, W1RE
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I tested mine today. Sometimes it take longer than other times, but it always turns off after one press. A shutting down message in the window would be appropriate. A progress bar would be perfect (but maybe not practical).
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    Robert, I believe you are correct sir, it does eventually shutdown. I timed it with a stopwatch sand it only took 1 minute 43 seconds from the time I hit the power off button until it shut down to the amber LED. That seems a bit unreasonable. Obviously I wasn't being patient enough the first few times I tried this. I am positive it was faster in the previous releases I tested with. As a comparison I timed the boot up and it's only 36.7 seconds.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    We are used to our computer taking time to boot and shut down, but we don't expect our radios to take time to boot up or shut down. The FlexRadio 6000 is both. I leave my computer running all of the time. With Windows 8 and Solid-State Drive it does not take long to boot, but I have been conditioned to leave it on because I expect computers to take a long time to boot. I wonder if leaving the radio on would significantly shorten its life? I remember some of the first times I turned off my 6700 version 0.15.13 that I pressed the button twice, but other times (0.15.13 and 0.16.4) that it would turn off faster. There is clearly something going on that could be a bug or the OS just needs more time to shut down. I think the solution is some kind of indication to the status as the system is shutting down.
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes it would be nice to have an indication it was still working on shutting down, but one minute 43 seconds is way too long plus typically shutdown is faster than start up. So I think this is really a bug.
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited October 2013
    Robert Do you have the GPS unit? If NOT go to the Radio Setup - GPS and do the uninstall. This will get rid of the amber light, (I do not have the GPS but the unit had the amber light indicating power still on for the GPS unit) Have problem with shutdown once and awhile also, but after reading some of the comments I will start to time the ones that do not shut down right away. PS if you get rid of the amber light you will see the light go green for a few seconds the go out, once you push the power button the it will go green and when the unit powers off the light goes out no indication of power on the system once again.
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    My radio does have the GPSDO option.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    This is also happening here. First press did nothing. Second press does a quick shut down. Actually, The first press will shut it down but it takes a few minutes and then its in the same state as if you pressed it twice. Both versions result in the GPSDO pulsing noise in the speakers again. Greg
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This radio (6700) acts as Greg describes but I dont get the GPSDO speaker pulsing after shutdown as in the earlier pre-release software versions. The radio will shut down after the first power button press but I had time to find this thread and reply to it before it did.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have similar behavior on shutdown. 6500 GPSDO still pulses about half of the time.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi All, just my 5 cents - depends on the running SW combinations (i have not yet noted all combinations) and status of the GPSDO: 1. press power button once - radio will switch off within the 5sec-60sec 2. press power button twice - switching off immediately
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I notice the first time I shut down the radio after turning on the power supply it shuts down with one button push and shows "SHUTDOWN" in the display. If I leave the power supply on then the next time I turn the radio off the first button push the display goes blank but the green light stays on and I push the button again. If I turn off the power supply to the radio then turn the power back on then the first time shutdown will be with one push of the button. It appears to be related to shutting off the external power.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This issue is slated to be addressed in SmartSDR v1.1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.