Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two Meter Transverter with FLEX-6500 Questions

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Good day, fellow hams! With respect to this thread's title of "Two Meter Transverter with FLEX-6500 Questions," I have searched for, found and read quite a few posts here about two meter transverters and the FLEX-6500. Quite a bit of good information has been shared.

The transverters that I am looking at are:

-  UT5JCW Assembled Transverter with Enclosure
- Down East Microwave Transverter with Enclosure
- Elecraft Transverter with Enclosure
- Kuhn Transverter with Enclosure

Prices range from about $125 up to $500 which is a pretty big spread. Now here is what I hope to do with the two meter transverter:

- Plug and Play (PnP) connectivity to the FLEX-6500, i.e. a tested and proven interface.
- Enable data transmissions on two meters via DAX on the FLEX-6500 and the appropriate terminal software.
- Operations will be on USAF MARS networked two meter repeaters in the Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia areas initially. Ultimately, operations will extend up to Maine as more Region 1, Region 2 and Region 3 repeaters are interconnected.
- USAF MARS frequencies are below the Amateur two meter band for receive and above the Amateur two meter band for transmit with a split of around 5 MHz.

QUESTIONS:
  1. The UT5JCW transverter is very low cost (about $125) compared to other transverters in the $400 to $500 range. Obviously, there must be some features in the more expensive transverters that are not offered in the UT5JCW transverter. Has anybody analyzed these transverters and tabulated the differences in the four transverters listed?
  2. Does anybody have any of these transverters operational on MARS frequencies outside of the Amateur bands? If you do, please indicate how far below and how far above your transverter can go outside of the Amateur two meter band.
  3. Does anybody have operational data modem software using the DAX capabilities of the FLEX-6500 and is successfully transmitting and receiving data transmissions? If you do, please reply with which mode(s) that you have successfully used for data transmissions. USAF MARS uses proprietary software with encryption that is easily passed via HF using the FLEX-6500. I want to expand this capability to two meters using the same software.
  4. Finally, does anybody have a block diagram of your setup and/or a set of instructions with FLEX-6500 settings to do the above that you could either post or eMail to me?
Thanks for your time in reading this post and know that I will greatly appreciate any help that you can offer regarding my four questions. Please know that I am disabled with semi-quad paralysis that prevents me from building kits. I also have cognitive issues due to a terminal illness that I have (MELAS) so I tend to get things mixed up a bit. That is why I am looking for a PnP solutions with written instructions to get everything to play nice together.

For the FlexRadio engineers that are reading this, the ideal solution would be a single part number that I could order from FlexRadio to accomplish the above. FlexRadio could handle this like the Linear Amplifier that was recently added to the product lineup. Having a FlexRadio approved system would be an ideal scenario for me.

73, Dave Hamm, K4EET

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Dave,

The DEMI transverters are basically plug and play as they design them specifically for Flex, and Flex also has SSDR support for them. However, any transverter will work because SmartSDR is very flexible in its support for them. 

I am not 100% sure about the Kuhne transverters because they all seem to be for 144-146MHz and not 144-148. Maybe you an ask them to do something custom. Maybe DEMI can also do something custom for your MARS needs. 

I and others use all kinds of data modes on the flex, including WinMOR. As long as the software has a sound card output it will work via DAX. 

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    David.... check the MARS frequencies against what the usable transverter band width...

example: the elecraft transverter when aligned as described in the manual the usable frequency range is 144 - 146 MHz and the power output (20 watts) will fall off sharply outside of that range.  So the alignment will be for the transmit side, receive is not an issue outside the ham bands.

So with that in mind whatever transverter you purchase be sure to have it aligned with the center frequency were you will be operating mainly otherwise you will get zero output. 

I am a MARS operator in Florida and I do have a local MARS repeater, however I am using my transverter for SAT and local repeater work mainly.  I modified a Kenwood TM-281 for my local repeater MARS work.. but I could re-align my Elecraft Transverter to operate in the frequency range needed.

