Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tutorial Video #3: Adjusting the 6000 Series and the Standard Mike, or any new mike.

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I just posted another Video Tutorial to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/LytzQGpE5ZM

This is probably not my best work, but I took the standard hand mike, beginning with all the setting flat and tuned it up for better sound.

I really need to spend some more time tweaking it, but I usually spend a couple of hours adjusting, recording, and re-tweaking a new mike in order to get it the way I want it.  Then I live with it for a while and make some additional changes until it is the best I can get it.  The Rag Chew Profile it is still a little "****" with too much in the 500-1200 range.  My hand mike seems to have a natural resonance there.

I present this as a concept tutorial just to let you see how some of the different EQ sliders affect the combined sound.  The rest of it is up to you.  

Equipment:
Flex-6500
FHM-1 Hand Mike
SmartSDR v.1.5.1

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    UPDATE:  I played some more after posting this video, and discovered that the hollow resonance required me to drop some more of the 250 & 500 Hz and add some at 125 and 63 to get the sound I was working toward.  Final EQ settings for my voice and preference on the Rag Chew settings on this mike are from left to right.....  -5, -6, -7, -4, -1, 7, 5, -10.  That is about as good as I can do without spending a lot more time on it.

Ken - NM9P
  • Kevin Mahoney
    Kevin Mahoney Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

In the words of my kids "this rocks". This is a great service to all of us

Kevin KD0ILM/XV2KM

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Ken

Just a great video. I watched the prior one last evening and then fired up my radio and took my first **** at repeating your technique.

I had my setting somewhat close, based on prior postings, but now that I could actually listen to it, it wasn't that good. Within minutes of hearing myself, I had it much, much better.

This is a great technique. As you say, listening to yourself, with the 1/2 second delay is somewhat of a learned technique. I recorded myself too, and yep, sounded like an idiot!  :)

Just a question, is the default power out the xvtr port about 30mwatts?  I don't have a dummy load, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Again, great tutorial.

Brent W8XG

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken. Watched the video and think it is an excellent first pass. The best part is in the middle when you actually get into setting it up. Later I'll do it again but in full hands on mode like a beginnner and follow it through step by step and see how it goes.

Guess my concern would be the very beginning part for the beginner, and getting him a decent sound as quickly as possible. He's still struggling a bit to just understand the thing and and fend off bad audio reports, which drives him to your video.

Since a headphone doesn't come in the box he would not be able to monitor himself. The only thing that would give him instant improvment would be to suggest a generic set of transmit settings as you have done here and show him how to implement them (as you have done here) and recommend he get a headphone for further customizing. Anything he could do here on his first pass would be a gross improvement over the software default setting.

Also, I've never used the 6M spigot and suspect very few users have, nor a transverter, so that's out of the mainstream for most, certainly for the beginner. Might want to change or clarify that part and go more generic. (Bottom of the pyramid.)

Also, I use a Heil HANDHELD model HMM and get rave reviews with it. Nothing wrong with that. (Also have a headset package but don't like them. Only use 'David Clarks' when flying airplanes.)

An Excellent start, Ken. I'd let it sit for awhile and watch for other suggestions before tweaking it. You're most of the way there IMHO.  (Simplify simplify simplify.)

73  Dave  W6OVP
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You are correct that a lot of hams have never used 6 meters. But on the 6000 series, or most modern rigs for that matter, it is no different from any other HF ham band, as long as you have a suitable antenna. On my previous videos I use a frequency on 80 meters in order to demonstrate signals in the noise. On his one I wanted a quieter frequency. Actually on the 6000 the actual frequency makes no difference, except the bleed from tx to RX is higher as the frequency goes up. (Or it could be because I have the preamp turned on.)
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    On his one I wanted a quieter frequency... it is no different from any other HF ham band, as long as you have a suitable antenna. (Or dummy load I presume, since very few users will have a 6M antenna.)

Good points, worth making...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oops. I wasn't clear. I meant it is no different as far as operating is concerned. But when using the full duplex testing method you certainly want to use the transverter output. If you want to put a small dummy load on the transverter output to terminate it that would be fine. At max output the transverter puts out just a little under 32 milliwatts. At a setting of 1, the power out is about .07 milliwatts.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    By the way, a six meter antenna is pretty simple. A dipole is about 54 inches on a leg. A simple full-wave loop uses exactly 20 feet of bare. Reduce by about 3% if using insulated wire.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you want to put a small dummy load on the transverter output to terminate it that would be fine

Oh, good. Very important clarification. TNX.

Been a ham for 61 yrs and never worked 6. Where I grew up (long before cable) 6M was a terror on TV sets so was never used. And nowdays I don't hear anyone on. Will add a dummy load.

• Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken, What Transverter are you using? Thanks 73 Tim KI6LSB
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am not using a transverter.
    I do have a ten-tec 2 meter transverter but don't have it hooked up yet.  it needs 5-10 watts drive and I want one that uses the low power transverter output.  But thaqt isn't in my budget yet.

I do get on 6 meters with the 6500 though since it is native to the 6000 series..

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    To clarify what some have been asking.
    When adjusting my transmitter audio using the Full Duplex Function I am not sending any signal out over the air.
    I use the transverter output simply to guarantee that there is no RF going anywhere.  It only puts out 32 milliwatts and that goes to a miniature 50 Ohm dummy load.

