Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two Cat Ports---- How is this done?

Options
Larry Williamson
Larry Williamson Member ✭✭

Ok, will try to explain this the best I can!  Rig is a 5000a.  I would like to be able to use both receiver's at the same time (dual receive) like the following.  Main receiver set to 40 meters----listening to whatever

2nd receiver set to 40 meter cw mode using CW skimmer (this works ok but I cant get the Cat the follow in Skimmer.

I guess another way to say this is--- can you set up each receiver independently (each using there own cat port) OR---- one receiver set to 40 cw using Skimmer the other set to 20 cw also using CW Skimmer.

I down loaded DDUtil because I think I need to use it---- just now sure how to set is up?

Thank You

Larry

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Larry, what you are trying to do is use the 5000 +RX2 as two independent radios.  This is not an easy thing to do with PowerSDR because there is only one CAT port (interface) for the entire radio and the primary and second receiver appear as VFO-A and VFO-B on the same radio; not two radios (both being VFO-A).  With DDUtil you can set up multiple CAT enabled programs to interface with the radio.  But for what you are trying to do, you need to force CWSkimmer into thinking it is controlling VFO-B and I do not think that is possible.

I know this is of little consolation, but what you are trying to do is incredibly easy to do with any FLEX-6000 radio because the CAT interface was designed to interface with the radio in such a way that each slice receiver is treated as an independent radio.  On my 6700, I have run 4 instances of CW Skimmer on 80, 40, 20 and 15m simultaneously and all track perfectly using the SDR-Bridge interface.  I can mouse click on either the CW Skimmer waterfall or the SmartSDR panafall display and the radio tunes properly and CW Skimmer tracks properly.  SDR-Bridge also has a feature to change the transmitter to the slice that I most recently tuned, making this setup essentially a point, click and work on 4 bands without changing anything on the radio (assuming my ATU already has a memory defined for the transmit frequency).
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thanks for the information Tim! Yes I will upgrade in the near future as it appears that interfacing different software is much simpler using SmartSDR.

Will wait a while as I think a lot of folks are curious as to what will happed to the older 6300,6500 and 6700 radios.

Best Regards,

Larry 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nothing is going to happen to the 6300, 6500, 6700 except they will continue to receive SmartSDR software updates and continue to get better,

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.