Hope this helps

P.S. as far as digital modes with the 6500 and transverter it will work fine

David
  • Greg AB4GO
    Greg AB4GO Member
    edited May 2019
    I have a set of the UT5JCW transverters for 2m and 70cm.  I can verify that they have good sensitivity and rated RF power output.  I have not had time to use them on the air.  They are a good value.  I look forward to using them in AMSAT communications using our Quadrifilar Helical Antennas. 73, Greg AB4GO
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    FYI.. I did a quick test... I can verify the elecraft transverter will work when transmitting below the HAM frequencies... quite well actually

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have the 2m UT5JCW 2m kit. Works fine on 2m repeaters and even DSTAR with a ThumbDV.

This is the Ukrainian Transverter kits. Good YouTube on one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8JQ0SIUlI8&t=132s

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    David.. I truly wish you were closer to me... Region 4 MARS here.. do you have someone that can assist you?  As long as you are not in any hurry I would be happy to build the XV144 Elecraft Kit for you if that is a direction you would like to persue.  With my current work schedule it would take me close to a month to complete it with alignment and testing.

My e-mail is good on QRZ.. call sign KK4QOE

• David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Greg, I'd love to know more about how you will set up the two transverters for sat work. I assume you'll run both concurrently with one 2m waterfall and one 70cm waterfall?  David A., KK6DA, LA
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Take a look at this artical, very good info on using the Flex with transverters for a full duplex SAT setup...  

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206972363-A-Full-Duplex-VHF-UHF-Satellite-System-us...

Same principal for the Flex Signature radio's...  

I've set my up a little different.. just 2 switches (RX and TX) instead of 3, key is setup as a profile to key 70cm or 2 meters and using SatPC32..

Anyway I know you asked Greg...

73's

David
  • Greg AB4GO
    Greg AB4GO Member
    edited May 2019

I want to operate my transverters this coming Easter weekend.  On my Flex 6500, my intention will be to open two slices; one for 2 m transmit using ant 1 port, one for 70 cm receive using ant 2 port, or vice versa.  The Flex 6500 slices will be tuned for 10 meters.  Separate Quadrifilar Helical Antennas will be used for 2 m and 70 cm.  I will try for FO-29 and SO-50.  I will use HRD to correct for Doppler frequency shift. Greg, AB4GO

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Take a look at the XW-2(A,B,C,D,F) SATS they are very easy to work as well
    Good luck

David
    KK4QOE
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I was going to order the new DEMI 2MLDPA but for some reason it will only work with the 6700 and not my 6500....
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ryan, that is a 2m 75 watt power AMPLNA module... a transverter for the 6500 would be the L144-28 or the L144-28CK for the 25 watt model or you could go with the L144-28HP ...

But call them as I'm as sure they can help you with any of your questions and suggest a model that fits your needs..

No I am not a DEMI rep.. I have Elecraft Transverters

Good Luck
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    FYI, you might want to check your prices for Kuhne Transverters. They run well over $1,000.00. I own 6 and they are the Top Class in transverters. I will email you some information later today.
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ok David that makes sense now. Thank you for the clarification ! Ryan
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Dave, have also look to one of best still on market: http://www.ha1ya.hu/transverters.htm

I am not a 2m operator but a good friend of mine is over 40 years a "2m operator only" , running one of the best 2m station ( 8x 15 ele, 150 feet tower, top of a hill) in Germany (maybe in EU)

He using http://www.ha1ya.hu/htmkepek/me2t_protransverterspec.htm and use 14 MhZ 
    Maybe it help

73 Chris
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    To everyone, I truly appreciate all of the comments and equipment information. I have a lot to digest now which will take me some time. My intentions of this thread have been met. Provide a one-stop shop for everything that I was asking about. And all of you have met that need with flying colors. Thanks again. Now I am off to start digesting the presented information. If I have any further questions, I'll post them in this thread. And if anybody else has something to share in this thread, by all means please do. 73, Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.