The small amount of leakage is picked up by the other antenna circuitry and receive slice B for monitoring.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    6 Meters is a fun band...when it is open...it is kind of a cross between 10 and 2 as far as propagation.  sometimes you only get line of sight, sometimes a variation of Propo, other times you get Sporadic e, or even F-layer skip.  Then there is meteor scatter and aurora propagation.  You never know what you are going to get.  but there are long periods of boredom.  The advantage of the 6500 is that I can keep one slice on 50.125 MHz to monitor for openings, as long as i am using my T-11 Log Periodic antenna.  Sensitivity isn't nearly as good when using my OCF Dipole.  Throw up a simple dipole or loop and give it a shot!  WIth cable and satellite TV, and the improved modern rigs, TVI isn't near the problem it once was on 6 meters.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    TNX. I'll give it a try.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Another great video Ken!  Your definitely a natural teacher.  They are not only educational but also entertaining.   

I would suggest maybe making one on receive audio.   I have been now for 2 weeks trying to figure out the best method to get good audio from various speakers, EQ, AGC, NB, NR, etc. etc.etc.   I get it now.. however for a while I was very frustrated.  You may want to shift focus there now.

Then do one on Digital modes - probably a 2 or 3 part series focusing on the various modes and the nuances needed in the radio and pc - I had to figure all this out over the past couple of weeks - and Im pretty experienced on the PC, Digital modes, etc.

Then do one on working Satellite. I have no experience here.  Would be nice to see one in action with a transverter,etc.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Mike
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Dave,  I know this is not specific to this thread... But I have also loved my hand mics vs head sets and other Mics.  Can you advise me whats needed to hook the HMM Mic up to the Flex 6300 (cables, etc)?

I see that you get good audio reports.   How does it compare to the stock Mic?

Thanks again,
    Mike
  • John Thompson
    John Thompson Member
    edited October 2015

Ken....in a word, Fantastic!  You videos have opened up whole new worlds in my enjoyment of Flex and the hobby.  Please keep it up.

Thanks...........John  kb9tpg

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike- The Heil HMM hand mike works great for me. Much better than the stock mike furnished. On air tests repeately confirm the difference and I'm happy.

I use a standard Heil adapter from the mike to the 6300. I think it's their adapter  AD-1-Y but you'll want to double check this. There are no markings on it but I think FLEX uses the Yaesu mike wiring scheme.

Good Luck!  Dave  W6OVP
  • Jim Best
    Jim Best Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thank you Ken, excellent video. I learn everyday from this forum.
    73 Jim
    WU7G
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken,

Great video. Any chance you can go over the proper setup for transmit and receive (slice A and B) to get full duplex working using the xvtr output into a dummy load.

I am new to the flex 6300 and I am not sure exactly how you have this setup and what transmit output power you are using, or how you use slice B for receive. Also you mention a dummy load hooked to the xvtr, I have an old 50 ohm 300 watt dummy load that I use for my old rig and I am assuming that would work fine, but I am unfamiliar with the xvtr operation. 

Thanks.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    They sell 1/2W 50 Ohm BNC Terminators (Dummy Load for Transverter Port) on Amazon and EBay for about $3.00 plus shipping.

While you likely could get away with transmitting 32 milliwatts (+10dBm) Unterminated. the E.E. in me abhors unterminated transmit ports as even the tiny amount of the stray RF from an unterminated port might just cause issues with other things.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll look them up, Howard.  I need to get a couple for other purposes.
    I am currently using a little 5 watt dummy load made for testing CB radios that I have had for about 40 years.  I need to use a BNC adapter on it, but it works OK.

I have been fun making these videos.  This last one was sort of "fly by the seat of my pants" - intentionally spontaneous because I wanted to demonstrate how to start from the ground up and EQ a new mike.  I probably should have taken another couple of minutes, because after posting I made a couple more changes and the hand mike sounds pretty good now.  It will never match my PR22 but I wouldn't be embarrassed to put it on the air!

I think the next one may be about adjusting RX DSP parameters & EQ.  
    That one will take some more work, because I will need to find on air signals to peak.

Ken - NM9P
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am currently using a little 5 watt dummy load made for testing CB radios that I have had for about 40 years.  I need to use a BNC adapter on it, but it works OK.

That's what I use also. But think mine is good up through 2M.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just ordered "QVS BNC Terminator" from Amazon.com. They were 2 for $4.99 with free shipping. I should have them in a few days. They will take up less space on the rear panel.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I cover most of that in my first tutorial on using the Full Duplex Option to monitor your transmit audio.  As of today, I only have three videos posted on YouTube.  it is the first of the three.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken

Thank you for a great set of tutorials.

A year ago I lost one of my vocal chords after having Thyroid cancer removed. I despaired of ever getting a radio that could help me sound 'reasonable'. I bought my 6300 in the hope that it would help and I had it setup reasonably well but your tutorial has made my voice sound superb!

Not only that but 3 times out of 4 today I was the first call answered in pileups so I am well pleased!

Now looking forward to CQ WW this weekend - can't be competitive but I can give a few points to other people.

Thank you for all you hard work and insight.

Tim
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim. Your comments mean a lot to me. I am glad that I was able to help improve your enjoyment of the hobby, and your new rig. Cheers! Ken - NM9P
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    How do we know how/where to find your 3 videos? Need an index or flag of some kind...

Also, a reference in the later ones to the prior ones. Unfortunately, I didn't know about your first one being a prerequisite until I had slogged through a later one without it. Better to follow the sequence.  -Dave

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I suggest that everyone just SUBSCRIBE on YouTube to the NM9P channel
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    HOWARD!  THANK YOU!!!  I had NO IDEA that you could "subscribe to a channel" on YouTube.  You've opened up a big window for me!
    Vy 73,
    Jim
    K0UNX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.