Tutorial on configuration FlDigi and Flex 6500

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi all
I have a very hard time configuring FlDigi to work with my Flex 6500. Using Win10, SmartSDR version 1.8.4, and (supposedly latest) FlDigi version 3.23.15-05. Any step by step setup tutorial available somewhere ? Thanks + 73 de Paul F6EXV
Photo of Paul F6EXV

Paul F6EXV

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 72 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Photo of Paul F6EXV

Paul F6EXV

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Larry. Thanks for reply. I still cannot figure out how to work split : how do I monitior the DX's frequency, and how do I monitor the pile up ?
How wide a slice can I monitor on FlDigi ? Can I monitor let's say 15 kc ? If so, how ?
Paul
(Edited)
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 954 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Photo of Paul F6EXV

Paul F6EXV

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Elmer
Thanks for the link, which I think you already sent to me a while ago. Several things
1/ This tutorial is fine but with old versions, 2/ When trying to setup the rig devices in FlDigi configuration, I have no "TX" file showing in the choice window, only "Dax reserved IQ RXn", and the Flex will no on transmit. I receive fine, but no transmit.
Where does my problem come from please ?

73 de Paul F6EXV
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 72 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Paul,

For split operation,  using the mouse pointer and mouse
wheel, select the TX frequency that you want and then click on the LCK button. That will lock the TX frequency irrespective of the RX frequency. Clicking LCK again will remove the selected TX frequency and revert to simplex mode.

Regarding your transmit problem, it sounds like you may not have the FLdigi RigCAT or the Audio configuration set up correctly. Here are a few suggestions. First, have you downloaded and copied the latest RigCAT Description file (SmartSDR_SliceA.xml) to your fldigi.files/rigs folder?  The file is selected in the RigCAT configuration panel and make sure that "CAT Command for PTT" is checked and that you initialize and save the settings.

Second, have you configured an unassigned SmartSDR CAT serial COM port and selected it in the FLdigi RigCAT configuration? Additionally, in the Flgidi Audio configuration, confirm that the Playback is set to: DAX Audio TX (Flex Radio System DAX audio). 

Third, double check to confirm that in the Flex DAX Control Panel that the TX Stream is enabled (click on TX), indicating "Streaming" and the gain is set initially to around the mid-point (50).  Finally, when preparing to run Fldigi change SmartSDR mode to DIGU or DIGL depending on band and select the desired bandwidth (3 khz is customary).

Hope this helps.

Larry KB1VFU
Photo of Paul F6EXV

Paul F6EXV

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Larry
Thanks for answer. Problem solved on the transmit issue.
Regarding the split, what I want to do is the exact opposite : lock my RX frequency (where the DX I am chasing is transmitting), and "navigate" through the pile up to either find a clear spot of find someone on whom to tail-end call.
I think I read somewhere that FlDigi is set in such a way that you cannot do that.
Is this correct ? If so, is there a work-around ?
If not, is there another digimode program that will allow me to do that ? (not necessarily decode all the signals in the split)
By the way, FlDigi can only monitor a small portion of the Flex slice. This is a great pity, and makes us miss one of the advantages of SDR. Any idea or suggestion ?
Thanks and 73
Paul F6EXV
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Multipsk in "Direct IQ Mode"  will give you 48 Khz in the special IQ waterfall.  It will also detect RSID's in that 48 kHz segment.

MixW will give you a 8 Khz waterfall if you set your Flex to a wide filter setting

All those tech experts on Gaussian stuff will point to inefficiencies when a waterfall wider than 4Khz is used for digital modes.

Andy K3UK