Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tutorial Video: Using Full Duplex Mode to Monitor Transmit Audio During Adjustment

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This is my first Audio/Visual Tutorial on the Flex-6000 Series
I hope it is helpful.
If you like it, I will make more on other subjects.

https://youtu.be/CzT1qDKKySk

Ken - NM9P

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Great video tutorial, Ken, congrats! I've tried it and it works just fine.
    I use a 50 Ohm dummy load on my XVTR output.
    Until now I used my WinRadio G305 to monitor my signal. This also works, but
    your solution is much better, of course.
    Alex DH2ID
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Great Video... DO MORE
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Well done Mr Ken!!!  Guess I don't need my TS-50 any more :) 
    Thanks
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    How do get to transverter output?
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ken,

Great tutorial, great radio voice, make more!!!

Ed, K0KC
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

Very useful and helpful, thank you.

Best wishes from the Isle of Wight

G4BIM

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Great video and presentation Ken!!!  But the described delay/latency makes the technique somewhat less valuable and the full duplex feature less necessary.  In other words, if you need to record your voice, it's almost as easy to just use a second rig to do so.  I was hoping it would, but it didn't, make me want to run out and buy a 6700.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ken, excellent video!!!!!!  You have a knack for making videos if this is your first one.

Thanks!
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken, very very nice. I've adjusted my audio and what a difference. We need more videos like this.
    Thanks.
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Ken!  Great job!

Cal/N3CAL
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    On the top left of the slice flag, there are two selectors.  The first is BLUE and selects the input for the receiver.  The second is RED and selects the Transmit Output (ANT1, ANT2, XVTR) click on it and it will drop down a list to choose from.

I did it in the first part of the video, but if you watched on a small screen you might not have been able to see the mouse moving.  I need to find a setting that will circle the mouse when it is moving or something in order to make it easier.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually, having done it for a while myself, first using my 1500 and now with the 6500, you can train yourself to ignore the delay.  It takes a little time, but I have done it enough that it doesn't bother me any more.  It is kind of like learning to play the drums with one foot kicking the bass drum, the other on the high hat cymbals,  and the hands swinging the sticks! 

Even so.  It is actually better to record and listen to yourself because when you listen with headphones as you speak you don't really hear your true sound.  Your ears will pick up your voice directly through **** conduction in your head, and that colors what you think you hear.  This is why many people don't like to hear themselves on recordings.  They are accustomed to hearing their voice through their head and not their ears.  When they hear a recording they say "That isn't me!"  or "Do I really sound like that?" 

Recording yourself in a second receiver, or in this case, through your full duplex option on the 6000, will give you the clearest picture of your audio.  Then again, once you have done that a lot, you can train your head to evaluate the difference and it becomes less necessary to record your voice.

As always...Your mileage may vary.

Ken - NM9P
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What about the normal record and play back system?
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Will this also work in the AM mode?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Notice the sharp skirts on the transmitted signal and almost complete lack of the opposite sideband. Nice video Ken.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes it does.  actually it will work on any mode I have tried it, except FDV & DSTAR.  I haven't tried it with other digital modes.  It works with CW, but you cant send while you listen to it, the delay messes with your timing.  You can send using CWX and listen to your tone.  The rig has a nice note.  Not "clicky" like some other rigs.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Of course, this is transmitting through the Transverter port.  The 100 Watt amp WILL add a LITTLE IMD, but hopefully not much!
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Great video, Ken.  I've got to try that, even though I'm getting great reports with the settings I'm now using.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Very useful! Thank you for posting this.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Great video!

Keep them coming!

Thanks to the FM Simplex band plan on 6 Meters (50.02MHz, to name one) I can use the same technique to monitor my FM repeater transmission audio too!

I wish we had a lot more of these excellent Flex tutorials!

Vy 73,
    Roy AC2GS
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  When you are not on your own transmit frequency, you can use more power and separate antennas and listen full duplex, as long as you have enough isolation between the antennas.  You can even listen on 6 while transmitting on 20, as long as you have separate antennas.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Many thanks Ken, nice one.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It works well, too.  It is what I used before Full Duplex was released.  The disadvantage is that I can't listen while I talk.  Using FDX, I can also see what my signal sounds like when it is down in the noise, which often makes a great deal of difference.  A 40+ signal is almost always understandable, but an S6 in S6 noise is another thing.  Testing, or recording with Audacity and listening, under these circumstances can be very helpful in adjusting your rig for maximum intelligibility.   I will demonstrate this in another tutorial.  (I had one 3/4 recorded and then the phone rang and spoiled it!) 

Ken - NM9P
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Very nice, Ken. I look forward to more, from you. Mike
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Very nice job Ken..  you should do this for a living :-)

Thanks for sharing

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have thought about it. Perhaps when I retire, I could hook up with Flex? . They might have released a 7000 by then!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken 
    I'd be real interested in seeing the Flex-7000 videos now if you have them ready, any chance you could do them before the 7000 series start's selling at Dayton? If you can't say because of an NDA, I understand, if so just say, "I don't know". Just between the two of us "I don't know" will translate to, "YES!", if you do know, then say "NO" and I'll know you really mean "maybe, if they let me"image

Irregardless, I promise not to understand the answer.

If you catch my drift ...

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I know NOTHING! I see NOTHING! I hear NOTHING! Perhaps Sergeant Schultz can answer your question....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken 
    Right I understand completely!
    I'm pretty sure your secrets still safe, just don't tell anyone I said that because I will of course deny all knowledge of any secrets as per the NDA agreement. Which also doesn't exist. Mums the word. Say no more! Know what I mean. nudge nudge, Say No More!!! 

73, Jay - NO5J 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.