Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

tweaking latency in digital modes ?

Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm not sure if it is really a SmartSDR issue or not,  but using SmartSDR I am having a timing issue using VARA with Winlink Express.  Using an Icom I do not get this issue.  Winmor works fine with same software but not VARA and SSDR.  It looks extremely close , gaining a few milliseconds could make the difference.  Any suggestions for doing this ?  Seems I am switching to transmit a few milliseconds too early and the gateway and I are not formally connecting.  The mode requires 2.4Khz filter width. I have been using the standard 2.7 under Digu... I am not sure if a custom 2.4 filter would make any difference.  

ANdy K3UK

Answers

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    How about some TX Delay, to slow it down just enough. It's in the settings psnel
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, will try.  Does the "TX INHIBIT" enable option need to be enabled for TX to start ?
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No. Tx inhibit = rx only
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You can try reducing the RX filter latency. In SSDR go to Settings->Radio Setup->Filters and select Low Latency for the mode in question. I'm a little confused - you said you were using a 2.7 kHz filter under DIGU, but that is not one of the selections I have under DIGU, only on SSB.
    Doug K4DSP

• tpetruzzellis
    tpetruzzellis Member ✭✭
    Andy-I am just trying to setup Winlink with VARA HF Modem on my Flex 6400 - did you ever get your setup to work correctly? I can not seem to establish a link connection - Tom WA2ANG
  • Andrew O'Brien

Sadly , no . I sold the Flex and got a 7300 . Connected first try to a server I had been trying for weeks to connect to with the 7300. Same when I ran a server , as soon as I tried the Icom users were able to connect to me . I later sold the 7300 and moved up to a 7610 . The 7610 had no issues and this week I got a Icom 705 and was able to connect . I imagine that if ai had worked at it long enough In would have solved the presumed latency issue by adjusting the settings . I tried but lost patience .

Andy K3UK

This discussion has been closed.