Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tutorial Video: A Tour of Transmit Profiles on my 6500

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Here is a tour of several of my Transmit profiles, and why it is necessary to have several different ones, depending upon your purpose.  BONUS:  How to make a 6000 Series sound BAD!  It can be done!

It is a little long, about 22 minutes with a couple of "tongue-tangles."  
I hope you find it useful, and excuse a couple of "preachy" spots.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s7UbKiqxAA

Equipment:
Flex-6500
Heil PR22UT Mike
Behringer Q802USB Mixer (for distribution, not equalization)
Audio/Video Capture  - Open Broadcast Software (OBSProject.com)

Comments

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, Ken. I like it!  -Dave  W6OVP.
  • Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    That was great!  I can see that video becoming one of the standards people watch for learning to adjust their audio ;)
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Now how about a 5 minute "Executive Version" showing only how to set up a 6000 audio with its factory mike right out of the box. That would have helped me a WHOLE LOT when I first got mine.  TNX.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I experimented a little with Kens method. I set up FDX and separate TX and RX slices. 

I then recorded a sample with the TX A slice. then transmitted the A slice sample while recording it with the B RX slice. Comparing the 2 recordings I couldn't tell much difference, other than the volume level they played back at. Now I've got a better idea how close the two sound though.

Good video's Ken, keep doing them.

73, Jay - NO5J 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay, I tried that, too. So far, I haven't been able to confirm that using the internal recorder on slice B is actually recording what it is hearing, or if the transmit routine's recorder is taking over the recording routine. It does, however record the actual received audio when you port Slice B over to Audacity with DAX. I need to do more experimentation, specifically to see if other signals on the frequency are also recorded. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I plan on doing some more, detailing step-by-step procedures on setting up a new mike and adjusting the mike levels, EQ, processor, etc. but it will probably be next week. The last one took me about two hours to record and upload. (I had a couple of bad recordings due to noise in the studio/shack and phones ringing!)

As far as the stock mike...I will see what I can do. But it will never sound like a good studio mike.

Additional tutorials will not be as long as this last one. I tried to tackle too much in one recording. I should have separated the "how to make the Flex sound bad" section out into its own video.

Ken - NM9P
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think the proof they're 2 separate recordings was in the output levels.

It's that hard to tell the difference in them.image

Maybe create the RX recording first, then go back and use a different sentence to record a second TX recording  and compare those.

Like "this is slice B, transmitted from A" recorded on Slice B first, then "this is just Slice A" recorded on Slice A. 

My guess is the recordings are stored in memory per slice. I haven't tried to prove that, but it's how i'd expect it to be doing it.  

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But it will never sound like a good studio mike.

Of course not. But that's the way it comes to the new buyer. He needs to begin with positive experiences immediately even tho they may not approach perfection.

I was/am one of many who was greeted by bad on air reports until I got on air help and set up the furnished mike optimally. (I bought this 6000 from a buyer who gave up in frustration.) Then I added a new mike and it got even better.

-Dave W6OVP

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When I was playing with the internal recorder, I found that it was extremely close to the sound I was receiving when monitoring on my 1500. The advantage with using FDX is that I can listen to my signal as I make adjustments. And I can see the signal on my panadapter as I do it. With the internal recorder I must record and then listen later, and the audio is "blind." I can't see it as I hear it. But, either way works well. It is nice to have options now! Ken - NM9P
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Another excellent video!!! Keep them coming ken!!!
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes both videos very well done and informative.  Can you do one on global profiles, when you have time.  Thanks muchly

Cheers
    Wayne
    vk4acn
  • Bruce - NØJX
    Bruce - NØJX Member
    edited October 2015
    Fantastic video Ken!!!  I learned more off this video than in 6 months of fiddling with my 6300.  Your video inspired me to try further experimentation with my audio and how to avoid poor audio.  Bravo!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I will need to research global profiles a bit more before I tackle that one. I don't use them very much. I DO use Transmit Profiles quite a bit.
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    I hope Flex makes an agreement with Ken in order to produce a movie series "how to".
    Fantastic, chapeau Ken...
  • ON5AM
    ON5AM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good job, Ken.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken, thanks for your tutorial. What do you use to produce your Youtube videos?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use OBS - Open Broadcast Software, which is an open source program that allows two audio inputs and will do Window capture or whole monitor capture and save in FLV and MPG4 formats.  

It is going to be even easier to use now that v. 1.6.17 has DAX Mike output.  I won't need to use my USB mixer for the narration mike!

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to do any additional Tutorials.  I hope to get back to it soon.

Ken - NM9P
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Ken,
    I've had a couple groups that want me to put a presentation together and hadn't found quite what I wanted to use. Hope you'll find time to put more tutorials together.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rev Ken

That was a very nice video tutorial for the average Flex user regarding audio band width.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Ian

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great video Ken, I really like the idea of running the XVRT port at the lowest power to mimic a low signal. Great idea!!
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I got excited after seeing this video and used the technique of transmitting through the XVRT port on my 6500 in one slice and monitoring/recording in FDX on another slice tuned to same frequency.  I adjusted TX EQ to provide good tonal balance based on what I was hearing on playback.  I subsequently found that my actual signal being received by distant stations had a tonal balance skewed to the treble as compared to what I was hearing locally with this monitoring method.  I therefore must question whether you can reliably adjust your TX EQ with this technique.

Barry N1EU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well, keep in mind that you can EQ your RX, so can someone listening to you and you can modify the receive passband. I normally take out the bass when I hear someone abusing that lower frequencies. I would be surprise if someone using a flex with the same RX settings as yours doesn't get the same results. Let me know and we can test it one day on the air.

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For this to be a meaningful test, we need to be able to save the SSDR recording in a file.  Is there anyway to do that?  Or do we just use RX DAX and make a recording with a soundcard program like Audacity?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes to the DAX and Audacity.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My own tests, listening and recording with my 1500 on a dummy load, and comparing with recordings via the full duplex option, showed results that I would call "pretty darn close." Assuming that my full duplex receiver's filters and EQ are set the same as the outboard receiver. Other receivers may have a different response due to different filtering, EQ settings, or speakers. As always YMMV.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sal and I will run some tests and hopefully come up with some comparison recordings to help shed light on what I'm seeing with this method.

I would REALLY like this method to be reliable/dependable but it doesn't seem to be working for me so far.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a cool way of running my own test. I have a Kenwood TS2000 that I run remotely with RemoteRig. The TS2000 is located in my QTH in Madrid Spain. It is connected to a Hexbeam. I can actually hear myself, as I sound after crossing the atlantic. On different bands and with different conditions I can hear the effects of different settings.

In my case, using an electret capsule with a yamaha CM500 headset I like it better using EQ and no PROC. If I use PROC I have to turn off EQ.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What I like about Ken's videos®©™ is that he does not feel the need to be a comedian like others do, he does not use every single video effect available in his software like others do and really knows his stuff like others do not. Many videos, including many praised here, are just poor efforts which pale into comparison to Ken's productions®©™.

I assume that the day job helps in communicating such involved concepts.

I have downloaded the video to my Flex library and look forward to more.

Many thanks Ken.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Very useful indeed. Thank you Ken. David G4NRT
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    With the help of Sal 8P9EH, I just went through an exercise of comparing my locally created recordings (using Ken's FDX/XVTR technique) to recordings that Sal made of me over the air.  I'm happy to report that I stand corrected and there is fairly good correspondence between them.  I'm not sure why I previously had a mis-compare between my recordings and what people told me I sounded like but I plan on continuing to experiment!  Thanks to Sal for his patience and efforts in assisting me!

73, Barry N1EU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.